Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'd like to wish ye all

• 17-03-2019 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭

A very happy St Patrick's Day :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭harrylittle

But is st patrick happy with ireland these days !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

But is st patrick happy with ireland these days !

Yep, very.
    he was very unhappy with the period between around 1920 to 1996 though

i doubt st Patrick would be to happy

Ireland is almost a pagan nation once again as like before the days of st Patrick.

Churches are near empty whats there are mostly over 60's

christianity is taken out of schools and now hospitals

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I don't know. He was Welsh after all and they seemed to do pretty well at the weekend :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Ireland is almost a pagan nation once again as like before the days of st Patrick.

It's almost as if an increase in education and prosperity have led people to question what authority figures told them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm nearly 40 and I still go to Mass

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

branie2 wrote: »
    I'm nearly 40 and I still go to Mass

It would be interesting to see what the current demographics look like. According to Wikipedia mass attendance in Ireland has dropped from 91% in 1973 to 30% in 2011. I see Diarmuid Martin was back in the news yesterday talking about the crisis in faith in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Was there much christianity in the schools, hospitals and institutions in the first place?

I don't think there's much difference in people now, and people 30/40 years ago, probably a little less unthinking religious babble, and unthinking deference,

Incidentally I'd rather medicine in a hospital rather than religion..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,556 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

smacl wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see what the current demographics look like. According to Wikipedia mass attendance in Ireland has dropped from 91% in 1973 to 30% in 2011. I see Diarmuid Martin was back in the news yesterday talking about the crisis in faith in this country.

91% or people couldn't have actually believed in catholicism. Lots of people only went to mass because it was expected. Wouldn't the catholics be happier with 30% of people going to mass if they actually believe and want to be there?

Surely the catholics don't want atheists going to mass just to get the numbers up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,703 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

91% or people couldn't have actually believed in catholicism.
    Why not?

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Why not?

I think it’s highly unlikely that all those who attended mass would actually be there because they believed. When you consider the social and cultural pressure to attend mass, I think it’s fair to assume that not all 91% of the population believed And some went to mass because of the pressure to go to mass rather than belief.

With that said, indoctrination into catholicism was much stronger back then too so presumably more people were believer then than now. But I find it impossibly to believe that there weren’t people who attended mass for societal reasons.

What do you think?

I think it’s highly unlikely that all those who attended mass would actually be there because they believed. When you consider the social and cultural pressure to attend mass, I think it’s fair to assume that not all 91% of the population believed And some went to mass because of the pressure to go to mass rather than belief.

With that said, indoctrination into catholicism was much stronger back then too so presumably more people were believer then than now. But I find it impossibly to believe that there weren’t people who attended mass for societal reasons.

What do you think?
    I don't think it's a simple binary. You could believe more or less of the beliefs presented by the Catholic church; those which you did believe you could believe with a greater or lesser degree of conviction/hesitation; the beliefs which you did hold might be more or less important to you and your life in practice. Partly because belief was inculturated, expected, all but universal and marker of identity/belonging, a great many people may not have been motivated to examine their own beliefs in any great detail, or at all.

I agree, a 91% (or whatever) mass attendance rate can't be treated as a proxy for a 91% belief rate. But equally its an oversimplification (to be kind) to say that 91% of the population "can't have believed" in Catholicism. I don't think we can meaningfully talk of the percentage of a population that can or cannot believe something.

I don't think it's a simple binary. You could believe more or less of the beliefs presented by the Catholic church; those which you did believe you could believe with a greater or lesser degree of conviction/hesitation; the beliefs which you did hold might be more or less important to you and your life in practice. Partly because belief was inculturated, expected, all but universal and marker of identity/belonging, a great many people may not have been motivated to examine their own beliefs in any great detail, or at all.

I agree, a 91% (or whatever) mass attendance rate can't be treated as a proxy for a 91% belief rate. But equally its an oversimplification (to be kind) to say that 91% of the population "can't have believed" in Catholicism. I don't think we can meaningfully talk of the percentage of a population that can or cannot believe something.

Mass attendance can’t be used as a proxy for belief rate. Belief rate is likely to be much lower than mass attendance because of the pressures to attend mass. In the past those pressures were applied to the entire population. Now those pressures are only applied to people in catholic families, children attending catholic schools etc. Hence attendance has dropped because the people who attend mass are under much less pressure to do so. The main pressure people have to attend mass is if the actually believe and want to attend mass.

Mass attendance can’t be used as a proxy for belief rate. Belief rate is likely to be much lower than mass attendance because of the pressures to attend mass. In the past those pressures were applied to the entire population. Now those pressures are only applied to people in catholic families, children attending catholic schools etc. Hence attendance has dropped because the people who attend mass are under much less pressure to do so. The main pressure people have to attend mass is if the actually believe and want to attend mass.
    You're correct to say that mass attendance was supported by social factors. But you're overlooking the fact that belief would also have been affected by social factors. The changing social/cultural environment has likely led to a decline in both.

You're correct to say that mass attendance was supported by social factors. But you're overlooking the fact that belief would also have been affected by social factors. The changing social/cultural environment has likely led to a decline in both.

I’m pretty sure I said that there’s less indoctrination now than there was in the past. Less indoctrination lead to less belief

I’m pretty sure I said that there’s less indoctrination now than there was in the past. Less indoctrination lead to less belief
    Sorry, but are you not arguing against yourself there? If there was more Catholic indoctrination in the past, would that not suggest that Catholic belief would have been higher?

Sorry, but are you not arguing against yourself there? If there was more Catholic indoctrination in the past, would that not suggest that Catholic belief would have been higher?

Catholic belief would have been Higher due to Indoctrination, yes. Also social pressure to go to mass was greater which means the people who were unsuccessfully indoctrinated were not free to simply not go to mass without social repercussions

So higher but lower than the 91% who went to mass. Simple enough. I’ve said this in the posts above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

All I wanted to do was wish you all a Happy St Patrick's day, not start a debate on Church decline :rolleyes:

Markcheese wrote: »
    Was there much christianity in the schools, hospitals and institutions in the first place?

I don't think there's much difference in people now, and people 30/40 years ago, probably a little less unthinking religious babble, and unthinking deference,

Incidentally I'd rather medicine in a hospital rather than religion..

I'd much rather save my soul than my body ... the body only last for so many years the soul lasts forever

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd much rather save my soul than my body ... the body only last for so many years the soul lasts forever

Grand so, next time you go into hospital the doctors can just stand around you and pray.

No need to intervene in any health issue you might have using actual medical knowledge, sure whatever happens is your gods will eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Popcorn on hand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

branie2 wrote: »
    All I wanted to do was wish you all a Happy St Patrick's day, not start a debate on Church decline :rolleyes:

See what happens when you have great intentions.
    Then you've the usual pattern of people who will use your good nature to start a debate about devine intervention and undermining people's beliefs.

Just show's the logic of some people.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Grand so, next time you go into hospital the doctors can just stand around you and pray.

No need to intervene in any health issue you might have using actual medical knowledge, sure whatever happens is your gods will eh?

It does happen check out the last reformation on u tube.

... But its good to have both in a hospital .... if the medicine fails .. at least your covered with the other ... unless atheist ireland get their way and remove christianity from the hospitals

It does happen check out the last reformation on u tube.

... But its good to have both in a hospital .... if the medicine fails .. at least your covered with the other ...

So why not hedge your bets further if that is your approach, hospitals should have religious symbols for scientology, Mormons and other religions.... If medicine fails......

If you are going to demand tax payer money is spent on religion its wrong to give priority to one over the rest.

Cabaal wrote: »
    So why not hedge your bets further if that is your approach, hospitals should have religious symbols for scientology, Mormons and other religions.... If medicine fails......

If you are going to demand tax payer money is spent on religion its wrong to give priority to one over the rest.

If muslums, mormons or any other religion when out and built a hospital its only fair that they be allowed to display their religious symbols in that hospital ... it would be that hospitals religious ethos.

As the catholic church built the majority of hospitals in this country especially at a time when this country had no money its only right that they should display christian religious symbols.

As for tax payers money .... when the nuns were in charge they ran the hospitals on a tight budget and when the nuns were replaced they had to bring in expensive multi layered management to cover the work the nuns used to do for half nothing ... costing the taxpayer a fortune in extra health care costs.

Advertisement