Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you read any v.long threads in full? (5,294)

• 19-09-2016 9:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

As per title, have you followed any of the very long threads on Boards, such as 'let's all laugh at people with depression' or even some of the shorter threads of around 1000 posts ? Do you also post in them and follow up on any replies in respect of your own posts?

I personally couldn't be arsed even reading the first post where I see hundreds or even thousands of posts/replies. I just think it's too much work and I find where I have replied at the start of threads which develop into very long threads after a few days, I just couldn't be bothered looking at them again as it'd take too long to read everything subsequent to me post/reply. Some threads move far too fast to keep up with and so I ignore them which is a pity as I know some of them are very good/interesting. Maybe I need to get a job where I can devote more of my time to Boards...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Haven't read the whole thread, but no, I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

What's worse is very long posts. Like yours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Some impish mod at work with the thread title/post counter. Was wondering how I'd never seen this one before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Rarely. Most of those threads seem to be long running arguments, back and forts between a few posters whose lives seem to revolve around arguing on boards all day long. Life is too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Yes OP, I have read long threads from start to end. Great cure for insomnia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Agricola wrote: »
    Rarely. Most of those threads seem to be long running arguments

No they aren't
    back and forts between a few posters whose lives seem to revolve around arguing on boards all day long.

You're wrong
    Life is too short.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Bio Mech wrote: »
    What's worse is very long posts. Like yours!
    God it must be such a burden having to read something more than one line. You ok Hun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If I've been reading it from the start, it's easier to follow it, but if it's already something like 300 posts in, I won't bother.

Usually it will become a back and forth between two or three posters who won't give it up.* Usually they simply cannot let anybody else have the last word, and it's not worth reading anyway, it's just a load of attempted 'gotcha' posts. Any of the threads about NI/United Ireland are examples of this.

*I've been that poster too.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Collie D wrote: »
    Some impish mod at work with the thread title/post counter. Was wondering how I'd never seen this one before.

Emmm...I just put a number in brackets after the thread title to emphasise the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Emmm...I just put a number in brackets after the thread title to emphasise the title.

Dont be going spoiling the 'pesky mods' agenda!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

It's a bit of a pain in the hole when there's an ongoing thread and people keep joining in with questions that have been answered fifty times already.

It's like that annoying friend/family member that sits down beside you when you're watching your favourite tv programme and constantly pipes up with 'who's that?', 'why did they do that?', 'is he related to the other guy?', 'what happened there?'. If you stopped asking questions and watched the tv instead you might understand what's going on! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

As per title, have you followed any of the very long threads on Boards, such as 'let's all laugh at people with depression' or even some of the shorter threads of around 1000 posts ? Do you also post in them and follow up on any replies in respect of your own posts?

I personally couldn't be arsed even reading the first post where I see hundreds or even thousands of posts/replies. I just think it's too much work and I find where I have replied at the start of threads which develop into very long threads after a few days, I just couldn't be bothered looking at them again as it'd take too long to read everything subsequent to me post/reply. Some threads move far too fast to keep up with and so I ignore them which is a pity as I know some of them are very good/interesting. Maybe I need to get a job where I can devote more of my time to Boards...

I'm not sure that means what you think it means.

Let me get this straight: you are saying that all users should sitebanned for long posts and that threads of more than 22 replies should be locked? That's a strange viewpoint and mostly incoherent. Furthermore, or should I say, moreover, I am of the belief that if one considers the application of their views rather than the mere projection of them, then it is clear, is it not, that hyperbole exists and in fact, persists, where it should not.

tl;dr

Confirmation bias!!!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2917255/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The "I Found a Safe" thread was a great read to follow live. It went on for ages and felt like something to be a part of. It had heroes, villains and a haircut boy. One of my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

*click follow thread*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Electric Picnic thread in Gigs and Events, yup.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The only full thread worth reading on Boards is 'My First Go - Title "The Madman?"' in the Creative Writing forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's no need to read the whole thing. Just jump to the last page and contradict the last post, it'll all kick off again and they'll bring you up to date using the most colourful language and even some helpful links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Omackeral wrote: »
    The "I Found a Safe" thread was a great read to follow live. It went on for ages and felt like something to be a part of. It had heroes, villains and a haircut boy. One of my favourites.

That was a brilliant thread alright. I found it late on but read it all from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I've read all the 'photos that shook the world' thread and all the 'has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?' thread.
    Both excellent threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

God it must be such a burden having to read something more than one line. You ok Hun?

Sorry I only got the first line there. Did you ask me something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

'has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?' thread?

Best thread Ever! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I've probably read (viewed?) all of the last 3 YLYL threads. But I can't claim to have read the earlier ones. And it's too late now, 'cause most of the image links are dead.

RIP Funny Pics. Gone too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm not sure that means what you think it means.

Let me get this straight: you are saying that all users should sitebanned for long posts and that threads of more than 22 replies should be locked? That's a strange viewpoint and mostly incoherent. Furthermore, or should I say, moreover, I am of the belief that if one considers the application of their views rather than the mere projection of them, then it is clear, is it not, that hyperbole exists and in fact, persists, where it should not.

tl;dr

Confirmation bias!!!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2917255/

I have no idea what you are talking about and I suspect you don't either so I'm just going to say this...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The Stinge thread, funny houses/flats to rent, and Creepy & Unnerving are threads that I've read literally every post on.

Tried using the Creepy thread one night to relax me when I was having trouble sleeping.... worst mistake ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

I only read posts that have more than 10 thanks.

I like to let my minions do the work and alert me of high quality postings.

Thanks guys. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I've only read the lets all count to a million threads. Unputdownable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

For threads I'm not active in or only have a passing interest in, I just scan through posts that have the most likes, I just read those ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No as I will be dead long enough.

I will not be on my deathbed thinking 'damn I never read that very long thread on boards fully'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I have no idea what you are talking about and I suspect you don't either so I'm just going to say this...

Look, it's perfectly Sybil. Simple's not well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think the only very long threads I've read in full are "Anything Creepy or Unnerving" and "Favourite Unsolved Mystery". They're worth it.

I will read long threads if I've been following from the beginning. I generally won't bother if it's already long when I see it first. Most long threads are taken up by soapboxers and petty arguments but threads like the two above are different, though a few idiots have tried to ruin even them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

If a thread has more than 100 posts when I first see it I generally won't bother with it. Sometimes if it's something I'm very interested in I will give it a go but I hate when it becomes a row between 2 posters and goes on for pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I've read through the Creepy/Unnerving things happening to you thread, the Unsolved Mysteries thread and the Dumb/Great Facebook Status' thread.

The Crutches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

the tread recently here about the fella trying to get his ex girlfriend out of his shared flat.
    cant seem to find it now seems to have disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Sometimes if there interesting enough, but usually they just get bogged down with you said and I said and what about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I saw a car go through a red light too, so it is not just cyclists!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement