Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bigchungus

I'm in need of some super-specific advice and wondering if anyone can weigh in. I'm a non-law grad with a 1.1 LLM, moved to the UK right before COVID to try get some experience and see a new city, but obviously that didn't work out amazingly. I've sat two FE1s in March just gone, but I'm now scratching my head and wondering whether I would be better off doing a course here in the UK and trying to qualify here instead. This is almost solely due to the lack of training contracts in Ireland, they seem non-existent at the moment and it just seems like a huge risk to put years into exams only to potentially come away with no means of qualifying. Will things pick up in terms of training contracts, or should I just make the most of where I am now, where there is probably a good deal more opportunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnnash2020

bigchungus wrote: »
    I'm in need of some super-specific advice and wondering if anyone can weigh in. I'm a non-law grad with a 1.1 LLM, moved to the UK right before COVID to try get some experience and see a new city, but obviously that didn't work out amazingly. I've sat two FE1s in March just gone, but I'm now scratching my head and wondering whether I would be better off doing a course here in the UK and trying to qualify here instead. This is almost solely due to the lack of training contracts in Ireland, they seem non-existent at the moment and it just seems like a huge risk to put years into exams only to potentially come away with no means of qualifying. Will things pick up in terms of training contracts, or should I just make the most of where I am now, where there is probably a good deal more opportunity?

It's definitely plausible that you could get a training contract with a UK firm, especially outside London, but if you get one, that means doing the full time GDL (their FE-1 equivalent but mandatory classes) and LPC (their Blackhall equivalent - you do it prior to starting in the firm). So that's the guts of two years and you won't get paid a salary to do either of them, you'll just get the fees paid for you. Comparatively, you get paid to go to Blackhall in Ireland and can work alongside FE-1s. If you're lucky enough to get a training contract with a top London firm though, they'll give you £7-10k in a grant for each of those two years, but you need to have been top of your year to even have a chance with those places. Aside from them however, I agree that there are definitely more law opportunities with smaller / midsize UK firms than there are in Ireland and more career options in general, but the GDL and LPC are a problem. If you're happy to shelf law and try something else I'd definitely go to London. But if you want to be a solicitor, Irish route seems more viable so best bet is probably to pick up FE-1s while you work somewhere and try get an Irish contract in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

It's definitely plausible that you could get a training contract with a UK firm, especially outside London, but if you get one, that means doing the full time GDL (their FE-1 equivalent but mandatory classes) and LPC (their Blackhall equivalent - you do it prior to starting in the firm). So that's the guts of two years and you won't get paid a salary to do either of them, you'll just get the fees paid for you. Comparatively, you get paid to go to Blackhall in Ireland and can work alongside FE-1s. If you're lucky enough to get a training contract with a top London firm though, they'll give you £7-10k in a grant for each of those two years, but you need to have been top of your year to even have a chance with those places. Aside from them however, I agree that there are definitely more law opportunities with smaller / midsize UK firms than there are in Ireland and more career options in general, but the GDL and LPC are a problem. If you're happy to shelf law and try something else I'd definitely go to London. But if you want to be a solicitor, Irish route seems more viable so best bet is probably to pick up FE-1s while you work somewhere and try get an Irish contract in the meantime.

Training in the UK is changing in September no longer do the GDL or LPC you do now the SQE and then two years of qualifying work experience in up to four different firms !

I’d say go for training in the uk if you like it over there !!!

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/law-sector/solicitors-qualifying-examination-sqe

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fe1taker1998

Hi all,
    Wondering would anybody have a criminal and equity grid they would be willing to share mine is only up until 2019 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Ianmc97 wrote: »
    I'm doing it at the moment like others have said it's geared to people who are working while doing ppc1. firstly it's longer than the standard ppc1 (9 or 10 months instead of 6) but if you are working I a solicitors office during this period you can use some of the time to finish your training early. the lectures are all online on demand(and you can play them at up to 2x speed which is a god send)

Generally every second Friday and Saturday there is live sessions from 9/10 till 6 this varies, depending on what's on and because of this the majority of people on the course don't work any Fridays. Any of the people on the course I've talked to were somewhat surprised at the amount of course work given that the course is longer than the standard corse particularly at the start but we have been told that the course is front loaded.

in a weekend with live sessions there is generally 6 tutorials and 1 workshop each tutorial has 2 or 3, 1 hour lectures behind it and specified reading if you were doing it 100% and then preparatory work to do in advance of it the workshops range from legal research to advising hypothetical clients to formal letter writing which all require work done in advance of them.

separate to the weekend live sessions each module has a live catch up session sporadically usually on in the middle of the day during the week these are not mandatory. and then there is reflective sessions once a month in the evening.

I'm lucky that where I'm working I'm able to do some lectures and tutorials in work when it's not busy but if your plan was to work long hours somewhere and not touch course work till later id say not to do it. you can get by without doing all the preparatory work and could take time off at the end to cram for the exams but you won't get the most out of the course, which is actually teaching you the practical parts of practicing as a solicitor, if you don't watch your lectures and adequately prepare for tutorials each fortnite (and this is coming from someone who didn't go to any tutorials in college) and if you are working late like one of the other people here said they were going to be you wouldn't be home till maybe 7 or 8 so you'd have a Sunday, Saturday and Sunday and then evenings from 7 till you go to bed to do the course you will be broken burnt out and make yourself sick in my opinion.

That sounds grim af? Are there any benefits at all? Does the continuous assessment go towards your final grades or is it pointless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    That sounds grim af? Are there any benefits at all? Does the continuous assessment go towards your final grades or is it pointless?

I thought PPC1 was supposed to be good fun lol

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ianmc97

Benefits are that you are able to work throughout it pretty much full time, and you don't have to worry about renting in Dublin or commuting and they give you a free ipad.

continuous assessment is all on a pass fail basis and your exam is 100% based on the end of Term exam.

but yes its very much a means to an end and not a big blow out celebration of having completed the fe1s on the piss every evening which we have all heard tell of from yester years. I know myself I am doing more now between the lectures and preparing correctly for tutorials and now starting to think about exams than I did in college. and while working at the same time

Benefits are that you are able to work throughout it pretty much full time, and you don't have to worry about renting in Dublin or commuting and they give you a free ipad.

continuous assessment is all on a pass fail basis and your exam is 100% based on the end of Term exam.

but yes its very much a means to an end and not a big blow out celebration of having completed the fe1s on the piss every evening which we have all heard tell of from yester years. I know myself I am doing more now between the lectures and preparing correctly for tutorials and now starting to think about exams than I did in college. and while working at the same time

That doesn't sound like a benefit to me... How does it compare to the regular Blackhall re in office experience? I was under the impression that a student doing the hybrid would qualify sooner, but based on what you've said, it's just 4/5 months of a difference? (Assuming that regular Blackhall students can also write off their preseat (5 months).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ianmc97

That doesn't sound like a benefit to me... How does it compare to the regular Blackhall re in office experience? I was under the impression that a student doing the hybrid would qualify sooner, but based on what you've said, it's just 4/5 months of a difference? (Assuming that regular Blackhall students can also write off their preseat (5 months).

You get an extra credit of 4 months along with the max number of months for pre ppc in office time. it ends up being about the same time as the longer course gives you a credit for around the same amount of time.

I think the main benefit is not having to go to dublin full time, trying to find somewhere to rent for 6 months. also in my case I got my results in January and started the Course in January my other option would be to wait until September and start PPC then and I would be fully qualified about a year later than im aiming for currently and would have had to either commute to dublin or pay through the nose for rent

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fe10000

Hi all,
    Wondering would anybody have a criminal and equity grid they would be willing to share mine is only up until 2019 :(

I have criminal up to Nov 2020 and equity up to March 2020 if you want to PM me your email :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Kellyg248

bobbyness wrote: »
    Hey. Just paying it forward. If anyone needs any notes/help on Company or EU law. Send me a message. Happy to forward

Courtesy of @Awsah on this forum. Please don't bother Awsah and let them revise in peace. Send me a message :)

Best of luck guys
    Please send to kellygillis2017@outlook.com. I really appreciate it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

Message me for notes/grids/papers/reports/sample answers on any subject. I also have some manuals in pdf form

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

I thought PPC1 was supposed to be good fun lol

It's hardly going to be fun during covid.

A lot of people on the course don't want to go on the piss with 23 year olds or commute / move to Dublin.

And it's a lot easier to convince your employer to sign your indentures when you're not asking for over half a year paid leave along with it. Particularly as I have to do a secondment so I'll be gone 6 months anyway.

