Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-03-2020, 00:33   #1
DEFTLEFTHAND

The Man responsible for the Titanic's sinking.

William Murdoch the First officer of Titanic on the fateful night. It was hinted at but never fully layed on Murdoch in the inquires after the tragedy in 1912, considering that he died in the sinking.

He was given orders at 10pm from the Captain to keep course and speed and to follow safety procedures with ice. At 11.40pm an iceberg was reported dead ahead, half a mile out and Murdoch made a fatal error. He ordered a full stop, engines in astern and the port around manoeuvre from the ships wheel.

By putting the engines in reverse he compromisied the action of the ships rudder, slowing the turning process. If turned at full speed at that distance the ship would have had more manoeuvreability and should have veered off in time. His other option was to put the engines to full stop and let her hit by the bow, damaging the vessel but not fatally.
Advertisement
25-03-2020, 00:38   #2
fin12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
William Murdoch the First officer of Titanic on the fateful night. It was hinted at but never fully layed on Murdoch in the inquires after the tragedy in 1912, considering that he died in the sinking.

He was given orders at 10pm from the Captain to keep course and speed and to follow safety procedures with ice. At 11.40pm an iceberg was reported dead ahead, half a mile out and Murdoch made a fatal error. He ordered a full stop, engines in astern and the port around manoeuvre from the ships wheel.

By putting the engines in reverse he compromisied the action of the ships rudder, slowing the turning process. If turned at full speed at that distance the ship would have had more manoeuvreability and should have veered off in time. His other option was to put the engines to full stop and let her hit by the bow, damaging the vessel but not fatally.
There was a fire burning in a coal bunker for weeks, it even set sail while still on fire, this cause the bulkheads to be weakened. I believe this is the main reason the titanic sank.
25-03-2020, 00:47   #4
DEFTLEFTHAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by fin12 View Post
There was a fire burning in a coal bunker for weeks, it even set sail while still on fire, this cause the bulkheads to be weakened. I believe this is the main reason the titanic sank.
Coal fires were common for steamers of the day. It wouldn't have compromisied the ship to such an extent.
Thanks from:
25-03-2020, 00:50   #5
Itssoeasy

Quote:
That fire is known to have been out by the day of the sinking. It may have weakened the bulkheads around it but it may have only hasened the sinking if it did fail. The ship was doomed when the iceberg separated the hull plates beyond the four compartments that it could stay aloft were breached. The bulkheads not sealed at the top and the fact they didn't go to the top deck of the ship. I think they only went to C deck but I'd have to check.
Advertisement
25-03-2020, 00:51   #6
endacl

Quote:
Nah. The main reason it sank is that it filled up with water.
(96) thanks from:
Arlessienne, Ash.J.Williams, Blaaz_, blackvalley, Blazer, BonsaiKitten, bubblypop, Buford T. Justice VI, Chinese whospers, con___manx1, Darth Melkor, DBB, deise08, Deja Boo, DelaneyIn, Delirium, didntgotoplan, DJIMI TRARORE, Dr Turk Turkelton, False Prophet, Filmer Paradise, flas, Fonelovin'dude, FoxyVixen, Gloomtastic!, Hector Savage, HildaOgdenx, howamidifferent, Huntergonzo, IAMAMORON, Igotadose, Infernal Racket, Insect Overlord, irish_goat, Iscreamkone, IvoryTower, iwillhtfu, JCX BXC, jmreire, joeysoap, JPCN1, Juanito13, JustAThought, lawred2, Leg End Reject, Mam of 4, manonboard, mark_jmc, Meleftone, mfceiling, mieletech, Mike Litoris, mikemac2, mooman, Mr Magnolia, Muahahaha, Odelay, ohnonotgmail, Orion, pg633, PieOhMy, pillphil, PMC999, q2ice, Quantum Erasure, Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare, rainbowtrout, Rx713B, Ryath, Samson1, SeaFields, selectamatic, Signore Fancy Pants, Skylinehead, Smart Bug, SomethingElse, Still waters, storker, SuperSean11, take everything, The Bishop Basher, The_Kew_Tour, Tipsy McSwagger, Toots, twowheelsonly, Up Donegal, valoren, veryangryman, VeVeX, VG31, Vowel Movement, Wibbs, Widdensushi, William Legrande, WoollyRedHat, xzanti
25-03-2020, 00:53   #7
An Ri rua

Lots of different blamegames out there. Some say it was an ancestor of Rosanna Davison's. Ike Burgh.

PS it's not like The shipping company weren't forewarned about Murdoch. They got a short telegram from an irate American prior to embarking from Liverpool, simply saying "I ain't sailing with no crazy fool. STOP"

Last edited by An Ri rua; 25-03-2020 at 00:59.
25-03-2020, 00:55   #8
Comer1

It was Rose"s and Jack's fault for having sex before marriage in a Reanult.
Advertisement
25-03-2020, 00:57   #10
Itssoeasy

Quote:

I have to say I think that's unduly harsh on someone who mad a split decision 106 years ago. Also, any disaster never hinges on one persons actions. I mean if you go through the titanic maiden voyage the phrase "if but for.." if applied to an action then the ship may not have hit the iceberg.
25-03-2020, 00:58   #11
Itssoeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by endacl View Post
Nah. The main reason it sank is that it filled up with water.
Brilliant.
Thanks from:
25-03-2020, 01:01   #12
DEFTLEFTHAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itssoeasy View Post
That fire is known to have been out by the day of the sinking. It may have weakened the bulkheads around it but it may have only hasened the sinking if it did fail. The ship was doomed when the iceberg separated the hull plates beyond the four compartments that it could stay aloft were breached. The bulkheads not sealed at the top and the fact they didn't go to the top deck of the ship. I think they only went to C deck but I'd have to check.
If anything it prolonged the ships life, in the process of putting out the fire they moved huge amounts of coal to the port side. This created an extra ballast, the ship went down from the bow and never took on a severve list to starboard or port.

Intially the Carpenter Andrews thought she'd capsize and go down in an hour. He was unaware of the movement of coal that afternoon.
(3) thanks from:
25-03-2020, 01:12   #13
Itssoeasy

Quote:
If anything it prolonged the ships life, in the process of putting out the fire they moved huge amounts of coal to the port side. This created an extra ballast, the ship went down from the bow and never took on a severve list to starboard or port.

Intially the Carpenter Andrews thought she'd capsize and go down in an hour. He was unaware of the movement of coal that afternoon.
There are witness reports of the ship listing during the sinking. Andrews wasn't the carpenter he was the designer of the ship and I've never heard of him believing the ship would capsize.
25-03-2020, 01:22   #14
Itssoeasy

Also, there are so many conflicting reports of what happened that night that unless there is proof of Thomas Andrews saying the ship would capsize. In the 1958 film a night to remember had an officer from the titanic on the night of the sinking as a consultant so if that had been a worry surely he would have heard it. It's not in that film which is seen as a very accurate retelling of the sinking and its never suggested the boat would capsize.
Thanks from:
25-03-2020, 01:25   #15
DEFTLEFTHAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itssoeasy View Post
There are witness reports of the ship listing during the sinking. Andrews wasn't the carpenter he was the designer of the ship and I've never heard of him believing the ship would capsize.
Carpenter was his position on that voyage, a team of Haarland & Wolf execs travelled on every maiden voyage of their ships to check their running order.

Andrews sounded the ship after the collision and informed Captain Smith at 00.10hrs that she was making water in 6 compartments and could sink in an hour.

She never took on a heavy list to either side during the sinking. Even righting herself for a period an hour and half into the sinking.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion