Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selling silage and hay round bales

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Sami23

Anyone have any prices for round bales silage this year yet. Would €25 be the norm again.
    Also I have about 40 of last years bales left over and thinking of selling them - again would €20 be a fair price for these. Baled dry last June ?
    Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Sami23 wrote: »
    Anyone have any prices for round bales silage this year yet. Would €25 be the norm again.
    Also I have about 40 of last years bales left over and thinking of selling them - again would €20 be a fair price for these. Baled dry last June ?
    Tia

I would prefer to buy last years stuff at 20/bale if I could collect it next winter rather than this years at 25/bale. Loads of silage around it is also lower in DM hard to know what the market will be like. Remember less cattle around compared to last year but also we are unlikly to have as short a winter. Cannot see much demand before Christmas

Slava Ukrainii

I would prefer to buy last years stuff at 20/bale if I could collect it next winter rather than this years at 25/bale. Loads of silage around it is also lower in DM hard to know what the market will be like. Remember less cattle around compared to last year but also we are unlikly to have as short a winter. Cannot see much demand before Christmas

Some good points there.
    I just can't let it go for any less that 20 either in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Depending on how winter comes there is a lot of silage made already. Only thing is with rain delaying cutting in places quality may not have been great so will be got thru a bit faster. Can't see there being a massive market for silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Mooooo wrote: »
    Depending on how winter comes there is a lot of silage made already. Only thing is with rain delaying cutting in places quality may not have been great so will be got thru a bit faster. Can't see there being a massive market for silage.

Very little good quality stuff made though, a lot of lads caught here that should of cut middle of May and ended up wit a pit of wet crap, made in June, a lot of split pits locally too, might be plenty of silage made but the feeding quality and waste will be unreal....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Mooooo wrote: »

Was raking for the contractor for a few days and there's a rotten butt in an awful lot of the places I was in. Huge crops but quality way back from last year I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

20 a bale doesn't leave a lot when you've paid someone 13 to cut and bale it.
    I was hoping for more.
    Contractor in tedding my field this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

20 a bale doesn't leave a lot when you've paid someone 13 to cut and bale it.
    I was hoping for more.
    Contractor in tedding my field this afternoon.

Probably six or seven euros worth of fertiliser (at least) going out the gate in every bale as well.

wrangler wrote: »
    Probably six or seven euros worth of fertiliser (at least) going out the gate in every bale as well.

I agree but I feel I'd be better off with all this years stuff myself heading into the winter as no matter how good last years bales are they won't hold as good as this years fresh silage would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Sami23 wrote: »
    Some good points there.
    I just can't let it go for any less that 20 either in fairness

And you'd be right!

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »

I got my field baled today (3.5 acres)
    Got roughly 40 bales. Spent 500 on fertiliser/urea/granular lime back in April. It was badly needed.

I sent a sample in to be tested today for DM etc. So should have results next week.

Now I just need to sell it. I'd need 25 /bale just to break even.

Hopefully a second cut with some free slurry thrown on will put me in the black.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I got my field baled today (3.5 acres)
    Got roughly 40 bales. Spent 500 on fertiliser/urea/granular lime back in April. It was badly needed.

I sent a sample in to be tested today for DM etc. So should have results next week.

Now I just need to sell it. I'd need 25 /bale just to break even.

Hopefully a second cut with some free slurry thrown on will put me in the black.

When is the best time to get silage tested?
    When it’s being baked or when it ready for feeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

How much are you paying for tedding per acre cash? Thanks

When is the best time to get silage tested?
    When it’s being baked or when it ready for feeding?

No idea but got a sample down today just before it got baled.

I'm not a farmer so this is all new having lived in the capital all my life.

Costs so far are 500 for fert and spreading .
    Cut to bale was 13 per bale. So it works out at 25 per bale.

A local farmer who is spreading slurry for me foc for having his weanlings out last year had 20 per bale in mind. I'd be loosing money.

Would I be mad for holding out for 25-30?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

No idea but got a sample down today just before it got baled.

I'm not a farmer so this is all new having lived in the capital all my life.

Costs so far are 500 for fert and spreading .
    Cut to bale was 13 per bale. So it works out at 25 per bale.

A local farmer who is spreading slurry for me foc for having his weanlings out last year had 20 per bale in mind. I'd be loosing money.

Would I be mad for holding out for 25-30?

I made silage bales a few years back with a view to selling them. Disaster! It only works if you are in a big diarying area and or if fodder is scarce. Other than that farmers will be slow to anything north of 20 e.

I have made hay in last number of years and I am in a horsey area. Far better proposition however it's a big gamble with weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

kk.man wrote: »
    I made silage bales a few years back with a view to selling them. Disaster! It only works if you are in a big diarying area and or if fodder is scarce. Other than that farmers will be slow to anything north of 20 e.

I have made hay in last number of years and I am in a horsey area. Far better proposition however it's a big gamble with weather.

This - it is what makes hay such a gamble. The best hay to feed to horses is the first cut. But if it goes over or if it rains then all bets are off imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

gozunda wrote: »
    This - it is what makes hay such a gamble. The best hay to feed to horses is the first cut. But if it goes over or if it rains then all bets are off imo

Haylage would be highly sought too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Haylage would be highly sought too

aiming to cut on july 1st... and hope for a bit of luck...

Advertisement