You don't need to be so flippant. I'm getting a lot of great opportunities cos I decided to start early rather than hang around until September 2021 and have to deal with other members of staff finishing their FE1s. I like having fun as much as the next person but take a look at the milkrouds thread and remember people with TCs are very fortunate and not to be so disparaging to someone trying to inform someone else.

You get an extra credit of 4 months along with the max number of months for pre ppc in office time. it ends up being about the same time as the longer course gives you a credit for around the same amount of time.

I think the main benefit is not having to go to dublin full time, trying to find somewhere to rent for 6 months. also in my case I got my results in January and started the Course in January my other option would be to wait until September and start PPC then and I would be fully qualified about a year later than im aiming for currently and would have had to either commute to dublin or pay through the nose for rent

But it's virtual now I presume? Haha

It's hardly going to be fun during covid.

A lot of people on the course don't want to go on the piss with 23 year olds or commute / move to Dublin.

And it's a lot easier to convince your employer to sign your indentures when you're not asking for over half a year paid leave along with it. Particularly as I have to do a secondment so I'll be gone 6 months anyway.

You don't need to be so flippant. I'm getting a lot of great opportunities cos I decided to start early rather than hang around until September 2021 and have to deal with other members of staff finishing their FE1s. I like having fun as much as the next person but take a look at the milkrouds thread and remember people with TCs are very fortunate and not to be so disparaging to someone trying to inform someone else.

Jesus take a chill pill.. Don't be so serious 24/7. It was a lighthearted comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 KingofTheFE1s

Hey folks, does anyone have an up to date Company grid they can send me. I have notes for all the other subjects I can swap. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lawster

For anyone slagging off someone for considering a training contract for the living wage, circa €22K per year, do a google search for "Be grateful for what you have" and try and understand humility. Just replace the desired helicopter with "a training contract".

The training contract is temporary. It is only one milestone on the road to qualification.

From a qualified solicitor who was once where you are now!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

I know it's unlikely considering how fast the vaccination programme seems to be picking up (an amazing thing btw!) but I would love if the exams were online in October.

Yes, it has its flaws but the anxiety which a physical exam hall induces is just next level, everyone stresses everyone else out, even having to sort accommodation and travel etc. just compounds the stress of the whole thing. I'd be interested to hear what other people think?

Again, very unlikely but it would be great if some sort of hybrid-sitting could be developed to facilitate those who want to sit the exam in person and those who want to keep doing it online.

dobby896 wrote: »
    I know it's unlikely considering how fast the vaccination programme seems to be picking up (an amazing thing btw!) but I would love if the exams were online in October.

Yes, it has its flaws but the anxiety which a physical exam hall induces is just next level, everyone stresses everyone else out, even having to sort accommodation and travel etc. just compounds the stress of the whole thing. I'd be interested to hear what other people think?

Again, very unlikely but it would be great if some sort of hybrid-sitting could be developed to facilitate those who want to sit the exam in person and those who want to keep doing it online.

Whatever ones views on it, the online exam had some serious issues. There was a lot of technical challenges involved and the risks of cheating is very high.

Unfortunately the hybrid system doesn't work either because the people sitting online would have a greater advantage in their exams (consider the massive speed difference between typing and writing).

Considering how reluctant the Law Soc was having the exams online in the first place, I think they would be first to get the exams back to a physical sittings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Speaking of the Law Society ..has anybody had any luck in pinning down an actual date for our results ? March seems soooooo long ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Whatever ones views on it, the online exam had some serious issues. There was a lot of technical challenges involved and the risks of cheating is very high.

Unfortunately the hybrid system doesn't work either because the people sitting online would have a greater advantage in their exams (consider the massive speed difference between typing and writing).

Considering how reluctant the Law Soc was having the exams online in the first place, I think they would be first to get the exams back to a physical sittings.

Fair yes, just wanted to see what other people thought anyway.

Apparently the Red Cow is currently being used for MHQ so that could liven up the experience haha

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Creg12

dobby896 wrote: »
    Fair yes, just wanted to see what other people thought anyway.

Apparently the Red Cow is currently being used for MHQ so that could liven up the experience haha

What is MHQ?

Creg12 wrote: »
    What is MHQ?

Is it Mandatory Hotel Quarantine ??

• Registered Users Posts: 20 UCCME

Did anyone apply for the Dept. of Foreign Affairs internships?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Some people definitely live under a rock LOL.

Your posts are increasingly unhelpful and shady the more I notice them. Why bother

• Advertisement

Your posts are increasingly unhelpful and shady the more I notice them. Why bother

Yes you're right. I deleted the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DavidX90

Has anyone tried to phone the Law Society for an update on exam results?

Surely they are in a position to finalise the release date at this stage...!?

Thanks

I have re-sent an enquiry email this morning also ....
    Its supposed to be next week!!- if I hear back I will let you know.
    They are pups!

I have re-sent an enquiry email this morning also ....
    Its supposed to be next week!!- if I hear back I will let you know.
    They are pups!

Cheers.

"Provisionally scheduled for publication during the week starting Monday 24 May" is a joke at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

DavidX90 wrote: »
    Cheers.

"Provisionally scheduled for publication during the week starting Monday 24 May" is a joke at this point.

this is always the case. the Law Soc will send an email this Friday if we are to expect them the week of the 24th (Friday being the date of results ; the 28th)..

i wouldn't hold my breath anyway until receiving that email.

• Advertisement

lawDani wrote: »
    this is always the case. the Law Soc will send an email this Friday if we are to expect them the week of the 24th (Friday being the date of results ; the 28th)..

i wouldn't hold my breath anyway until receiving that email.

Pre-covid this was the case .

Cant remember did they do it that way last time around or even remember getting a "the week of" email before ..... Please god this time around they will be kinder and at least narrow it down to an actual day!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Hi all

My Dublin firm are looking for:
    - NQ corporate solicitor.
    - 3-5yr PQE M&A solicitor.
    - 4-6yr PQE corporate solicitor.

DM me if you know anyone that may be interested.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Bantz_Control

Hey everyone. Someone on this thread - might have been a while back - made a post linking to his (Drive? Docs?) account which contained all of his FE-1 notes for the various subjects. Problem is, I can't seem to find it anymore. Can anybody here locate it?

Hey everyone. Someone on this thread - might have been a while back - made a post linking to his (Drive? Docs?) account which contained all of his FE-1 notes for the various subjects. Problem is, I can't seem to find it anymore. Can anybody here locate it?

this is kind of gold. i would also enjoy this.. love the comradery here!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭murray132

I’m not sure if this is the exact one that you’re looking for, but here is a google drive with docs !

Snip: Copyrighted material removed. Please stop posting copyrighted material or links to it

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Has the law society responded to anyone’s emails asking for a confirmation of results date?

Has the law society responded to anyone’s emails asking for a confirmation of results date?

Yes. No updates available other than "keep an eye on the website"... Ridiculous

Yes. No updates available other than "keep an eye on the website"... Ridiculous

My god that is so infuriating

My god that is so infuriating

It’s easier to sit them than get the results!

It’s easier to sit them than get the results!

The most difficult aspect of the FE-1s, without doubt. Dealing with the LSI's incompetence has genuinely aged me.

• Advertisement

The most difficult aspect of the FE-1s, without doubt. Dealing with the LSI's incompetence has genuinely aged me.

im grey now ngl..

When I try to even log into the law society page I just get the blue circle going round and round

• Registered Users Posts: 15 milktray22

Results out this Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

11am Friday.. *nervous sweating*

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Bantz_Control

Are we going to have the situation as last time where the results showed up a day before on the portal? If so, can anybody please let us know if you've managed to access it beforehand!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cillbill94

Hey,

Does anyone know where we find our Law Society ID number. I don't even recall seeing it, ive logged into law society before with my email address but now its saying I need my ID number?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cillbill94

Oh, they actually say in the email, they will send id in another email by 11 am thursday. so nvm then,

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Fe1ak

I haven't been able to log into the law soc website for about 2 months now as anytime I try the page just loads for ages. Anyone else having that problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭murray132

Fe1ak wrote: »
    I haven't been able to log into the law soc website for about 2 months now as anytime I try the page just loads for ages. Anyone else having that problem?

Yes, I am having the same issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 LawNerd2020

When I logged in, I got this. Is anybody getting that message when they log in? Best of luck on Friday everybody.Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 20.18.47.png

Advertisement