Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zed or Zee?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Zed.

...unless of course you're American, or a DJ on Radio Nova.

It's zed, zee sounds too much like C if you're spelling something out.

Agreed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's zed in Ireland and the UK. Zee is American.

I remember learning the letter as zee on Sesame Street and my grandmother correcting me when to pronounce it as "zed.":o:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Zed Zed Top rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I used to get in trouble in primary school for saying Zee. I was the only Sesame Street fan in the school. It must have clashed with the Sunday game or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Just thinking; I guess the Zed lot say Zebra and the Zee's say Zeebra :confused:

What is this place doing to my f**king mind?!?

Zee sounds too much like the letter C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

It's zed and I'll fight to the death anyone who says otherwise. That's how I feel. Now if only I knew why.

You're my sort of head case, Butters! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

I KNOW its Zed, but I still can't help pronouncing it Ahzed. Zee doesn't enter into the debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Try pronuoncing it in Spanish. That's a whole other ball. It's more like TH. Anyone who never had a lisp just acquires one by trying to pronounce 'z' properly e.g. beer which is cerveza but pronounced more like cervetha.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Shint0 wrote: »
    Try pronuoncing it in Spanish. That's a whole other ball. It's more like TH. Anyone who never had a lisp just acquires one by trying to pronounce 'z' properly e.g. beer which is cerveza but pronounced more like cervetha.

I share your pain. I had a Spanish lad try to get me to properly pronounce Velasquez. I found it impossible.

Shint0 wrote: »

So; That's where Ibiza comes from then? Cool. I never knew that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Zed bring out the gimp.

It's zee all the way baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Zee's dead baby. Zee's dead. doesnt have the same ring to it

Zed. But I hear zee a lot thanks to my American girlfriend. We've discussed it before. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Do NOT get me started. NO really… :pac:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement