Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Challenge 206 -The Beatles 'Titles or Lyrics'

• 02-06-2017 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭

This Challenge asks you to take photo which represents/encapsulates any title or any set or section of lyrics from any Beatles song.

From' Long and Winding Road' to 'Sleeping like a log'
    From ' When I get Older' to ' I get high with a little help from my friends'.

Or whatever!

RULES:

Photos must be taken with this challenge in mind -therefore photos must be taken after 8 AM 3/6/2017
    - Closing Date is in 2 weeks time- Saturday 17th of June at 8.00 pm.
    - Photos must be taken by the person submitting them.
    - Only one photo per post- but feel free to submit as many posts as you like.
    - The next task/subject is to be chosen by the person who has the most thanks after their post at the closing date/time.

Have fun.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

I'll start the ball rolling!

Here Comes the Sun

34224648134_375a798c27_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Yesterday

DSC01746%20-%20Copy_zpsldd4aagi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

@ allthedoyles

Very Clever- Love it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Loki98

34983244141_ac92b72691_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Loki98

35141879395_034d24053a_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

"Day Tripper"

Sorry can't embed, posting from my phone in Mallorca!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Feisty

"Leave my Kitten Alone"

35241998365_7cc0968f97_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

34482565883_d371a72e13_c.jpg

Please, don't wake me, no, don't shake me by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

"Please, don't wake me, no, don't shake me
    Leave me where I am, I'm only sleeping"

"The Inner Light"

GwEbtz1.jpg

The winner is Lokie with his really fine photo on the theme of the Beatle's song 'Long and Winding Road'.

Unfortunately, due to lack of interest and entries over recent months, a decision has been arrived at to suspend the 'Challenge' concept.

Personally( I've no official connection with boards) I'd like to thank all those who participated/thanked over the years- hopefully we might see a 'Challenge' reincarnation at some stage in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Congrats, Lokie.

And I'm really sorry to read that the challenge is not set to continue. I know the small number of entries had been mentioned before, but I didn't see a discussion about the continuation (or not) thereof. Did I miss it? And was it a general consensus or one taken by the mods/boards (and I've just missed that, too). I'm really disappointed that it won't be continuing. I discovered it when I wasn't well and it introduced me to photography rather than just taking photos of occasions. I know I've not been able to post as much as I'd like, but I'm sad to see it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Thanks to all the people who posted in the Challenges. Although I only participated once I've been reading / thanking challenges since somewhere back around 160.

Thanks for sharing your talents!

My first and last entry :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

convert wrote: »
    Congrats, Lokie.

And I'm really sorry to read that the challenge is not set to continue. I know the small number of entries had been mentioned before, but I didn't see a discussion about the continuation (or not) thereof. Did I miss it? And was it a general consensus or one taken by the mods/boards (and I've just missed that, too). I'm really disappointed that it won't be continuing. I discovered it when I wasn't well and it introduced me to photography rather than just taking photos of occasions. I know I've not been able to post as much as I'd like, but I'm sad to see it go.

It's an awful shame to see this go. I know I've been lazy most of the time, but I always enjoy following the threads and get to see some great submissions. How about one more to see what the uptake is like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

chewed wrote: »
    It's an awful shame to see this go. I know I've been lazy most of the time, but I always enjoy following the threads and get to see some great submissions. How about one more to see what the uptake is like?

The thread is meant to be fun . If your photo don't get enough likes , it should'nt be taken as a personal grudge .

Boards has 000's of users / If the thread was in ''after hours '' lots more would be willing to offer 'likes '

Its not a competition .

Sad to see this being suspended, while I've only posted a few pics, I always used to follow the challenges and "vote" for my favourite ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

chewed wrote: »
    How about one more to see what the uptake is like?

This challenge was already "one more to see ..."

The problem is not with the number of likes any particular image might get, but with the number of entries. There's not much point in having a specific challenge if it only gets three or four entries.

In my case, it doesn't matter how many "one more to see ..." times we go through this, I'm not going to be able to enter any more often than I have done because I just can't meet the conditions of the challenge most weeks.

That doesn't mean I don't try, but if I can't get a picture shot and uploaded within the time limit, how many other people are in the same situation? The low number of entries suggests quite a few ...

May I ask who's decision was it to suspend the challenge?

Or can we keep it going ourselves if we want as an "unofficial" challenge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

+1 don't want this to die? As mentioned above presume someone can create an unofficial thread as a competition?

Yes indeed- anyone is free to start a challenge thread

• Advertisement

Or just to continue on with the existing one by selecting the next number

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

AFAIK there has not been any such decision by the Mods.

I will look into this further when not on a mobile.

It is interesting to see a 'mod' getting involved in the 'Challenge' topic.

While at it Cabansail- maybe check the last time a 'mod' ever 'thanked' a photo on the thread- never mind giving even tacit support.

There were a few who tried to keep this going over the last 12 months.. mods were nowhere to be seen

PS - when I say a 'mod' I mean one from the array of 'photography mods'.

(It seems 'mods' from other areas are more interested.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

keps wrote: »
    Or just to continue on with the existing one by selecting the next number
    Yes indeed- anyone is free to start a challenge thread
    The winner is Lokie with his really fine photo on the theme of the Beatle's song 'Long and Winding Road'.

Unfortunately, due to lack of interest and entries over recent months, a decision has been arrived at to suspend the 'Challenge' concept.

Personally( I've no official connection with boards) I'd like to thank all those who participated/thanked over the years- hopefully we might see a 'Challenge' reincarnation at some stage in the future.

I'm a bit confused here: is this the end of the photo challenge?

Keps says it is the end, then says it can be continued.
    The mods don't seem to have made any call. Has Boards.ie decided that this is the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

ezra_ wrote: »
    The mods don't seem to have made any call. Has Boards.ie decided that this is the end?

No, to be honest it was more of a general consensus, in the last challenge there was talk about it not being popular anymore and that this challenge would be a test run to see if it's worth keeping alive...

To be honest, if people aren't posting as much, then rather than dictate that the competition is now closed by order of a couple of posters here, then perhaps just drop out, and come back in a while when the mood takes you.

End of the day, this is a discussion forum and it will ebb and flow.

Why is this a sub forum, however? The main photography forum has higher traffic and a wider user base. If the competition was a stickied there, you might find the infusion of new and random blood to it, as opposed to having it in a sub forum that is a lot quieter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yes, if those who were involved don't want to take part they can easily come back to it after a while. The way its run doesn't mean there is much for organising or reviewing (as opposed to the POTW which has to be checked back on) as its just to clarify the thanks on each post entered.
    It is then at the feet of the previous winner to set the subject and on it goes again.

I suggested increasing the time frame by a week or two to give people a bigger window to enter?

To be honest, if people aren't posting as much, then rather than dictate that the competition is now closed by order of a couple of posters here, then perhaps just drop out, and come back in a while when the mood takes you.

End of the day, this is a discussion forum and it will ebb and flow.

Why is this a sub forum, however? The main photography forum has higher traffic and a wider user base. If the competition was a stickied there, you might find the infusion of new and random blood to it, as opposed to having it in a sub forum that is a lot quieter.

I wasn't part of the discussion about finishing it but I can understand why the discussion took place.

I'm up for the challenge continuing myself, but I can see both sides of the discussion.

Personally, I think Keps had a point about the photography mods not participating, in my opinion if the photography mods took over the challenges that would release any pressure from regular posters from maintaining a challenge they feel is dwindling in support.

sumsar wrote: »
    I wasn't part of the discussion about finishing it but I can understand why the discussion took place.

I'm up for the challenge continuing myself, but I can see both sides of the discussion.

Personally, I think Keps had a point about the photography mods not participating, in my opinion if the photography mods took over the challenges that would release any pressure from regular posters from maintaining a challenge they feel is dwindling in support.

