Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why The Horrible Attitude Towards Homosexuality?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 marc_cerebis

Going back to the original post, why does christianity hate homosexuality?, there's a very simple reason that has nothing to do with anything as prosaic as sin, it's all about increasing the indoctrinated base.

This is common across most religions, which also have in common the impetus to "spread the word" by passing on the meme to not just people in "uncivilised" parts of the world, but also their own children. And the more children the better.

Gay people do not perform the basic duty of reproducing, and creating new members of the religion, therefore each religion demonises those "non-contributing" members of their flocks.

All the big religions go as far as prohibiting even masturbation as being a sinful waste of sperm, which should rightfully be used in the service of god by being dedicated to making babies, which in turn will be infected by the meme of that religion. That's the self-propogating force behind all religions.

(Meme is an idea, almost in the form of a virus, that passes from person to person)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Hardrain wrote: »
    Recently through work I met a nice girl, bright, funny and a real pleasure to be around. Her being a christian came up and I told her I was an atheist, we laughed and called ourselves the odd couple. While I am against religion and all it teaches I respected her beliefs and found her working with the elderly and sick to be very admirable and selfless.

Which brings me to my point/question. My friend dropped in to give me my mobile back I had left in his house, said girl was very impressed and commented on how cute he was. When I told her he was gay something amazing happened. Her face turned into a look of rage and she preccded to go into a rant about how he was 'sick' 'disgusting' and wrong.

She become almost out of control banging on about it being against god and such like.

I found it quite disturbing that someone so bright could turn into such a bigot, why can't two people of the same sex be happy together? Do you not find it irrational to label someone who is homosexual to be happy with their choices in who they see?

Do you really base it all on the bible? Do you honestly find it a sin for people to be happy? Is the message of Christianity not to be kind, tolerant and even be happy for someone to be happy?

Even the Catholic Church does not teach that Gays are "'sick' 'disgusting' and wrong". (the condemn the sin and not the sinner) Not that I am saying gays are sinners just the fact that the church does not pass judgement on a person like this. Society needs to open up to them, its part of humanity, there have always been gay people. You will always have the religous crackpot, but a true Catholic should never criticise or belittle a gay person, they should respect the person for who they are. The Catholic stance on Homosexuality is a hard one, but its a view and thats it. The Girl you know should have kept her opinions to herself, For sure she does not speak for true Christians.

If a Guy is gay, let him be out and open, for Gods sack, better than living in a closet and trying (and failing) to meet a standard.

The Church also teachs "Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

PDN wrote: »
    Also, in societies with a higher acceptance of same-sex couples, kids in such homes are much less likely to be bullied. I dread to think what it would be like trying to grow up and go to school in many parts of Ireland while having a home with same-sex parents.

It's interesting you should say this - I remember an article I read a few years ago - can't remember the details, but if you feel like going on a research binge (which I'm sure is just what you want to do on a Sunday afternoon) it was in the Irish Times Magazine within the last two or three years. It was about a lesbian couple living in Galway(?), one of whom had a son, and they brought him up through the Irish education system.

One thing that surprised me about the article was that the couple had been completely open about their relationship, and as a result had formed close bonds with the whole community - particularly with other couples who had aspects to their own relationships they weren't usually public about. (Divorce, etc.)

IIRC, their son did get picked on a little, verbally, at school, but took it well and made good friends. I think he was doing his leaving cert when the article was written, preparing to study law.

I'm sure that this wouldn't be the case invariably, but it is interesting to me how this one case had completely the opposite result from what I'd have expected, especially (as you say) in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Going back to the original post, why does christianity hate homosexuality?, there's a very simple reason that has nothing to do with anything as prosaic as sin, it's all about increasing the indoctrinated base.

This is common across most religions, which also have in common the impetus to "spread the word" by passing on the meme to not just people in "uncivilised" parts of the world, but also their own children. And the more children the better.

Gay people do not perform the basic duty of reproducing, and creating new members of the religion, therefore each religion demonises those "non-contributing" members of their flocks.

All the big religions go as far as prohibiting even masturbation as being a sinful waste of sperm, which should rightfully be used in the service of god by being dedicated to making babies, which in turn will be infected by the meme of that religion. That's the self-propogating force behind all religions.

