Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming Hats

Options
  • 08-03-2010 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I have a question concerning the compulsory wearing of swimming hats at swimming facilities in Ireland.

WHY IS IT NECESSARY?

I was told at the local pool that it is to do with Hygiene but I'm quite a hairy man with a bald head and any hair getting into the pool would be from my body hair.

I simply don't see any logic in compulsory swimming hats. Does any one know how come it is compulsory in Ireland but the rest of the world doesn't bother.

Joey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Its got less to do with hygiene than maintainance and peoples preference, ever swim thorugh a random 2 foot long hair that gets caught in your mouth or eyes...pretty nasty, hats keep those buggers in until you get to the shower, the short and curly ones rarely get caught somewhere they get noticed, so no one cares. Also skimmers and filter baskets tend to get gunked up extra fast when long hair gets involved, they attract other gunk, which turns sticky, and suddenly you have to clean out all of your skimmers and filter basket every two days instead of once a fortnight. so not technically hygiene, just good practice. Besides, after using a hat for a while do you really notice it being there? or are you one of those people that never remembers to bring one, and has to buy a new one every time they go for a swim and then gets the sh1ts over it......:rolleyes:

BUt then again, we used the rule if you use shampoo or conditioner on your head, you wear a hat, If you use soap....no hat
    So if you are completely bald, then NO hat for you

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

If your head is completely bald or shaved, then AFAIK you don't need to wear a swimming cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 joeyhehir

Thanks for the answer angry hippie.

The reason I'm asking this is that i had visitors over from sweden and one of the ladies is a body builder and she simply did not want to wear a swimming hat. I understand her vanity was taking over but I did sympathize. It takes a lot of work to get a body like hers and she didn't want to top it off with a swimming hat. I was made to wear the swimming hat even though I'm bald. The discussion at the swimming pool did get heated as they simply said it is about hygiene but were unable to explain. Swedes are very logical and didn't understand a rule that doesn't have a reason behind it.

Your explanation of filter changes pointed out to my guests that it is simply because they are lazy at irish swimming pools. Got a few laughs over a few (and a few more) pints of Guinness.

All the best

Its not even about laziness, its about wasting costly man hours of skilled work at a pool doing filthy jobs, that can be made unnecessary by implementing a hat policy that no reasonable people have a problem with. The most intensive pool users are club & squad swimmers, who wear hats even in training anyway, so to extend that policy to public swimmers is not a massive leap in logic or reason. Just good management. I'm sorry if you don't see it that way, but it is what it is.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Whist I completely see the point of wearing a swimming cap if the swimmer has long hair, if they are bald it is absurd and ridiculous for them to have to wear a swimming cap.

If this was taken to the courts - a bald swimmer being made to wear a cap - the swimming pools wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

While I agree with the sentiment, I don't see how the swimmer could bring a pool to court. They're perfectly entitled to insist that everyone wears hats. It would only be discrimination or whatever if they were imposing unreasonable rules on bald people that they weren't on anyone else.

I'm pretty sure it would be an excercise in how to waste the courts time, and most judges would see it that way too. Bald people don't have to wear hats, but anybody daft enough to try and sue a pool over it would end up paying the legal costs. There is precedent there for people taking ridiculous cases and wasting time and having to foot the bill. Judge finds for the plaintiff, who doesn't have to wear a hat, but ends up forking out a couple of grand for thinking that he needs a court to decide it, instead of having a reasonable discussion with the pool manager.:eek:

I like to think of it as casey syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mandos

My wife is from Ireland and we intend to immigrate from Australia in the not too distant future… the thing that irks me, being aware of the swim cap rule from the many visits I have enjoyed in Ireland and being I'm an avid swimmer – is the fact I will need to wear a swim cap.

The very thought of this grinds me to the bone.

As an Australian, who has swam most of my life in public pools, the worst you'll ever see in the pool is not a strand of hair OH MY GOD! no, I have seen much much worse, like the floating band-aid… and other things not worth mentioning… AND this is why there is a thing called chlorine which actually kills bacteria!

Do they ban wearing band-aids into the pool in Ireland? Do they give you a body scan prior to dipping in the toe?

It is just so old fashioned and archaic to uphold this concept based on the fact filtering systems are saved from the odd strand… how does the REST OF THE WORLD cope with their blocked filters? Think of the lost man hours! We could be living on Mars now if we hadn't wasted all of that time...

Funny thing is, I don't see too many Irish upholding this 'rule' when swimming in the pools here in Australia… you'd think if they have lived with it so religiously throughout they're lives, it wouldn't be a problem to pop the cap on before decontaminating the pool water.

I think it is because people would laugh at you if you were to suggest there was an issue with the hair in the water and the filters wouldn't be able to cope with the strain.

Mark my words, this is the very first step in my campaign to rid Ireland of this profoundly ridiculous rule.

Even more ridiculous when people with not a single strand on their head are also forced to wear one… Keep the faith Joey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Spare a thought for me who will be going swimming with 27 eight year olds in the morning and at least 25 of them will turn up with the latex swim hats! 25, I repeat 25, of them will stand in front of me, totally unable to put on their own swim hats! It wrecks my head but I have it down to a fine art at this stage and can snap those bad boys on in seconds now!!!

Hi Heldel00

haha I totally feel what you are saying there and could only imagine the dramas.

I also failed to mention, here in Oz, we actually do wear swim caps, but chiefly in swimming squads and the random person who actually wants to wear one… I have always put it down to the fact they want to protect their hair from the chlorine, which I have heard has turned permed / dyed hair green…? Urban myth… go figure.

My gripe is with the casual swimmer, wearing a swim cap takes the fun out of swimming. Totally ok with them when doing serious laps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mandos wrote: »
    Funny thing is, I don't see too many Irish upholding this 'rule' when swimming in the pools here in Australia… you'd think if they have lived with it so religiously throughout they're lives, it wouldn't be a problem to pop the cap on before decontaminating the pool water.
    Not mandatory in the UK either - yet I still wear one every time here out of force of habit!

Good on you Rainbow Kirby… I'm interested if you wear a swim cap for doing laps, casual dip or both?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Laps - I usually swim 2-3 times a week as part of triathlon training. Did just over 2km this evening.

Totally agree swim caps are great for laps… anything that can assist with shaving times down.

My gripe is it is mandatory to wear the cap so to be able to enter the pool… you should be given a choice as it is every where else in the world.

The filter / sanitary / hygiene excuse doesn't hold water for me ; )

My wife is from Ireland and we intend to immigrate from Australia in the not too distant future… the thing that irks me, being aware of the swim cap rule from the many visits I have enjoyed in Ireland and being I'm an avid swimmer – is the fact I will need to wear a swim cap.

The very thought of this grinds me to the bone.

As an Australian, who has swam most of my life in public pools, the worst you'll ever see in the pool is not a strand of hair OH MY GOD! no, I have seen much much worse, like the floating band-aid… and other things not worth mentioning… AND this is why there is a thing called chlorine which actually kills bacteria!

Do they ban wearing band-aids into the pool in Ireland? Do they give you a body scan prior to dipping in the toe?

It is just so old fashioned and archaic to uphold this concept based on the fact filtering systems are saved from the odd strand… how does the REST OF THE WORLD cope with their blocked filters? Think of the lost man hours! We could be living on Mars now if we hadn't wasted all of that time...

I think it is because people would laugh at you if you were to suggest there was an issue with the hair in the water and the filters wouldn't be able to cope with the strain.

Mark my words, this is the very first step in my campaign to rid Ireland of this profoundly ridiculous rule.

Even more ridiculous when people with not a single strand on their head are also forced to wear one… Keep the faith Joey!

The vast majority of pools in Oz are outdoor. Not much point in stressing out about random hairs in the pool when you have leaves, bugs, snakes and even ducks! randomly getting into your pool. The pool systems in oz are more robust to deal with this sort of gear.
    The majority of public pools in Oz, are also deck level pools, which removes the need for pain in the butt skimmer baskets and makes them far easier to clean and maintain.
    Private pools in Oz on the other hand are generally walled, generally use a skimmer based filtration system and are for the most part a pain to keep clean, between leaves bugs, black spot mold and dust.

Ultimately the hat situation in Irish pools is a bit of a labor saver, but from a business perspective, it is also an exercise in revenue generation, by getting that secondary spend from those who are hatless, that is undeniable, for the majority of public pools, they are funded by local councils, so it's hard to grudge them the extra spend, ultimately they are running at a loss (Learn to swim is generally the only real profit generation) due to heating, plat maintenance and wage bills. The situation in Oz is very different and is a false comparison as the overall inputs to the running of a pool are proportioned totally differently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

I pee in the pool

Hi AngryHippie

It reads to me like you have a vast knowledge regarding the pools here in Australia. I'm interested to know if you have worked over here. Which local pool complex and if so when, so I can get an idea where you comment is based on.

Otherwise your comment is taking this thread totally out of context.

It's about having the choice whether to wear a cap or not because the lame excuse the Irish swimming board has, is antiquated.

Don't focus on Australia, as you have, as it doesn't make for good debate... leaves, duck and snakes?? Really?

If you want to focus on something then take the perspective of the people visiting Ireland, from around the world, Swedes, Americans, South Africans, the like who are mostly tourists spending their money assisting the Irish economy.

