Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options
  • 18-09-2016 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Please help. I went into my sitting room this morning and found about 20 dying blue bottles on the floor.
    I have a kitchenette so the bin was close by. The floor the were on is beside the huge balcony door and window. All my windows and doors were locked.
    I'm freaked out because they weren't there last night when I was going to bed.
    Help!!! I've lived in the apartment 3 years and this has never happened. My home is always clean. I don't know what attracted them except maybe the bin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Your apartment is haunted.

You'll need to burn it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

don't drop acid before you go to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Finish them off you monster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

A poltergeist has entered your household. Be careful OP, the dead do not rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Dead blue bottles are a sign of demons call a priest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Move. Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Sounds like your pet blue bottle had a party last night and had a few too many friends over and all got hammered.

Just talk to him and explain you won't tolerate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You don't have a bluebottle problem, you have a maggot problem. Clean your bin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

They came out of your arse. Had been gestating for weeks.

• Advertisement

I was away for a few days recently, and when I came back there were a lot of tiny flies in the apartment. I was confused because the bins were clean, but it seems they were attracted to the empty wine bottles I'd left in the kitchen for recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I was away for a few days recently, and when I came back there were a lot of tiny flies in the apartment. I was confused because the bins were clean, but it seems they were attracted to the empty wine bottles I'd left in the kitchen for recycling.

Careful there.. nothing worse than a gang of drunken flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Got my cavity walls pumped with insulation last year and suddenly we had a biblical style infestation of bluebottles at the sitting room window.

We had to hoover them off the window several times daily.They would reappear about 20 at a time.After a few weeks they died off.
    The only thing we thought could have caused it was the insulation must have disturbed a nest of the fcukers.

Bastard bluebottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JmcSal

You don't have a bluebottle problem, you have a maggot problem. Clean your bin

My bin has been emptied. There would have been fruit and veg leftovers in it but no meat. I throw my meat in a seperate bag and straight to the wheelie bin. Since this post another 7/8 live ones have appeared on the window. I am just spraying and chasing them out. I closed my vents. I don't know what else to do.

Lol well thaaaaanks for that

Got my cavity walls pumped with insulation last year and suddenly we had a biblical style infestation of bluebottles at the sitting room window.

We had to hoover them off the window several times daily.They would reappear about 20 at a time.After a few weeks they died off.
    The only thing we thought could have caused it was the insulation must have disturbed a nest of the fcukers.

Bastard bluebottles.
    A few weeks?? Oh I don't think I'd last that long. Thanks. My friends have suggested maybe a dead mouse in the walls or floorboards. I don't know how I'd find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Possibly Cluster Flies, OP. About the right time for them.

Stigura wrote: »
    Possibly Cluster Flies, OP. About the right time for them.

What are these? How do they get in the house? And how can I get rid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Sort answer would be to google them. It's all on there.

Basically though; They're a fly that, to the layman, would be Blow Flies. No body'd know the difference.

Bit like wood mice, they gravitate to homes around this time of 'year'. It's the cooling temperatures outside.

Great news is; They're basically completely harmless. They won't sh1t on ye food. Hoover them up and be done with. More often found in roof spaces. But, flies can't access google. So, how should they know that?

• Advertisement

Stigura wrote: »
    Sort answer would be to google them. It's all on there.

Basically though; They're a fly that, to the layman, would be Blow Flies. No body'd know the difference.

Bit like wood mice, they gravitate to homes around this time of 'year'. It's the cooling temperatures outside.

Great news is; They're basically completely harmless. They won't sh1t on ye food. Hoover them up and be done with. More often found in roof spaces. But, flies can't access google. So, how should they know that?

Lol thanks. Hopefully that's all they are. And they'll be gone soon. Give me spiders any day. These things just give me the creeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

JmcSal wrote: »
    Lol thanks. Hopefully that's all they are. And they'll be gone soon. Give me spiders any day. These things just give me the creeps.

post fifty euro to my address for a quick solution

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I stopped throwing food in my kitchen bin years ago, OP.
    The thoughts of it!
    I bring leftover scraps and bits out to the black bin outside but I never put food in the kitchen bin.
    The kitchen bin is used for recycling now and it's great.
    Never get that nasty bin smell or flies anymore.
    I shudder when I'm in someone's house and they put food in the bin.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I stopped throwing food in my kitchen bin years ago, OP.
    The thoughts of it!
    I bring leftover scraps and bits out to the black bin outside but I never put food in the kitchen bin.
    The kitchen bin is used for recycling now and it's great.
    Never get that nasty bin smell or flies anymore.
    I shudder when I'm in someone's house and they put food in the bin.

I'll be doing that from now on. Although the odd fruit fly in my home is all I've ever had.
    I rarely eat meat and when I do my meat waste is thrown straight to the wheelie bin. On examining the latest deader, they're definately blue bottles. I think they're may be a dead mouse under my floor or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

JmcSal wrote: »
    I'll be doing that from now on. Although the odd fruit fly in my home is all I've ever had.
    I rarely eat meat and when I do my meat waste is thrown straight to the wheelie bin. On examining the latest deader, they're definately blue bottles. I think they're may be a dead mouse under my floor or something.

Bluebottles are not as a result of food waste in a bin, if there's no raw meat there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

Bluebottles are not as a result of food waste in a bin, if there's no raw meat there.

So more than likely what you've said, a dead mouse or bird somewhere.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You need to buy yourself a box of hornets. Label the box with a big H so you know they are hornets.

http://66.media.tumblr.com/37c6a9e6d554bd8a4b1d8b8894d15b38/tumblr_mt14npYdkY1shfemwo1_500.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Blue Bottles. Short story title. Mysterious. Haunted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

We tend to get an influx of bluebottles in September/October every year.

It usually occurs when September is particularly warm.

While every window is closed, there could be a dozen flies lying on the window sill by the next morning. They can get into the smallest cracks in double glazing.

They will disappear in a cold snap. Just keep a vacuum cleaner handy. You can also get poison pens (like a Tippex pen) to rub on the window frames.

Advertisement