(Meme is an idea, almost in the form of a virus, that passes from person to person)

The meme is a concept. Assuming it exists - and I would contend that it explains little beyond what "teaching" already explains - no one knows what it looks like or where it is to be found. Therefore, I'm not sure where attributing homophobia within religion to memes (while ignoring the secular equivalent) gets us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Congratulations! You have managed the awesome feat of asking a question which contains a false premise, and then answering your own question with an incorrect answer. It usually takes people years of posting in the BCP thread before their brains get scrambled enough to do that - but you've managed it as a newbie to boards.ie with only 7 posts to your name. I am impressed!

Firstly, Christianity doesn't hate homosexuality.

Secondly, if viewing homosexual acts as sin was due to reproductivity then Christianity would happily embrace those who get married and procreate, but also indulge in homosexual acts on the side. At the same time Christianity would condemn anyone who chose the path of celibacy. Since this is obviously not the case, your answer to your own question is facile and specious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Yes, I too think this girl's reaction was OTT.

She would be right to express some level of disapproval, as we all do at theft, bullying, lying, or any of the many sins we encounter frequently, for homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of the Christian.

But since it is an offence against God rather than me, I leave it between them and God. I express my disgust at a degrading behaviour, but I don't treat it like sins that do harm to the innocent. In a way it calls forth as much pity as disgust, for the homosexual is degrading himself. I grieve for their folly and seek to point them away from its consequences.

Where I do enter confrontation with homosexuals is when they seek to impose their culture on me: to force me to say their behaviour is not sinful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Sorry, my sense of humour can be an acquired taste. My wife has been married to me for for 23 years and she still hasn't acquired it.

My feelings about adoption are that it should always be in the best interests of the child, not the adoptive parents.

I would be OK with a same-sex couple adopting a child in Scandanavia, but not so much in Ireland. That may sound confusing or contradictory - so let me explain.

Adopted kids often have to overcome problems of identity and feeling unwanted or rejected. Therefore it can be even more damaging than for birth children when a couple splits up. Couples that are not married are, statistically speaking, more likely to split up than married couples. I would oppose adoption by any couple that are not married or in some form of pretty binding civil partnership. Since Ireland is lagging behind with such legislation for same-sex couples, that places the adopted child in a less secure environment than in a Scandanavian country where same sex marriages or civil partnerships are recognised. (I am not stereotyping here, and I know there are plenty of exceptions, but when setting policy you have to examine what criteria are statistically significant).

Also, in societies with a higher acceptance of same-sex couples, kids in such homes are much less likely to be bullied. I dread to think what it would be like trying to grow up and go to school in many parts of Ireland while having a home with same-sex parents. I would also be opposed to Christian couples adopting children in Afghanistan or China!

I know this may seem heartless or rough on same sex couples - but the child's interests must be paramount (for similar reasons I would be opposed to single people adopting children). I don't think anyone has an inalienable right to adopt.

You are simply trying to rationalise your own prejudices there. You are saying that adopted kids from same sex couple will have a hard time in school in Ireland so they should not be allowed to adopt.

They will only have a hard time if they have grown up in households where they were told that there was something wrong with homosexuality. You are saying that because there are some people out there like yourself how have a problem with homosexuality, homosexuals should be denied adoption rights.

We could equally apply you logic to immigrants. Should a black couple have the right to adopt a white child? Some children will come from households where this will be frowned upon. They may be bullied consequently. According to your logic above we should not allow that in Ireland due to

Social policy should not be determined by bullies in national school. You are using young bullies as a proxy from your own intolerance. You are transferring your own prejudices on to them.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    You are simply trying to rationalise your own prejudices there. You are saying that adopted kids from same sex couple will have a hard time in school in Ireland so they should not be allowed to adopt.

They will only have a hard time if they have grown up in households where they were told that there was something wrong with homosexuality. You are saying that because there are some people out there like yourself how have a problem with homosexuality, homosexuals should be denied adoption rights.

We could equally apply you logic to immigrants. Should a black couple have the right to adopt a white child? Some children will come from households where this will be frowned upon. They may be bullied consequently. According to your logic above we should not allow that in Ireland due to

Social policy should not be determined by bullies in national school. You are using young bullies as a proxy from your own intolerance. You are transferring your own prejudices on to them.

So I'm prejudiced against gays in Ireland but not against gays in Scandanavia? I also said that for the same reason I would be opposed to Christians in Afghanistan or China adopting children - so that must mean I'm prejudiced against Christians too?

Maybe you should try thinking a bit more before you make ill-informed and irrational judgements against other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

wolfsbane wrote: »
    In a way it calls forth as much pity as disgust, for the homosexual is degrading himself. I grieve for their folly and seek to point them away from its consequences.

