Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challenge 205: Still life.... with tomatoes

Options
  • 19-05-2017 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

The theme for this challenge is still life. It can be a photo of anything you like but it must include at least 1 tomato. Flash, continuous light or daylight are all ok.

8048646074_f3dd6fc09c_z.jpg

RULES:

Photos must be taken with this challenge in mind -therefore photos must be taken after 9 pm 19/05/2017
    - Closing Date is 2 weeks from now- Thursday 1st of June at 9.00 pm.
    - Photos must be taken by the person submitting them.
    - Only one photo per post- but feel free to submit as many posts as you like.
    - The next task/subject is to be chosen by the person who has the most thanks after their post at the closing date/time.

Have fun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

(photo taken in kitchen using 3 tomatoes from the pic above)- text added later. Lidl ketchup

34040896373_19ff82c71e_c.jpgketchup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

34483201900_d96f878338_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

DSC04272_zpsws01joce.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Loki98

And the winner is keps. Congratulations and thanks all those who took part.
    Over to you keps

• Advertisement

Thanks Lokie for setting that interesting Challenge.. and thanks indeed also to all who took the time to vote.

As far as I can establish, the 'Photo Challenge' started here in 2005.

I joined boards in 2009 and would say I have entered over 90% of Challenges since then and just thought they were a brilliant way of improving your photo skills.

But, unfortunately, interest in the Challenge has waned - and we now have a situation where a reducing number of people enter- and win.

And, so I think it's time to pull down the shutters on 'The Photo Challenge'.

Another loss to the site along with the Annual Photobook.

I felt really isolated by the Mods at the time of my opposition to the ' NO COMMENTS' heading in the main random photo thread. But to this day , I would still argue that that the heading, and the concept that you can't make any comment (on the thread) in a what is a very friendly environment sends out a totally wrong message.

The Random Photo-thread wasn't ' broke' at the time and yet the Mods decided to fix it.

I would say that the 'NO COMMENTS' decision and the overall 'unwelcoming' image it embodies has turned a lot of people off.

End of rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I agree its been in decline for a while now . There was a thread a while back for Animals and it was photos of birds and insects that got the most likes .

For some it can be difficult enough to upload a photo to Boards.ie , maybe this don't help .

I never expected anyone to like my photos as I'm not a photographer , but I still enjoyed uploading pics .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I'll be sad to see it go lads. I always logged in for a look and thanked, etc. and kept meaning to get out with the camera and enter - but like many others life got in the way of my good intentions and I actually only entered one challenge.

I find the "Random Photos" thread a little intimidating and for some reason I always felts the Photo Challenge threads were more friendly and accepting of complete amateurs (read chancers!) like myself.

Big thanks to all who kept it going but I understand why it may be necessary to call time. Maybe there is a new approach that can be taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I'm only starting out and always enjoyed the challenges. I have only entered a couple - but it has always been a great set of threads for me because it helps/(ed) me see how people view different subjects differently. I think it would be a shame to see it go and would hope its not stopped.
    I think it should be kept going - as Metric Tensor said, it gives me a subject to focus on and yes life gets in the way but maybe increase the time from 2 to 3 week time frame on entries - whoever sets the challenge maybe bump/remind others theres another week to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

I agree! I always follow this thread and post as much as I can, though I can get a little lazy at times. some of the challenges are really interesting and make me get up off my ass. Most of the time I just love looking at what people post. I don't think it really matters who wins.

It would be a shame to see this thread closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Much as those who've already posted above, and I've said it previously: I enjoy the concept of the challenge, but have real trouble fitting in with the timeframe, mainly for work reasons (need to get online to find out what the challenge is, then need to get out with a camera, then download/review the images, and finally get online with a decent enough connection to upload an entry ...

But even if I know I'm going to miss the deadline, I've been using the various challenges as inspiration for the pictures I do take, and sometimes think enough of them to put one up in the Random Photos thread. :) I can't devote as much time as I'd like to my photography, so I appreciate the "guidance" that the challenge gives for those days when things do come together.

Ok - I hear what you are saying:)

Maybe we should give it one more whirl- what I am afraid of is that I will be the one who sets a challenge -and then no one enters:eek:

So I will set a new challenge- please support!

Advertisement