Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cleopatra

Options
  • 16-10-2020 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭

Gadot made the announcement about her casting as Cleopatra on Twitter writing, "As you might have heard I teamed up with @PattyJenks and @LKalogridis to bring the story of Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt, to the big screen in a way she's never been seen before. To tell her story for the first time through women's eyes, both behind and in front of the camera."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/12/entertainment/gal-gadot-cleopatra-patty-jenkins-movie-trnd/index.html

Have to say I find this interesting and not because of the outrage it's provoked; based on what we know Cleopatra wasn't Hollywood beautiful so I'll be curious to see if Gadot undergoes some sort of physical transformation, as I can't see Jenkins shying away from the challenge of telling a story where Cleopatra's looks aren't the primary focus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well, according to scientists this is what she actually looked like:

image1.jpg

Probably stunning by old Egyptian means, but compared to the fakeness of beauty today she didn't look great. Add in the power she had and she probably gets better looking (imo). And I enjoyed WW so hopefully with the main actor and director together again (and also for WW84) it could be good, as long as it avoids the in-your-face girl power everyone seems to be pushing these days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Frankly, let Gal Gadot look herself. It would be studio suicide to de-attract her.

Unless this is some kinda Indie movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Patty have casted Gal before so no wonder she wanted her for Cleopatra too.

Cleopatra was known for her beauty so casting a present-day beauty is probably a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Cleo was known in her later legend as a "beauty". In reality, and I believe it's borne out by contemporary writing, she was of average looks but had a very sharp mind, which was well cultivated with the finer aspects of Ptolemaic education.

The key to her success, though, (and also her eventual downfall) was that she was ruler of an important piece of real estate and didn't shy away from sleeping around with powerful men who could be of use to her. Hello Gaius Julius and Marcus Antonious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I look forward to Gals rendition of those scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

is it out yet? or like a trailer? when did they say they're gonna release it or at least start filming?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jenkins replaced by The Falcon and the Winter Soldier director Kari Skogland

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Jenkins seems to be having a hard time of it lately. 'Rogue Squadron' is...ahem..."shelved" and now she's been given the boot from this. I wonder what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Advertisement