Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I go to the odeon in Coolock and they don’t keep the lights on for safety. Maybe if the screen has steps they might have to.

I can only imagine the law suits they must have been getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was in Cineworld this morning (been sticking to lighthouse recently) they were checking for covid certs not had that before has that been about for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Was there last night to see Dune and they did indeed keep the lights on throughout. It was ridiculous and really detracted from the picture on screen, making many of the dark scenes look very grey and washed out. Hugely disappointing, won't be in a rush to go back to that cinema again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

good to know, thats where I was going to go, Dundrum it is then

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

That's so stupid that they do that, hopefully not a thing all cinemas end up doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

There’s no way in hell I’d go to a cinema that did that. I’d say a lot of people would be the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Odeon is well known for this and have been doing it for years. It's for safety because they are too cheap to put floor lights in or pay anyone to guide people to their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Looks like the having seats booked around you is gone at Omniplex now so they're back to full capacity. Was nice having those seats being blocked tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

I kind of liked having nobody behind me, guaranteed nobody would put their feet on your seat.

Ya, was a benefit. Less people in the cinema so less chance of idiots and more space around you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

It must have been a very long time since I was last there, because the lights-on during the entire movie was new to me! I'm definitely going to email them about it, for all the good that will do.

I'm not being overly dramatic when I say that it really did ruin the clarity of the picture, especially one that had as many dark scenes as Dune. For a cinema that apparently promotes the experience of the image as a main part of the draw to their iSense screen (4k projection and ceiling to floor picture), its bonkers that they would then go and hamper the visual experience in such a negative way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Huh, if this is common policy to keep the lights on with Odeon, I may think twice about going to see Dune in Odeon Blanch on Friday. I've a local AMC and don't think they're doing that, was just going to be in the d15 area anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I am not sure if they always do it but I first heard about it on here at least 8 years ago in relation to Odeon in Blanch. At the time they were telling people it was policy due to safety. Like Mr S, I assume it was because someone had fallen and threatened them with an injuries claim.

I was once in a cinema where someone left one of the emergency exits open and the light from the door was enough to make night scenes unwatchable. The overhead lights, even on dim, would make the whole film unwatchable. I am very sensitive to stuff like this having suffered through multiple dim screenings at Vue due to the crappy 3d lenses most of their screens are outfitted with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Cinema yesterday evening, a few things due to Covid19; mask in lobby and having to order food on self service machines...also it was very cold in the screen, imagine it was due to ventilation

Has anyone noticed that Omniplex doesn't have large drinks anymore. I've been to a few different screenings in Cork over the last few weeks and never had them, and don't seem to be able to book them online on different cinemas.

Anyone know what's about?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No idea; stuff like this I'm just assuming is all part of the Global Supply Chain issues hiting all walks of life; maybe there simply isn't enough mixture to allow for "large" orders 🤷‍♂️

Apparently it's a shortage of paper worldwide which is why they don't have the large cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That doesn't sound too good for the cinema industry in general.

Does this paper shortage currently affecting Irish cinema chains in providing popcorn at the lobbies to cinema patrons?

Does anyone here assume that the paper shortage that could become a massive in lasting throughput 2022?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Was able to get a large coke in Omniplex few days ago but still no nachos due to 'Brexit' :'(

Looks like it's official now and CoVid certs are required for entry into cinemas; Based on experience from cafés, half the time they don't actually check once you say "yup, I have mine...", so I can't see the teenage workforce applying any greater rigour if they don't have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Have only been asked once and I don't mind to be fair anyhow. Only thing is your right they probably won't care but that's up to them once I show them and get to go in i don't care.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I mostly go to the IFI, Light House and occasionally Cineworld, which aren't representative of the standard multiplex. But they've been checking for passes extremely thoroughly since the rules were tightened in late October. Strict door checks at the IFI; escalator check at Cineworld; and particularly strict checks at LH when even going up to buy a snack or drink (then another check at the ticket check, though they stamp your ticket if someone checks your cert upstairs).

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

I went to the Bond film when it opened in Dundrum, just to get myself back in there and kind of was comparing notes at intervals via WhatsApp with a friend who was simultaneously watching g it remotely. The cinema was almost totally empty, less than 15 present, so felt reasonably safe. At that time tbh I wasn’t really concerned at all about being out and about. However presently I would avoid situations where there was more than myself and inviduals. Ironically the day I saw that film there were so few present I would have e been really quite safe, but presently with the sheer viral burden in the air I wouldn’t trust indoor public congregations at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Had to make a between cinema dash to see Spiderman as I mistakingly thought I'd get a ticket, but every screening was sold out. Throughout the day. Just about got a ticket for the other place.

If it can sustain that run it'd give you hope for the form surviving yet.

I couldn't remember if West Side Story was filmed before or during lockdown and then I came across several behind-the-scenes images in which the cast and crew are all hugging and holding hands and I got my answer. Sad how much the world has changed.

What capacity are cinemas running at at the minute then? Haven't kept up with any of the Omicron changes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's odd that they've done away with having every other row cordoned off to enable social distancing, to having every row open but the venue is at 50% capacity. Went to see Spiderman last night. Busy!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Olive00

I used to go to the cinema often, then the lockdown started, they closed. But then they opened, and it's possible to go to the cinema, but I don't really want to, I'm used to watching movies at home now.

Advertisement