Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

men's health month

Options
  • 04-06-2019 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭

what's the point ?
    is there any extra evening clinics for men to get a health check - not in any of my surgeries. I'm in a risk group after illness I can't get any services from my gp.
    I try and keep an eye on things as well as I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Didn't realise that.
    I just did a search, not much about it. A few "ticking box" websites and a few mentions and links to associated websites.
    Is it just a 'ticking box' exercise?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

greenspurs wrote: »
    Is it just a 'ticking box' exercise?

seems to be , rather than some focused events ie mens health clinics in gp surgeries might be somewhere to start.

only reason i found out was a health section on irelandam this morning discussing it and how terrible men arent going to the GP.

in my experience they have nothing to offer until your properly ill

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/player/show/809/159675/0/Ireland-AM

Free breast checks for women , but we barely get the bare essentials .

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

"It is celebrated in many European countries, as well as in the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and a number of other places worldwide. The overall aims of MHW are to:
    Heighten awareness of preventable health problems for males of all ages.
    Support men and boys to engage in healthier lifestyle choices / activities.
    Encourage the early detection and treatment of health difficulties in males"

Its a load of nothing.

A lot of links, little substance to the website , or the week.

Ticking boxes.

"The starting point for this year’s conversation about improving the health of males is to recognise and acknowledge that MEN’S HEALTH MATTERS. However, this is not enough on its own. It also needs to be followed-up by action, and this requires effort.

Therefore, during this week, everyone is asked to MAKE THE TIME and TAKE THE TIME to do something realistic and practical that will make a positive difference to the health of both themselves and the men and boys that they have contact with and influence over. "

"realistic and practical" ?? like just reading a blurb on a website ?

"The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) is registered in the Republic of Ireland as a Company Limited by Guarantee (491368) and is accepted as a charity by the Revenue under Reference Number: CHY19591."

Another "Charity" , and is also receiving funds from the HSE and the Public Health Agency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

#MensHealthWeek is trending on Twitter

Nothing earthshattering to me, but nice to see some things have been improving over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I avoid a doctors surgery unless something starts that's stopping me working

Dinosaur I know but touch wood healthy enough

The CDC in the US included it in its weekly update:
    From: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention <no-reply@emailupdates.cdc.gov>
    Subject: H1N1 Flu: A Decade Later, National Men's Health Week and more features...
    https://www.cdc.gov/features/healthymen/index.html?deliveryName=USCDC_201-DM2209

• Advertisement
Advertisement