Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trial of Jobstown 17-year-old who trapped Joan Burton in her car begins- is it right?

Options
  • 19-09-2016 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

Seems Joan Burton herself had to come in through the side door of the children's court to avoid protesters.

This hue and cry has been going on over a long time now. Joan is crying false imprisonment and the protesters want the charges dropped entirely.

I'm not sure what I think about it to be honest - being stuck in your car for an hour at a protest doesn't exactly strike me as being on a par with being bundled into a room you can't leave against your will. With that said, if a law has been broken then why do the protesters think that the charges should be dropped entirely? They are complaining of political policing but are they not calling for the law to be applied in a political way in this case?

What do ye think? Who is right on this one, or are both sides wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Happy enough to let a jury of my (and their) peers decide on the merits of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Labour of Love was a cracking song.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If found guilty he should suffer the consequences. However I fear that may be the usual slap on the wrist:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Presumably a jury, after hearing prosecution and defence arguments can decide if the law was broken by the individual concerned, and if it was, a judge can then make a determination as to the appropriate penalty for same.

I really don't see the problem in allowing the rule and process of law be played out. Screaming "political policing" sounds like a smokescreen to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

The thing about this that really does not sit well with me is the fact that this clearly would not have progressed to this stage if it had been an ordinary citizen in the car. The only reason this has been pursued this far is because it was a politician in that car. It's fairly obvious that the DPP was politically influenced into progressing charges and that's not how the law or politics should work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I am happy that the rule of law is been applied. She allegedly broke the law, so let a jury decide.

Also, dont think we are allowed to discuss ongoing court cases here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

This is going to be one of them tricky ones for the courts to deal with..

A 17 year old youth, who it is alleged trapped someone in a car over Irish Water.

And an Ex FG TD who allegedly assaulted a bar patron with a broken glass over Irish Water.

What s the appropriate punishment in either case,' assuming guilty verdicts are returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

jiltloop wrote: »
    The thing about this that really does not sit well with me is the fact that this clearly would not have progressed to this stage if it had been an ordinary citizen in the car. The only reason this has been pursued this far is because it was a politician in that car. It's fairly obvious that the DPP was politically influenced into progressing charges and that's not how the law or politics should work.

if it had not been a politician in the car then the mob would not have surrounded it. and if it had been an ordinary joe soap in the car i would hope the DPP does the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

This is going to be one of them tricky ones for the courts to deal with..

A 17 year old youth, who it is alleged trapped someone in a car over Irish Water.

And an Ex FG TD who allegedly assaulted a bar patron with a broken glass over Irish Water.

What s the appropriate punishment in either case,' assuming guilty verdicts are returned.

What has that got to do with this case.

Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Trial begins, so we're unfortunately not allowed to comment on the issue. I'll open it again when there's a verdict (remind me!)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement