Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adult Beginner Swimming Lessons In North County Dublin

• 25-02-2009 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi, i really want to learn to swim! I'm 22 and had lessons when i was younger but never learned properly. . .i'm nervous under the water!
    could anyone recommend lessons in north county dublin e.g in swords or surrounding areas, that they may have found useful?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The lessons in the National Aquatic Centre (Blanchardstown) are very good and cheap too. €85 for a 10-week class.

I think DCU also does lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

You have a lot of options around there. There's a Jackie Skellys in swords, Sports link nearer santry, DCU and ALSAA at the airport.

I know most of the teachers in ALSAA. PM me if you'd like some specific advice and I can get you some contact names and numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dancer36

Hi, I'm in a similar position! im also 22 and want to learn how to swim before the summer. im looking up the national aquatic center for lesson's.. just wondering if anyone knows what it is like for lessons? I'm very nervous and have a lack of confidence when it comes to water (my only weakness!!!!!)! I would like to learn somewhere were I feel comfortable and relaxed so yeah if anyone has learned how to swim in the north county dublin area and has had a positive or negative experience?! thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Orfeo

I did beginner lessons in the National Aquatic Centre about 6 months ago and still use the place a lot. There's some great things about the place and some annoying aspects but I would say that it is probably the most accomodating place I know of for beginners.

When I went there to sign up and a week later for the first lesson I found it quite intimidating because I was very nervous in the water and it seems like an imposing place. The great thing about the lessons though is that they're done in a seperate pool away from 'gen pop' which has a uniform depth of about 1.5 meters which was great because you never have to worry about straying into a depth you are not comfortable with. There's also a choice between using a cubicle to change or a standard changing room so you have a choice. This seperate pool is also available at certain times (usually the morning or afternoon - the times are on the website) so you can practice on your own in a pool that is usually almost or completely empty. The woman doing the lessons was also good in that she would seperate the group into about 3 groups of different levels within the same lesson so you felt you were swimming with people of the same ability. The lessons are also well paced with the first few being very gentle introductions before slowly building up your confidence.

The downsides are that for the set of lessons I went to there were just too many there so you always felt like you were in someone else's way and it meant there wasn't much individual attention. If the instructor wasn't there then someone else would stand in but they always assumed everyone was a very beginner even in week 8 and always seemed to just watch over it instead of actually teaching which could be frustrating. Also at certain times of the day and sometimes during the lessons there would be a big group of kids from a school etc who tended to mill about the pool as it's near the changing area and watch you which can make you feel like you're in a goldfish bowl at times (although this only happens occasionally). Also the beginner pool is set at 1m when it's not being used for lessons which is quite awkward at first but is still perfectly usable once you get used to it.

I know that was all probably more detailed than it needed to be but the thing that put me off doing lessons for so long was fear of the unknown and a worry that I would be pushed out of my comfort zone so hopefully the info will be useful. The reason I keep mentioning the beginner pool rather than the lessons is that the 7 hours or so of lessons alone won't make you a good swimmer, you really need to come down on your own and put the hours in yourself. Also (unless you really take to it really easily or have a good bit of prior experience) don't expect to be completely comfortable in the 2.4 metre pool by the end of the 10 weeks. I think there is a new set of lessons starting up towards the end of April so it is a bit of a wait but if you signed up now you could definitely get a good head-start getting comfortable on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dancer36

Thanks very much gor your reply. You have given me more confidence to go ahead and inquire about lessons in National Aquatic Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 I P Freely

Clseeper wrote: »
    You have a lot of options around there. There's a Jackie Skellys in swords, Sports link nearer santry, DCU and ALSAA at the airport.

I know most of the teachers in ALSAA. PM me if you'd like some specific advice and I can get you some contact names and numbers.

Hi,

I just done a search on swimming lessons and i came acroos your comment. I used to do the lessons in the alsaa but I'm very nervous in the water, I think I'd need one to one lessons. I remember the oldish man that used to do the lessons up there and he seemed very good, would you know if he does one to one lessons?

Thanks

Advertisement