Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Needs more cowbell ovens.

a14033f3be81b297e471ce8549182914.png

KevRossi wrote: »
    That house needs to be preserved in a time warp as a memorial to the worst of the Celtic Tiger. It has some of the worst excesses and notions of that time; fountain, grand piano, 'butlers kitchen', double garage, no real theme to the decor throughout... and it comes with a C2 BER which is crazy considering the year it was built, the size of it and the money that went into it.

I wonder will any group ever step up like the Georgian Preservation Association and agitate for these to be kept as they are.

That's quite a mish mash of themes alright - from traveller chic to Japanese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Suckler

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Nice house apart from the ceiling. Not mad about the red and black colours in the bathroom either but it's not too bad.

I'd agree, there are some elements done well (dare I even say tasteful?) but the other bits, like the ceiling, garish colours etc. just completely drown out.
    That house needs to be preserved in a time warp as a memorial to the worst of the Celtic Tiger. It has some of the worst excesses and notions of that time; fountain, grand piano, 'butlers kitchen', double garage, no real theme to the decor throughout... and it comes with a C2 BER which is crazy considering the year it was built, the size of it and the money that went into it.

So many bit's just scream "w@nker". Bedroom 4 opening in to the reception room says....weird...Pampass grass weird.
    C2 is a joke.

I've seen this so many times though; The 'designer' has a folder of random pinterest clips/design mag clippings that they bring to life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Stranmillis is quite a studenty area in Belfast so when I clicked on this one I expected to see more of the same. But I audibly gasped out loud when I saw the state of the rooms. Some developer would need an awful lot of money to get that into a fit state for habitation.

https://www.propertypal.com/34-stranmillis-gardens-belfast/675964

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

And its called Lothlorien FFS!!!
    Galadriel would have a fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Stranmillis is quite a studenty area in Belfast so when I clicked on this one I expected to see more of the same. But I audibly gasped out loud when I saw the state of the rooms. Some developer would need an awful lot of money to get that into a fit state for habitation.

Poor house :(

Looks like the last owner didn't bother and just rented it out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You wouldn't get permission out there
    That's why buying an existing site with a house is so expensive

No planning or existing house with it

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/bellavaum-inishturk-islands-mayo/3831767

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

85K for a field of rocks that they are not even sure the size of.
    Please note that the exact site boundaries of the lands for sale have not yet been fully identified and marked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

£100,000 would barely cover it? All education will be full online by 2025. Is 250,000 a suitable price for a house in that area? Everything from electrics, plumbing, roof and who knows what else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

though I suppose if you list a house for $19 you should put in a bit of effort with the listing. This is the listing for those who like a bit of house p0rn https://www.redfin.com/CA/Newport-Coast/6-Shoreview-Dr-92657/home/4748988
    And the agent stands to make up to half a million commission on the sale. I imagine it's getting all of their attention.
    85K for a field of rocks that they are not even sure the size of.
    They are also offering the sale on a subject to PP basis though, so you won't get stuck with a field of rocks.

That said, I understood for most of those islands you're not allowed build on them unless you plan on living there year-round.

seamus wrote: »
    And the agent stands to make up to half a million commission on the sale. I imagine it's getting all of their attention.

yeah the commissions get a bit silly at that level but it might take 2 or 3 years to sell it or they might not sell it at all. that house has been on the market for 14 months already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When I was looking through the photos I couldn't help but think of Nidge.

seamus wrote: »

They are also offering the sale on a subject to PP basis though, so you won't get stuck with a field of rocks.

That said, I understood for most of those islands you're not allowed build on them unless you plan on living there year-round.

"subject to PP" just means there is no planning permission for the land. it doesn't add any value to the land. it is still just a field of rocks. Given it is also in a national heritage area it will take a patient buyer with deep pockets to get a house built there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wonder will any group ever step up like the Georgian Preservation Association and agitate for these to be kept as they are.

If they had put in more insulation to get the BER rating up they might not have been able to afford to put in a powder room or dedicate an entire wing of the house to wardrobes.

I sometimes think a house that big would be great but then I realise the sheer hassle of a huge house. Imagine being in the laundry room or kitchen and realising you left your phone up in the main bedroom. It would probably be quicker just to go out and buy a new phone than go upstairs and get it.

"Honey, have you seen my slippers?"
    "I think they're in the wardrobe"
    "Which one, there's about 600 sq feet of wardrobes in the main bedroom alone".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

"subject to PP" just means there is no planning permission for the land. it doesn't add any value to the land. it is still just a field of rocks. Given it is also in a national heritage area it will take a patient buyer with deep pockets to get a house built there.

I know my County Council have a major problem when it comes to allowing one-off houses. Their policy is to only give permission if the person has a link to the area. I think most Councils have this policy. It would be easier for someone from the island to get permission than someone from the mainland.

I think you'd be p1ssing into a gale force wind trying to get permission for a house on that site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

NIMAN wrote: »
    When I was looking through the photos I couldn't help but think of Nidge.

I'd love to know the back story to the house - drug dealer or tech millionaire or what?

I'd love to know the back story to the house - drug dealer or tech millionaire or what?

Also appears to have dropped 200k in 3 years, when property prices have been rising across the board?

https://www.talkofthetown.ie/unique-haggardstown-home-jacuzzi-outdoor-water-pool-hits-market/

Smells of a CAB/Bank repossession...

retalivity wrote: »
    Also appears to have dropped 200k in 3 years, when property prices have been rising across the board?

https://www.talkofthetown.ie/unique-haggardstown-home-jacuzzi-outdoor-water-pool-hits-market/

Smells of a CAB/Bank repossession...

Love the video. You'd want some neck to call a jacks with a urinal in it a 'powder room'.

Remarkable that a house built around that time has that BER rating. Just goes to show the crap that was slapped up around then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The ceiling suggests gambler - bookie or professional poker player were my thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

2ndcoming wrote: »
    The ceiling suggests gambler - bookie or professional poker player were my thoughts.

With a wife who's into animal print and weird ornaments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

With a wife who's into animal print and weird ornaments!

Animal print is standard attire on the poker wags circuit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I used to do clear outs like that in Germany for a builder. 4 men need 4-5 days to strip it out entirely, including removing all the ceilings (floors stay in), stripping easily peeled wallpaper etc. 3-5 of the mega skips would do you, depending on whats in the garden. Probably best to remove all wiring and plumbing as well and start from scratch.

I used to love that job, was really well paid and 'finders keepers', so any stuff you found that was of value you got to keep it. Used to hit the flea market once every couple of months a flog off anything we found.

Love the video. You'd want some neck to call a jacks with a urinal in it a 'powder room'.

Remarkable that a house built around that time has that BER rating. Just goes to show the crap that was slapped up around then.

But 'powder rooms' (ahem) were all the rage in the Tiger.
    Suckler wrote: »

So many bit's just scream "w@nker". Bedroom 4 opening in to the reception room says....weird...Pampass grass weird.
    C2 is a joke.

Thought that was odd. Having a reception, someone goes to their en suite to drop the kids off at the pool and comes back to the reception room trailing the stench of shlte behind them. :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thought that was odd. Having a reception, someone goes to their en suite to drop the kids off at the pool and comes back to the reception room trailing the stench of shlte behind them. :confused:

Not only that but why does the dressing room have a balcony. That's a fairly odd choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Londons narrowest house is up for sale, 1.6 metres wide and yours for 1.1m euro

she121014_14.jpg

The new owner will have to get used to walking up and down stairs all the time

NINTCHDBPICT000608434950.jpg?w=620

https://www.winkworth.co.uk/properties/sales/goldhawk-road-shepherds-bush-w12/SHE121014

I looked at the pic and thought "it doesn't really look that narrow" and then i realised it is the blue building i was meant to look at.

Muahahaha wrote: »

The bathtub is right beside the window on the front of the house. Nice for the people living across the street to get a bit of a gawk at you in the nip every morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,151 ✭✭✭✭josip

A million pounds, London is nuts.

Very clever with the photos never to show the stairs which happens to pass through the bathroom and one of the bedrooms.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Londons narrowest house is up for sale, 1.6 metres wide and yours for 1.1m euro

Reminds of this house in Buttevant, Co. Cork. Used to be a lane way. Could possibly be got cheaper.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2324533,-8.67,3a,75y,97.19h,88.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRoaaCD4d3RQiOpuzJQCO9Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd happily live in a house like that. Paint the ceiling in the kitchen and it's quite a decent house. Might have to pay a few extra bob on heating but it's not the worst BER rating either.