The mods job is to make sure that the forum rules are being followed, they follow the userbase, they don't lead it.

If the interest is dwindling, there are things that can be tried to increase it (and the mods should be involved in this) but "interest" can't be outsourced to them, that has to come from the users.

• Advertisement

The mods job is to make sure that the forum rules are being followed, they follow the userbase, they don't lead it.

If the interest is dwindling, there are things that can be tried to increase it (and the mods should be involved in this) but "interest" can't be outsourced to them, that has to come from the users.

Which is why the discussion led to having this challenge decide if there was interest enough for it to continue.

Like said above though, there is nothing stopping others from continuing it but the regular posters who actually contribute consistently (unlike me) decided it was time to call it a day.

Right now this is probably the biggest discussion gone on in this section in a long time, it's a shame there wasn't this much discussion with the regular challenges..

I guess my point is, everyone is talking now when curtains are closing, if the decision changes, does it go back to a ghost town?

Maybe we (myself included) should put more of an effort in consistently rather than every now and again to help keep it alive (and fun).

Between this thread and the previous thread that discussed the challenge it would seem that there is still enough people interested in continuing it.

Let whomever is starting the thread set the time frame 2/3/4 weeks? - if people see that there is longer available they may be encouraged to take part as some have said time is at a premium for them.

I decided to create a thread to discuss ideas for improving the photo challenge section, hopefully that's not against any rules as such and hopefully we can all discuss how to improve things around here... thread can be found at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057755607

sumsar wrote: »
    I guess my point is, everyone is talking now when curtains are closing, if the decision changes, does it go back to a ghost town?

But this is the point - the curtain's aren't closing but rather a group of posters have said this is ending.

Perhaps it was phrasing, but it read like 'we have decided that we don't want this to happen anymore' which is what seems to have riled up some people.

If any poster isn't happy anymore, they can leave. They can come back later if they want and if there is activity. However, what was said instead was 'we here have decided to end this' which is different.

What is interesting now is that people are starting to make more constructive points about how to improve things - this might help a lot and if the mods can row in and say what can be done / can't be done, it may be possible to get more people posting here.

Just for anyone who may be following this thread but not noticed it yet, the new challenge thread has started in the main Photography forum, you can see it at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057759973

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

After the 'loss' of pix.ie I don't know how to submit/embed photos. Not here nor in any other photo-thread. I still like the subject.
    Btw. Would song titles in general give people more possibilities (also those who are not that familiar with beatles-songs)?

• Advertisement

After the 'loss' of pix.ie I don't know how to submit/embed photos.  Not here nor in any other photo-thread. I still like the subject.

Btw. Would song titles in general give people more possibilities (also for those who are not that familiar with beatles-songs)?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭cortinaG

picaaf wrote: »
    After the 'loss' of pix.ie I don't know how to submit/embed photos. Not here nor in any other photo-thread. I still like the subject.
    Btw. Would song titles in general give people more possibilities (also those who are not that familiar with beatles-songs)?

http://tinypic.com/?t=postupload

I rarely upload but had reason to last night, and tinypic worked fine for me.
    Resize, upload and copy url.

Thank you so much not for the rubbish that appeared on my screen due to that link. Really helpfull to get a screen full of big boops and all that plus unwanted pop-under ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭cortinaG

I don't know whats on your computer,
    but I just uploaded THIS screenshot with the link to tinypic I posted in my post.

2r25dw5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Damokc

Sad to see this. Just checked out the Challenge thread to find it's been wrapped up. Used to enjoy it. Sometimes it was the reason to force me to go out and take a picture! (dont take camera out as often as i should).

• Advertisement

Damokc wrote: »
    Sad to see this. Just checked out the Challenge thread to find it's been wrapped up. Used to enjoy it. Sometimes it was the reason to force me to go out and take a picture! (dont take camera out as often as i should).

This thread has kept it going ...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057759973

Advertisement