Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentia Island Triathlon

Options
  • 12-06-2017 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

Anyone else doing the sprint triathlon in Valentia Island on Saturday? Or anyone who has done it before can give some tips about the route? There isn't much course details avilable on the website.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

The swim is from Renard point on de Mainland to the island (same route ferry takes).
    Bike is a lap of the island starting from Knightstown, its a slow drag up the hill towards the quarry, then turn along the high road (can be windy here and surface has been crap in the past), some sharp turns, back down to the Shore road which is good and flat back to Knightstown. There is usually debate before hand regarding Roadie vs TT but there will be plenty of TT's on the day. You may pack a rim wheel in case its too windy for disc's.
    The run is a tough long uphill drag along the same hill you did the bike, turn after 2.5k and fast as you like back down to the finish.

Its a great spot for a Tri, looking forward to it myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Great thanks for that its super helpful. So the run is just up the hill and back down again? It's not so hard if you know that there will be a 2.5km downhill to the finish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Hey Panda.

Doing the Valentia Tri aswell, its gonna be my first Tri, I cant wait the weather is looking perfect for it.

NewCorkLad wrote:
    Doing the Valentia Tri aswell, its gonna be my first Tri, I cant wait the weather is looking perfect for it.

Just landed in Valentia and the weathers beautiful here. Best of luck tomorrow NewCorkLad, should be a great first tri

Small numbers entered apparently, which is a shame as conditions are ideal for a great race. Hopefully the new organisers can build on good feedback and grow next year.

Really looking forward to tomorrow, Valentina is a magical place when the sun is shining. The water is grand (just in from a swim).

Okane if you are still considering, TT bike is the best option, I drove the route and surface is better than I've ever seen.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! I'm a tall bald guy in Tinahely tri outfit, hope to meet some new boardsies at the race :)

• Advertisement

Kurt.Godel wrote:
    Small numbers entered apparently, which is a shame as conditions are ideal for a great race. Hopefully the new organisers can build on good feedback and grow next year.

I reckon there's only about a 100 doing it. V small transition area. Personally I much prefer smaller races! I'm the tall, blonde girl who will be tagging along at the end of the race :p

The best place in Ireland for a triathlon, when the sun is shining like today. The swim was amazing, beautiful clear water with just enough chop and pull to make it interesting. Fantastic clear views around the bike course, on a decent surface with plenty of marshals. The run is tough going up, and tough going down as you have to push on. Great atmosphere all round (didn't get to meet anyone from here though!), I'd say the organiser would have sold a thousand entries if people knew the weather would be like this.

Kurt.Godel wrote:
    Good luck to everyone tomorrow! I'm a tall bald guy in Tinahely tri outfit, hope to meet some new boardsies at the race

I actually saw you on the run. I was heading up and you heading down. You looked like you were on for a great time! I didn't have the energy to shout hello at you!

Wow what an amazing race! Beautiful scenery, such friendly organisers and great course. Will definitely be back next year! My favourite part was getting the ferry over in our wetsuits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Kurt.Godel wrote: »

Okane if you are still considering, TT bike is the best option, I drove the route and surface is better than I've ever seen.

Defo a TT bike for today.
    Unreal day and scenery today. Happy with my race, I'll stick up a race report shortly, ended up 3rd step on the podium :)

Well done okane. Always great to have a boardsie on the podium! I finished in the top ten of the females so thrilled with that for my second triathlon. My swim was a bit slower than usual. I found it a bit choppy out there and felt it would never end. My garmin is pretty accurate though and had it at 750 so the longer length was all in my head.

I am in awe of the race of the by Cillian Tierney. I had a few people with me as spectators and they said he finished the swim a good 5 minutes ahead of everyone else. Think he did it in 8minutes?? Some race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Well first Triathlon done and loved it. Although I think with the weather and location it would be hard not to love it.

Did a lot better than I had expected, having done a few guestimations, I expected to finish somewhere over the 1.30 mark but came in under 1.22 so delighted with that.

So will drive on now have one more Sprint and a Standard Triathlon booked for the summer as well as a few training Triathlons planned with the club.

Advertisement