Reminded me of Dublin's skinniest house that was up for sale not too long ago.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/slim-picking-check-out-dublin-s-skinniest-house-for-285k-1.3822843

285k, a relative bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,529 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

josip wrote: »
    A million pounds, London is nuts.

Very clever with the photos never to show the stairs which happens to pass through the bathroom and one of the bedrooms.
    You'd also need to be sure you close the trap door into the bedroom when drunk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,151 ✭✭✭✭josip

You'd also need to be sure you close the trap door into the bedroom when drunk!

If I ever returned home drunk, I might make it as high as the ground floor, before giving up and going asleep on a sofa.
    Not a chance of navigating the spiral stairs up another few levels unless stone cold sober.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'd happily live in a house like that. Paint the ceiling in the kitchen and it's quite a decent house. Might have to pay a few extra bob on heating but it's not the worst BER rating either.

Just a bit of fun, it's obviously a nice house, but a huge bang of Celtic Tiger OTT off it. Given the amount it must have cost to build that house, the fact that they neglected to insulate it properly is ridiculous. Given its size, imagine how cold and draughty it would be on a night like tonight? You rarely see anything less than about B2 being built these days. Good insulation and a proper BER rating is probably the main thing I would look for in a house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

josip wrote: »

Photographer probably couldn’t turn around to include the stairs in the shot without the lens hitting off the wall.

The arrangement with the stairs is a bit dodgy, though. As is the hole in the floor access to it in the top bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Photographer probably couldn’t turn around to include the stairs in the shot without the lens hitting off the wall.

The arrangement with the stairs is a bit dodgy, though. As is the hole in the floor access to it in the top bedroom.

Seen it photographed in FHM years ago. You buy it for the address to run a business out of and you bring the client for lunch. Its in Kensington if I remember rightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Check out the shower in this place (pics 18 to 20) and see if you can work out what makes it "interesting"!

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-5-liffey-terrace-chapelizod-dublin-20/2901252

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Check out the shower in this place (pics 18 to 20) and see if you can work out what makes it "interesting"!

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-5-liffey-terrace-chapelizod-dublin-20/2901252

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

I see the vessel in the shower i can't figure out how or what it's used for or to store ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

It always annoys me how daft/myhome don't ask for or provide floor plans for their listings most of the time. It has become almost the norm on the NI websites and it makes a place way more real in my head when I'm looking at the pictures.

For example, is that shower..............at the top of the stairs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I see the vessel in the shower i can't figure out how or what it's used for or to store ....
    Just a lamp shade I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

You would have a shocking good shower in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

It always annoys me how daft/myhome don't ask for or provide floor plans for their listings most of the time. It has become almost the norm on the NI websites and it makes a place way more real in my head when I'm looking at the pictures.

For example, is that shower..............at the top of the stairs?

It is fairly ridiculous when basic information is missing from ads like that. Always makes me wonder what the estate agent is trying to hide.

From the description of this place I've managed to work out that the only toilet is on the ground floor, off the dining room whereas the only shower as can be seen from the photos is upstairs on the landing with the 2 bedroom doors opening in to it.

This raises all kinds of questions and scenarios in my head. Imagine coming out of your bedroom in the morning to go to work and being greeted by the sight of your housemate's fat hairy arse in the shower right in front of you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Looks to me that the shower & bathroom is at the top of the stairs in the landing.
    Hope I'm wrong.

No way you would get a mortgage on that property in that state. That's in breach of many building regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Jokes about criminals houses are sometimes mentioned here. This is owned by a couple and the wife stole over €400,000 from her work place.
    I guess the matching curtains and three piece were expensive.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-kilshanny-mitchelstown-co-cork/2907880

Jokes about criminals houses are sometimes mentioned here. This is owned by a couple and the wife stole over €400,000 from her work place.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-kilshanny-mitchelstown-co-cork/2907880

Doesn't look like she spent it on the house. Possibly gambling issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

It's for putting your pride and dignity in.

• Advertisement

Proof that you can't buy taste.

Advertisement