Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No photographer - asked to take photos

Options
2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

woodchuck wrote: »
    So I'm worried that:
    1. My photos won't turn out great (e.g. could be poor weather/lighting conditions that I wouldn't know how to work around). I know I'm just being silly though - if the photos were that important to them, surely they would've hired a professional.
    2. That I'll be left out of most of the "family" photos. I just don't want to feel like I'm on the sidelines and only there to take photos :( It's a family event and I'd like to feel part of it. Before anyone suggests it, I don't own a tripod in order to take photos on a timer with everyone in them.

Please tell me I'm being silly and worrying over nothing :) Has anyone else ever been in a similar position?

One the one hand I wouldn't worry about your pics not turning out great. Put your camera on AUTO, point and shoot. You'll be grand!
    On the other, I would worry that the couple think the photos are not important to them. They WILL regret not have good photos from what will be the biggest day of their lives. They may not appreciate the photos now, but those photos are all they will have left from their wedding day. It's in years to come that those photos will be appreciated, not necessarily by them, but by their children and grandchildren.

BTW - Shoot RAW...........

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Like you've said they probably don't see the photos as being important, more a nice to have. They probably know you have a decent camera and like taking photos.
    I would be the same as you and worry about getting good/nice pics of their special day. I'm sure you'll get some lovely pics.
    Not a professional at all but I would suggest to save time and stress make a quick list of photos you/they want and whose in them, this way no one will be forgotten/accidentally left out. It probably won't be a long list if its a small wedding.
    Spend an hour or 2, looking up websites like 'One Fab day' to get some ideas, nothing fancy as such just ideas on how to get them to pose/stand. I have a good camera and often find my biggest issue when i look back at photos is that I didn't spending an extra 30secs getting people to pose properly, as in close enough to each other etc.. Set the camera on Auto and just keep clicking!

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

I'm in a similar situation; the bride of an upcoming wedding has *assumed* I'll do the photos, because I have a decent camera, and like taking some photos. (caveat: I have taken pictures at other family events of the bride in the past)

For me though, this is also a family holiday (the wedding is another country) and I have small kids, so my answer was a polite but firm no. For me it's more about being able to relax on the day, and have some fun with my family - not having to worry that everyone is in place, or ready for their close up.

I'll be telling my bride ( :) ) to organise a professional, particularly because it's highly unlikely there would be the opportunity for a second shoot when the wedding is abroad - memories are great, but good pictures can always be hung/shared

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Got some more info from the mammy... so not only area we expected to take photos, but we're also now in charge of arranging transport :/

It's all happening in Dublin City Centre, so the plan is to use taxis, but it's not so central that we can rely on just flagging them down easily. We might need up to 6 taxis max. I've actually never used the mytaxi/freenow apps though. Does anyone know if you can order multiple taxis at once using the app? (I've never used the app before) Or would we be better off ringing up 8202020 or something instead? I don't want to order in advance though, because the length of time we spend taking pictures might vary a lot depending on the weather.

Oh and ideally they want us to be one of the first to arrive at the restaurant to greet the people who aren't at the ceremony. I don't see how that can work though if they want me to use my phone to get the taxis, as surely I'd have to be the last one in a taxi incase there are any issues (e.g. ringing me to let me know where they've pulled up or trying find the people to be collected - not much use if I'm not there).

I'm sick of this third hand information though. Getting the OH to ring the brother see wtf is actually expected from us :P And to set expectations, particularly regarding the photos - there was talk of taking pictures in the restaurant with the window/view behind them. That ain't gonna work!!

Oh and ideally they want us to be one of the first to arrive at the restaurant to greet the people who aren't at the ceremony.

At least you'll be familiar with everyone - it'll be handy for when you're asked to serve the food :pac: ;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yes you need to get it first hand from the couple - exactly what they want you to do - you may find that they have their own plans and MIL is being a bit of a meddler and nominating you for stuff that they don't need you to help with. My mother would totally do that.

You might be better off if you've the numbers to hire a small bus. They generally give you a flat rate, and agreed pick up and drop off times so won't ditch you for another fare, and you might have a very merry atmosphere on a bus compared to separate taxis.

A wedding I went to had a bus from the hotel-church-hotel and it was a brilliant idea and had a really happy vibe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Haha yeah, I think the "meet and greet" might be the mothers idea alright!!

I agree that a bus is a good idea. But as we don't have a set time for a pick up (e.g. if it's raining heavily we might have to ditch the photos altogether), it could lead to more hassle than it's worth. I might get the OH to mention it to his brother though and see what they think. However as it seems they're doing things on a shoestring, so I highly doubt they've budgeted for a bus and I'll be damned if we're gonna pay (we already have a present sorted).

I'm getting a bit annoyed at this stage though tbh. We've been told all along that it's going to a very low key, no fuss kind of day. And now we get landed with all these jobs so close to the day. I'm starting to feel like the only way to have a no fuss day is to transfer the fuss to your guests...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm getting a bit annoyed at this stage though tbh. We've been told all along that it's going to a very low key, no fuss kind of day. And now we get landed with all these jobs so close to the day. I'm starting to feel like the only way to have a no fuss day is to transfer the fuss to your guests...

Pretty much. It's really not that stressful when people are running around doing everything for you for free. ;)

I'd be well annoyed if I was you. Getting 6 taxis from one app will be very difficult, and then the question becomes who pays for it? Honestly I'd say a bus could easily work out cheaper than 6 separate taxis, depending.

The only thing to do is go right to the couple themselves and say 'we've been hearing loads of rumours about jobs and stuff on the day. What exactly do you want or need people to help with?' and that way you can divvy things up. Personally I think it's exceptionally cheeky the way they seem to h ave gone about everything. I'm a planner, and honestly I'm getting anxiety just reading the updates to this thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Absolutely yes, you need to hear this direct from the bride and groom and not third hand or through the grapevine as you said in earlier posts, OP.

I don't know of any bride or groom collectively that would happily assume certain core tasks of the wedding are in hand just because they passed the requests on to mothers/mothers-in-laws to deliver to the respective task owners or worse, assume that others would take/volunteer such tasks without being directly asked. (ok plenty of grooms might be blase but their brides wouldn't). I'm surprised the bride or groom (or both together) didn't contact you specifically about these key tasks and left it in the hands of others to inform you casually (photography, transport and meet and greet - ok the latter meet and greet is just a nice to have and not essential - reeks of Mammys's notion of her idea of protocol).

I would say when asked to perform photography duties that you will be happy (if you are not stressed about doing so) to do so with one major caveat - you are not the best at taking photos but would be happy to give it your best shot (pun intended) but just to bear that in mind as this will be a one off opportunity to capture the moment, advise them to bear that in mind. I'd not be too peeved about not being in family or group shots if you are only the girlfriend of a brother of a groom. Who really sees or pays attention to these group shots that will be hidden forever in a wedding album or hidden away among 100s of photos in a Dropbox/Google Photos drive?

As regards the transport, unless all the guests live all over the place in opposite directions that don't make a small coach/mini-bus practical for pick ups, then use 8202020 and reserve X no of taxis in advance. If the guests all live nearby, it would be a handy way for bonding/pre wedding craic as the two sides of the families meet/break the ice etc before and after service, reception etc.

Meet and Greet - your call - it would be nice and give you an opportunity to meet members of the bride's family/guests and give guests a sense of orientation. Maybe put up posters with balloons if it's located in a big venue (perhaps management of venue can help with that?

I'm a pro photographer.

I remember when I got my first request to do a wedding. It was because the bride-and-groom to be had seen a lovely photo I'd taken.. a landscape photo of a bridge. :rolleyes:

Most people haven't a clue. When I first started out I was looking to charge megabucks and I was prepping for weeks before and practically living the wedding over and over. Nowadays I come in at a fairly low fee, and just tend to coast through it, making it up as I go along and hope for the best. I don't think anyone's even noticed my approach has changed.

I've often spent days in my head working out an amazing shot, figuring out how to get the lighting, etc. set up quickly and pose it right. Then when you present the photos the bride and groom skip right past it to the group photo to see if John that lives down the road was there or not. And jaysus, look at aunt Breda's dress. Tom looks well, though... etc. etc.

Most people simply don't care that much. If you can get a half decent photo of the bride and groom, with a shallow depth of field, that'll be your go-to photo, then you can just point-and-shoot the rest of the day. No one will be any the wiser.

(I appreciate I'm making it sound like I simply don't care about weddings, which is only partly true - it's worth keeping in mind I have a lot of experience so my half-assing is probably still quite well laid out vs someone new to it or who has never done it before).

That said, I have never done a wedding for a close friend. I've been asked by most, but I always so no, as I'd rather be a guest at a personal friend's wedding, especially family. I'd much prefer to enjoy the day and be part of it, rather than go in with a job to do and be a spectator with responsibilities. I think it's unfair to ask people you're close to, to work on your wedding day, rather than enjoy your wedding day.

(I fully expect to be hung, drawn and quartered for my comments, but such is life :D )

• Advertisement
Advertisement