Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing ESB to tenants name

Options
  • 02-03-2011 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

My Tenant wants to change the esb bill which is in arrears into his name as he says the welfare officer will help them with the arrears if its in his name.

Is there any downside to this for me as Landlord apart from being kept out of the loop as regards the indebtedness?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Why's the bill in your name? Only LL's I have ever known who have done this as the one's not declaring rent for tax purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Why's the bill in your name? Only LL's I have ever known who have done this as the one's not declaring rent for tax purposes?

Everything is being declared, never saw a reason to change it, tenants read the meter at the start and at the end and every one paid the bills. Bill is sent to the house and the tenant paid it, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

ESB should always be in the tenants name. If they don't pay, the debt follows them not the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Shelflife wrote: »
    My Tenant wants to change the esb bill which is in arrears into his name as he says the welfare officer will help them with the arrears if its in his name.

Is there any downside to this for me as Landlord apart from being kept out of the loop as regards the indebtedness?

Cheers

It shouldn't be in your name in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

I think its to your advantage OP. As it stands, the debt is yours as the bill in your name. As far as I know, the tenant will set up a new account in their name and transfer the debt as they wish. After that you needn't worry about it. When the tenant leaves, inform the ESB that they have left and detach the account from your house as the tenant will no longer be resident there.

It's actually a good idea to get tenants to put the ESB in their name as it encourages longer term tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Will the ESB allow the debt to be transferred into a new name? I would say they'll allow the new person to pay the arrears, but they may not allow the debt to be transferred, as the new named person could bugger off and seen the debts been transferred, the original person couldn't be perused.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just make sure the debt transfers also.

Advertisement