Where I do enter confrontation with homosexuals is when they seek to impose their culture on me: to force me to say their behaviour is not sinful.

Disgusting bigoted post. I really wonder do you live in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 marc_cerebis

Congratulations! You have managed the awesome feat of asking a question which contains a false premise, and then answering your own question with an incorrect answer. It usually takes people years of posting in the BCP thread before their brains get scrambled enough to do that - but you've managed it as a newbie to boards.ie with only 7 posts to your name. I am impressed!

Firstly, Christianity doesn't hate homosexuality.

Secondly, if viewing homosexual acts as sin was due to reproductivity then Christianity would happily embrace those who get married and procreate, but also indulge in homosexual acts on the side. At the same time Christianity would condemn anyone who chose the path of celibacy. Since this is obviously not the case, your answer to your own question is facile and specious.

I wasn't aware there was a certain number of posts I had to reach before it was ok to put forward a premise that you found disagreeable. I do appreciate you pointing that out to me, makes me feel all welcome and warm on this forum. It's the kind of tolerance I would expect from someone who has wilfully blinded themselves to the failings of their religion.

I fully accept that you as a christian, you may not condemn homosexuality, christianity (in pretty much all of its institutionalised forms) does.

And as regards your point about people getting married and having homosexual affairs on the side ... now who's proving my point? That is exactly what generations of men (and women) have done in order to fit the accepted norm.

And it wasn't my question, as I am sure you are well aware, as you commented on this thread early on.

• Advertisement

So I'm prejudiced against gays in Ireland but not against gays in Scandanavia? I also said that for the same reason I would be opposed to Christians in Afghanistan or China adopting children - so that must mean I'm prejudiced against Christians too?

Maybe you should try thinking a bit more before you make ill-informed and irrational judgements against other people.

I thought plenty about it. I think as a moderator you should not get so personal.

I raised valid points. You chose to ignore them and come back with personal abuse instead. Bad form.

I thought plenty about it. I think as a moderator you should not get so personal.

I raised valid points. You chose to ignore them and come back with personal abuse instead. Bad form.

No, you got personal when you falsely accused me of prejudices instead of addressing the actual issues in my post. Now you start accusing me of personal abuse because I point out what you were doing.

If you want to discuss the issues here then feel free to post away. If you're trying to pick a fight, or wanting to discuss how a moderator should behave then you'll be out of here faster than your feet can touch the ground. The choice is yours.

I wasn't aware there was a certain number of posts I had to reach before it was ok to put forward a premise that you found disagreeable. I do appreciate you pointing that out to me, makes me feel all welcome and warm on this forum. It's the kind of tolerance I would expect from someone who has wilfully blinded themselves to the failings of their religion.
    Disagreeing with you, albeit in a mildly humorous form, hardly constitutes intolerance. Welcome to the internet!

Accusing me of being wilfully blind might make you feel better, but it doesn't alter the failings of your previous post. Christianity teaches that homosexual acts are sinful and therefore incompatible with Christian faith and practice - but that is hardly hatred. Would you say that Jews hate bacon?
    And as regards your point about people getting married and having homosexual affairs on the side ... now who's proving my point? That is exactly what generations of men (and women) have done in order to fit the accepted norm.
    Time to accuse me of intolerance again, because I'm going to disagree with you again. What I said certainly doesn't prove your point, because such behaviour is seen as sinful and wrong by the church.

In fact most Christians would see the guy with lots of kids and yet indulging in a gay affair as being much more reprehensible than someone who only indulges in gay sex. At least the second person isn't being a total scumbag, whereas the first person is cheating on a wife, breaking his marriage vows, and lying to his children

Christianity maintains the same teaching on homosexual acts whether or not the person is exclusively homosexual in their activity or whether they also father twenty children as well. So to argue that its all about reproduction is illogical and simply wrong.
    And it wasn't my question, as I am sure you are well aware, as you commented on this thread early on.
    Actually it was your question. The original poster (Hardrain) commented on the behaviour of an individual and asked if this was typical of Christianity and if such attitudes were supported by the Bible. In doing so they demonstrated how non-believers can ask questions on this forum, express disagreement with the Christian position if they choose, but at least make a genuine attempt to understand us and to avoid inaccurate and sweeping generalisations.

Hardrain's question was a good one and well expressed, and it received a polite answer. Yours was a poor one and badly expressed, and you answered it yourself with an equally poor answer.

In this forum we welcome non-believers who are prepared to ask questions, enter into dialogue, and express their disagreements in a way that is consistent with the Charter. We don't welcome those who come in spoiling for a fight and making false accusations and sweeping generalisations against the faith. You would be wise to take note.

No, you got personal when you falsely accused me of prejudices instead of addressing the actual issues in my post. Now you start accusing me of personal abuse because I point out what you were doing.

You have already stated that homosexuality is sinful. That is a prejudice. Now please address the points in my post.
    If you want to discuss the issues here then feel free to post away. If you're trying to pick a fight, or wanting to discuss how a moderator should behave then you'll be out of here faster than your feet can touch the ground. The choice is yours.

I don't think its appropriate to be threatening me like that.

Sigh. You were warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

You have already stated that homosexuality is sinful. That is a prejudice. Now please address the points in my post.

Any sexual relations outside of marriage are deemed to be sinful in Christianity. It's by no means a special case. This is the moral standard that is put forward in the Christian faith for the most part.

In fairness, if people are going to start a thread claiming that we have a "horrible attitude" towards homosexuals because we merely disagree with the ethics of homosexual acts that is their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Actually, according to Christian Doctrine it's a sin, so I'm not sure if you can actually classify it as prejudice. This has confused me a bit, Christians know that God's word is absolute so from that point of view it isn't prejudice.
    Yet to someone like Euro it clearly is prejudice because well s/he sees nothing wrong with homosexuality at all.
    A conflict that clearly need a resolution...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I think you're misunderstanding me (accidentally I'm sure).
    Not so much accidentally, as perhaps inevitably, since your original post was ambiguous -- no doubt accidentally.
    I'm not saying that homosexual acts are in any way a recent development. Men have always cheerfully rogered other men, sometimes in much greater numbers than in our present culture. Animals, too, engage in homosexual activity.
    We agree -- hallelujah!
    What appears to be a more recent development is identifying homosexuality as a condition or even as an identity, where someone defines themself as exclusively homosexual.
    Men and women have "identified" themselves (in the many ways you can choose to interpret this) as homosexual for a very long time indeed. Though certainly not where the monotheistic religions held sway, since it was frequently life-threatening to do so. But in those times and places where it was safe to do so, people did. The Ancient Greeks rejoiced in male homosexuality and Plato gave it top billing in his magnificent Symposium and records suggest that it was common in ancient India, China, Thailand and many other places.
    My own opinion is that mankind (and particularly the male of the species) are pretty well omnisexual by nature. Given the right opportunity they will happily copulate with men, women, their right hand, rubber dolls, vacuum cleaners and anything else that provides a tight fit.
    I bow to your superior knowledge of the fun to be had with a vacuum cleaner.

However, your implication that one can consciously choose whom one finds sexually attractive is not seriously supported by any facts that I'm aware of. In simple terms, most research suggests quite the opposite, that humans are genetically predisposed to find males and females separately sexually attractive in separate continuums -- think of two sliders, one for attraction to males, and one for attraction to females -- with few people 100% heterosexual, and few 100% homosexual.
    Our various cultures allow and facilitate different expressions of sexual behaviour, and the Christian church has a particular set of sexual activities which are deemed permissable, and a whole lot more that are not.
    Jesus is famously silent on male and female homosexuality, and if one is going to ignore the nasty stuff in Leviticus, then the rules on who can sleep with whom come not from Jesus, but from the many and various interpretations of Paul's decidedly ambiguous prose.

And even allowing the most arm-waving of interpretations, Paul can't really bring himself to say exactly what's permitted and what's not. His prose reminds me of that splendidly orotund, not to say tumescent, document on human sexuality produced by the Vatican some years back which rambles on for seventy or so pages about what's in and what's out, so to speak, without once mentioning a body part, or specifying what can and cannot be done with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The meme is a concept. Assuming it exists - and I would contend that it explains little beyond what "teaching" already explains - no one knows what it looks like or where it is to be found.
    Hmmm... you've been reading that frightful Alistair McGrath again? Contrary to what McG appears in all sincerity, to think, memes have been defined, categorized and documented at book-length by quite a few people.

There's also a certain richly enjoyable irony in McG suggestion that memes don't exist because nobody knows what they look like, nor where they're to be found, when one recalls that he continually forgets to apply the same existential requirements to the deity he believes exists.
    Therefore, I'm not sure where attributing homophobia within religion to memes (while ignoring the secular equivalent) gets us.
    Have a read of marc_cerebis's post again if you didn't get it the first time -- the point is that by evolving a prohibition against homosexuality a religion can provide itself with a selective advantage over religions which don't evolve the prohibition. And as with the spread throughout the population of a beneficial genetic adaption, a memetic mutation that provides a selective advantage to a religion will tend to spread over time at the expense of religions which don't include the adaption.

BTW, Marc could have added that defining a small non-reproducing section of society as an outgroup will tend to reinforce the ingroup bonding that's a part of most religions, thereby producing a group-level selective advantage over religions that don't have the prohibition.

One can certainly appreciate the elegant solution that evolution has developed, even if one heartily detests the human misery it causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Jakkass wrote: »
    In fairness, if people are going to start a thread claiming that we have a "horrible attitude" towards homosexuals because we merely disagree with the ethics of homosexual acts that is their agenda.
    Im sure you have pondered that labelling homosexuality a "sin" could likely lead to bigotry, ignorance and hatred.

Teaching fragile gullible (kids) minds that it is a sin causes hurt on many levels. But such is the "word of god"

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    Not so much accidentally, as perhaps inevitably, since your original post was ambiguous -- no doubt accidentally.
    Well that makes a nice change. Usually, in my efforts to avoid ambiguity, I get accused of being long-winded.
    We agree -- hallelujah!
    Even a stopped cllock is right twice a day (now that is ambiguous!)
    Men and women have "identified" themselves (in the many ways you can choose to interpret this) as homosexual for a very long time indeed. Though certainly not where the monotheistic religions held sway, since it was frequently life-threatening to do so. But in those times and places where it was safe to do so, people did. The Ancient Greeks rejoiced in male homosexuality and Plato gave it top billing in his magnificent Symposium and records suggest that it was common in ancient India, China, Thailand and many other places.
    The Ancient Greeks (or at least some of them) rejoiced in male homosexual behaviour, but, according to our old friend wikipedia: "The ancient Greeks did not conceive of sexual orientation as a social identifier, as Western societies have done for the past century. Greek society did not distinguish sexual desire or behavior by the gender of the participants, but by the extent to which such desire or behavior conformed to social norms. These norms were based on gender, age and social status." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_ancient_Greece
    I bow to your superior knowledge of the fun to be had with a vacuum cleaner.
    I did used to be an atheist. Remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

... but I think it's lazy and inaccurate to try to label Christian views on sexuality as homophobia.

Merrian-Webster defines homophobia as "irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals"

By this definition it is very accurate to label christian views as homophobic. Homophobia can come in many forms. It is quite clear that christian doctrine labels homosexuality as a sin. Therefore, according to christian teachings, homosexual people can be precluded from eternal salvation because of their sexuality. Clearly, denying someone such an important privilege based purely on their homosexuality is a form of homophobia. Denying someone a job because of their homosexuality would be classed as homophobia by any reasonable person. How then can anyone claim that denying eternal salvation based on the person's homosexuality is not homophobia?

More importantly, from an atheist point of view (mine), the psychological damage and stress inflicted on christian homosexuals who are told that their sexual preferences are sinful is clearly a form of homophobia.

Merrian-Webster defines homophobia as "irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals"

By this definition it is very accurate to label christian views as homophobic. Homophobia can come in many forms. It is quite clear that christian doctrine labels homosexuality as a sin. Therefore, according to christian teachings, homosexual people can be precluded from eternal salvation because of their sexuality. Clearly, denying someone such an important privilege based purely on their homosexuality is a form of homophobia. Denying someone a job because of their homosexuality would be classed as homophobia by any reasonable person. How then can anyone claim that denying eternal salvation based on the person's homosexuality is not homophobia?

More importantly, from an atheist point of view (mine), the psychological damage and stress inflicted on christian homosexuals who are told that their sexual preferences are sinful is clearly a form of homophobia.

Hmm, just curious to know where the Christian Atheist stands on this....was Jesus anti-homosexuals?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

So what do you suggest Christianity do? Reject what we hold up as Gods guidance (Bible), decide to be subjective in what we find sinful and moral, and virtually stick two fingers up at our creator? Shall we do the same with fornication. 'Oh I love swingers parties, but this Christianity malarky is stressing me out.' Its simple, If you wish to be Christian, there are standards and objective morality. If you want to engage in activity which God deems sinful, you have a choice to make. Do you want to please God, or do you want to indulge yourself. Unfortunately a path many have taken, is that they've sought to pretend that in fact God has no issue with their particular desire. I am a sinner, I sin frequently. I have many times allowed my own desires come before God. The difference is, I don't try pretend that actually, its perfectly ok. I take my shame and guilt and turn it to remorse and seek forgiveness.
    In the context of homosexuality, I find many Christians seem to run scared from 'Homophobe'. I think its a political weasel word personally. It has suceeded in stigmatising anyone who expresses an objective morality on the subject. Its a toothless word to me now, though many fear its teeth are razors. If someone says 'Homophobe', they could be talking about a violent Gay Basher filled with hatread, or a peaceloving person who happens to believe in objective morality. By casting it at someone though, will have the wolves decend on that person in seconds flat. The mob have a field day with it.

Also, this whole logic about, 'Yeah, but if you say its sinful, then that will cause people to hate or be violent towards homosexuals etc' is just nonsense. By that logic, if someone goes out and kills a load of burglers we can say 'Its societies fault for saying stealing is wrong'.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Hmm, just curious to know where the Christian Atheist stands on this....was Jesus anti-homosexuals?

If we believe that Jesus was the Word of God. That he was the 'I Am' that spoke to Moses in the burning bush, and that he is One with The Father and the Holy Spirit. That the bible is Gods revelation to man through his servants and Prophets, then it is clear that he is against homosexuality, or rather, homosexuality is against him.

JimiTime wrote: »
    Also, this whole logic about, 'Yeah, but if you say its sinful, then that will cause people to hate or be violent towards homosexuals etc' is just nonsense.

With respect, that is not what is being said. We are merely pointing out that for somebody thinking they are a sin and always will be and thus have no chance of salvation is pretty dam depressing I'd have to say.
    If we believe that Jesus was the Word of God. That he was the 'I Am' that spoke to Moses in the burning bush, and that he is One with The Father and the Holy Spirit, and that the bible is Gods revelation to man through his servants and Prophets, then it is clear that he is against homosexuality.

That's definitely not the Christian Atheist doctrine, you're refering to there, you're own maybe? But you're not an atheist are you??:P

With respect, that is not what is being said. We are merely pointing out that for somebody thinking they are a sin and always will be and thus have no chance of salvation is pretty dam depressing I'd have to say.

Thats not the case though. A person who desires sex with members of their own gender 'can' gain salvation as far as I'm aware. They must first accept that to act on such desires is sinful though, otherwise they are divided against themselves, disobeying the golden rule, 'LOVE GOD'. Also, anyone who truly takes the good news of the kingdom into their hearts may have times of being down, and moments of weakness, but the hope, happiness and solace it brings is more than enough to keep us from drowning in such depresion.

That's definitely not the Christian Atheist doctrine, you're refering to there, you're own maybe? But you're not an atheist are you??:P

Apologies, I thought it was a Christian\Atheist thing i.e A question for christians and atheists, as I didn't think the term 'Christian Atheist' made sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

.Thats not the case though. A person who desires sex with members of their own gender 'can' gain salvation as far as I'm aware. They must first accept that to act on such desires is sinful though, otherwise they are divided against themselves, disobeying the golden rule, 'LOVE GOD'. Also, anyone who truly takes the good news of the kingdom into their hearts may have times of being down, and moments of weakness, but the hope, happiness and solace it brings is more than enough to keep us from drowning in such depresion

Just to clarify, are you saying that acting on such impulses are "moments of weakness" and depression? Or am I misunderstanding? If so, you could probably see how i came to this conclusion seeing as all of that was contained in the same paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'm sorry, but you obviously haven't been paying attention. Christianity isn't "anti-homosexuals".

• Advertisement

Because Christianity doesn't deny anyone access to salvation. God determines who is saved or not, and Christianity simply says, "We believe that the Bible reveals to us principles necessary to salvation."

So, I'm presuming you believe in God and salvation, yes? You wouldn't be committing the sophistry of accusing Christianity of denying some people the privilege of obtaining something that doesn't even exist, would you?
    Ah, so it is sophistry! Do you also get outraged because Santa discriminates against bad children by not bringing them presents? What about the tooth fairy? He (she?) discriminates against children with no teeth! The swine!

Now excuse me, I'm off to the lawyers. I'm suing the estate of J.M.Barries for how my feelings have been hurt by Peter Pan. Imagine discriminating against me, saying I can't fly because of my age. Ageism!

Btw, Christianity doesn't teach that anyone's sexual preferences are sinful. It teaches that certain acts are sinful.

Advertisement