Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I donate my womb?

Options
  • 20-09-2016 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭

My brother's girlfriend found out she will probably never bear her own children due to cancer. If she has a hysterectomy can I donate my womb to her so she can get pregnant herself? I want her and my brother to have their own kids and I'm happy with having 3 of my own so I really hope it's possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Far more realistic to become a surrogate to them. But Irish law is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Far more realistic to become a surrogate to them. But Irish law is a pain.

That's another reason why I'd rather donate than be a surrogate. Once my womb is in her body it's her baby and not mine legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

yes, but it won't be cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

KKkitty wrote: »
    That's another reason why I'd rather donate than be a surrogate. Once my womb is in her body it's her baby and not mine legally.

Yes sorry it's a hard subject to talk about, And you are correct. Irish law is terrible in this respect. But if it was possible I presume it will be very expensive and not covered by any insurances. You could surrogate and then legally let an adoption ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

A woman did it for her sister in the UK, so you never know I guess.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/10/uterus-transplants-my-sister-gave-me-her-womb-fertility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I seen on the news last year about the 1st ever sucessful birth via a donated womb.
    It is in its infancy right now but set to improve. I think this was in Sweden?
    But Irish laws for donation suck.
    If you are very keen maybe make a joint appointment with a gyno/ob dr and tell him/her what you are thinking and they could suggest things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I rather suspect it isn't an operation that would be done easily, KKkitty. It seems like this is still a hugely complex operation in its infancy as a medical procedure. I could be wrong on that, but that's the impression I'm getting. It's been done, as mentioned above, between a woman and her sister, but bear in mind that they shared genetic material that may have made the organ more receptive to transplantation between the two. As the woman you're talking about is your brother's girlfriend, there will be no genetic links between you to ease transition, and you're talking about an organ that has to be able to match to you, her and a prospective foetus without issues.

I'm not a doctor, nor is this my speciality, but I'd be dubious on the practicalities of getting this done, and suggest not getting your hopes too high on it. But there's no harm in talking with a gynocologist/doctor about it all and getting their views.

Best of luck, it's a kind thing you're trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Honestly never heard of it.

Mad website:

http://www.donatebits.com/how-to-donate-uterus-for-money/

Advertisement