It shouldn't be mandatory for them to wear a swimming cap if they are purely entering the pool on a casual basis, as tourists do. It takes the joy out of going for a swim.

Braddun

They have a special dye in the water for people like you out here… all of a sudden you are surrounded by a bright pink cloud…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

shave your head - job done

Well Wossack that sounds like the perfect piece of advice... until you scroll to the top of this forum and read Joey's initial comment. #backtothedrawingboard

• Advertisement

Hi AngryHippie

It reads to me like you have a vast knowledge regarding the pools here in Australia. I'm interested to know if you have worked over here. Which local pool complex and if so when, so I can get an idea where you comment is based on.

Otherwise your comment is taking this thread totally out of context.

It's about having the choice whether to wear a cap or not because the lame excuse the Irish swimming board has, is antiquated.

Don't focus on Australia, as you have, as it doesn't make for good debate... leaves, duck and snakes?? Really?

If you want to focus on something then take the perspective of the people visiting Ireland, from around the world, Swedes, Americans, South Africans, the like who are mostly tourists spending their money assisting the Irish economy.

It shouldn't be mandatory for them to wear a swimming cap if they are purely entering the pool on a casual basis, as tourists do. It takes the joy out of going for a swim.

I worked for a company in Australia for a number of years with over 40 pools & leisure centers in 4 states, which also had another branch with a nationwide chain of gyms & teaching pools, I worked in a dozen or so of their pools on different occasions.

I also worked in a half dozen pools in Ireland (all in Leinster) while I was living there, and swam regularly in countless others.

I'm not going to start naming names of places I have worked, as some were private companies, and some were local authorities, either way it is a ball of snakes I'm not going to touch. Some will be able to see a few of them from previous post history (without saying too much)

I'm not really taking the thread out of context as I've been attempting to address the OP
    how come it is compulsory in Ireland but the rest of the world doesn't bother
    by pointing out why Ireland in particular does, and some places in the rest of the world don't bother.

I'd be interested to hear who you consider to be the "Irish Swimming Board" to actually be ?
    perhaps ?
    I have no idea why anybody would focus on this. Not anyone working in the industry or with business awareness in any case. Having worked extensively in the Irish pool business for a decade, I can assure you that the portion of income (and repeat business in particular) coming from
    Swedes, Americans, South Africans, the like who are mostly tourists
    is absolutely minimal compared to the number of regular swimmers, squaddies, tri-clubs and learn-to-swim programmes. You can choose to ignore this commercial reality if it fits the point you are attempting to make though:rolleyes:
    If all of your regular pool users have an issue with it, then it would be a concern. One-off and casual users while still customers, have exponentially less influence over what is done and how it gets done.
    Again, you are ignoring the realities because you have a personal preference and axe to grind.

Anyhow, Thanks for the eh...feedback ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

While we're speaking of first world problems, ever been to a public pool in France and experienced their Speedos-only rule?

Took my son to the local (indoor) pool today… plenty of people but noticed only one person wearing a swim cap.. they were doing laps. Didn't see one strand of hair in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most people who call themselves bald are not fully bald, so I suppose it could be 1 rule for all to stop any arguments. People in charge might feel embarrassed or awkward rating peoples baldness, or having to get a ruler out to measure hair if a certain limit was introduced to exempt shaved heads.
    heldel00 wrote: »
    It wrecks my head but I have it down to a fine art at this stage and can snap those bad boys on in seconds now!!!

9VbjpiY.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^ have seen this done by the lifeguards at the pool. Knowing my luck I'd miss and they'd lose an eye! Explain that one to mammy and daddy!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My gripe is with the casual swimmer, wearing a swim cap takes the fun out of swimming. Totally ok with them when doing serious laps.

How does wearing a swim cap take the fun out of swimming? :confused:

Never even thought about this myself, always assumed they were compulsory everywhere for hygiene reasons. Body hair and head hair are different types of hair so body hair argument is a bit invalid...and a lot of men who swim regularly will remove their body hair anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

there is nothing worse when swimming and you catch a long hair in your fingers- yuck

• Registered Users Posts: 6 andyadc

At least its not just me !

We plan on taking our daughter swimming for the first time over the weekend. I couldn't believe it when my wife arrived home today with swimming caps for us all !

I told her she shouldn't have bothered for me and she says its COMPULSORY in the pool.

Being from the UK I genuinely couldn't believe it. So I googled it and found this !

Ireland really loves to be different doesn't it !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

How is it a bother to wear a swim hat?
    5 seconds after I put one on I forget it's there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

I dont have any issue wearing a hat, in fact its second nature to me and prefer to swim with a hat.

I understand what the OP is getting at but to be honest is making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just wear your hat in the water as requested

Advertisement