Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to float/swim - legs sinking

Options
  • 20-07-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

I've done a search and looked at the sticky on learning to swim but was wondering if people had any additional advice. Here's the background (a bit of an epic, sorry), I've been terrified of water for as long as I can remember and would have panicked walking in the water in a pool at waist height. Last year on holiday I spent time in the pool at the hotel with my girlfriend (she's a good swimmer and has life saving courses under her belt so I trust her a lot). Confidence improved a lot and we recently joined a gym with a pool with the intention of me learning to swim. So I've been in every day for the past 4 days. With a nose clip and goggles I've been able to get my head under the water and trying to float face down (that's massive for me), we've been working on floating on my back but my legs just drop. I'm trying to push up with my hips/stomach but just can't seem to get there. I'm a heavy guy (all on the gut) so not much core muscle to assist. Legs are in better shape as I cycle to work most days but I don't know if working from my legs (if it's even possible) is any help. I'm going to get some 1-to-1 classes with an instructor but was hoping to get some basics going so I'd feel more confident with the instructor. I'd appreciate any advice or pointers anyone can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

I am, like yourself, a reluctant self taught swimmer. I used to hate the water but since I have major knee problems it is the only form of exercise open to me. Firstly weight is not a factor in swimming ( Lucky for me! ), its body position that is critical. The general rule is that if you lift your head, your legs will sink. I'm crap at the backstroke. I can swim backwards just kicking but once I use my arms my head spends most of the time under water. Try kicking your legs while you are on your back, this will aid keeping them up. I also cant use my legs properly ( downside of self taught ) but I do 60 lengths non stop front crawl per session. Just proves that persistance pays off! Well done, cracking the face in the water thing ( it IS a big milestone ).

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

To be honest if you are going to take 1-1 lessons I'm sure your instructor will sort that problem out.
    In general make sure you kick from your hips and try not to kick to hard as this may cause you to kick from your knees. Lengthen up your body from top of your head to your toes, and try to relax as much as you can. Manual assist at this stage will be great, if you really want to work on it on your own use some floating aids that will help you maintain horizontal body position.

Advertisement