Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Public Swimming Pools: Locations and prices

Options
  • 16-04-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

I'd like to know where all the swimming pools where you can pay once offs are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Yup - [URL="http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=ss3dn1uj53i1p40393tgpur888@group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/Dublin
    "]I made this using that site[/URL] - looking to make one for the others.

I've sent emails to Kingfisher Renmore & NUIG, and the Carlton Hotel.

Any other gyms that have a public pool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

The Brothers of Charity place in Clarinbridge??

I don't know if they still do public swim hours tho.

They also have a pool in Renmore but I think that's only available for private hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What about the new hotel in salthill, meant to have a lovely swimming pool

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Was in the Salthill Hotel this morning with the small dude. Lovely pool, not sure if there are public hours though, this was a class.

• Advertisement

Is that the Galway Bay Hotel? I don't know which one is the new one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Kingfisher @ NUIG: http://www.kingfisherclub.com/timetable_nuigalway.html

Public Times
    Mon-Fri: 7am-9am, 2pm-3.30pm, 8.30pm-9.30pm.
    Sat/Sun: 9am-10am, 2pm-3.30pm

97379791.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I think the days hotel has public swimming hours.

dafunk wrote: »
    I think the days hotel has public swimming hours.

It's the Carlton now -they don't mention public swimming on their website so I emailed them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

I was going to start my own thread, but this might be a sensible place to add my query - does anyone know which pools in Galway city do adults swimming lessons and what the ballpark pricing is?

Not looking to swim competetively,and I can swim, but it's pretty graceless and I'd like to improve my technique and fitness to start scuba-diving and do a basic sea survival course for my degree.

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    Is that the Galway Bay Hotel? I don't know which one is the new one...

It's next to the Galway Bay closer to Blackrock, it's called The Salthill Hotel, was closed for years but was refurbished and reopened recently.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It's next to the Galway Bay closer to Blackrock, it's called The Salthill Hotel, was closed for years but was refurbished and reopened recently.

cool - sent them an email too 'cause their website isn't up yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Just back from Kingfisher. I don't know whether they're really due their regular clean or if they've never had anything in place to clean the pool and I'm only noticing the buildup now... but the pool is getting quite grimey.

In between the tiles in the deep end in particular. For the second time in a row I've handed the lifeguard 5 or 6 rusty screws from the bottom of the pool - neither times they seemed too concerned!! They could do with closing down for a day and giving the place a good clean.

Above the water they keep the place very well. I'd have offered to return with diving gear for a decent rate - but it'd have really looked like I came in with the rusty screws!!

Xiney wrote: »
    cool - sent them an email too 'cause their website isn't up yet

Just got the reply.

In fairness to them, they were the last email I sent and the only reply I've received so far.

They don't have public pool access though. You have to sign up for a 12 month membership which is either €750 or DD €69/mo (€828) so ah... yeah. Good luck to 'em.

Aw. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Eurochild

Was in the Kingfisher in Renmore yesterday to check their prices, its €8.50 for a non-member to swim, its a total rob. By way of comparison, a swim in the the Athlone Regional Sports Centre is €6.50 and if you go before 5PM its only €5. Not much alternatives though by the looks of it - Leisureland may as well be in a different town with the time it takes to get there from the East side at busy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but seems better to raise this from the dead that have a new one!

Anyone know if leisureland have a new website - the one in this thread is not working. Had a look at the calander link someone created on the previous page and it looks like there's some public sessions this week but would like to confirm it before heading down!

TIA

Rex

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hmm, I never noticed website went down.
    You could try ringing them, the phone number is shown on the first result.

biko wrote: »
    Hmm, I never noticed website went down.
    You could try ringing them, the phone number is shown on the first result.

That's great! Was struggling to even find that!!!

Gave leisureland a call there - the times on Xiney's site are still up to date

8.00, 12.30, 5.45 and 8 are the public sessions

they're closing from tomorrow (21st) to 28th December in case anyone is looking to get out there over the next few days.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭squonk

I was looking for one around Terryland. The NRG in Bohermore do public swimming. they normally, I'm told, don't do pool only membership but I rang them up and asked them. I got offered a deal of the off-peak membership and a 20pc discount on that. I can swim any time I want. going in this evening for a look. It comes out to E355/year but has to be booked by the 23rd. I'm going to pop in this evening for a look and if I like, I'll sign up. They're in Cuirt na Seoige in Bohermore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Thanks for resurrecting this thread.

Gawd, a swim in Galway cost's a fortune!! In the rest of Europe it cost's no more than an average of €4!! How's an Irish person supposed to stay healthy if they hate running (that'd be me:o).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pat4780

Anyone know of any gyms in Gaeltacht areas?Aside from the one in Furbo?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

pool in nuig kingfisher is getting mucky right enough. Definitely needs a good clean

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

*Resurrect*
    Anyone have an update on prices? Kingfisher renmore particularly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Brad768 wrote: »
    *Resurrect*
    Anyone have an update on prices? Kingfisher renmore particularly :)

http://www.kingfisherclub.com/timetable_renmore.html

Has the renmore kingfisher finished doing public swims? There is no mention of the times on the timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I'm glad that this thread was resurrected. I'll be in Galway later this month. This may come in handy.

Advertisement