Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is best / cheapst electricity provider

Options
  • 28-02-2020 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭

My contract is up with electric ireland , called to see if they had any loyalty offers as with them 4 years , they offered nothing
    Who is best to move to or are they all the same?
    Surely some have offers to get you in the door?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

bonkers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teroknor83

It seems loyalty is never rewarded by most service providers. I find the best thing to do is swap every year or two... they give you a cheaper rate for the first year but charges go up afterwards and they hope you won't swap.

Check out bonkers.ie and compare prices and swap often!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

Im paying 16.5 per unit now
    electric ireland said its dropping to 14 on 1st april

Never heard of bonkers , must check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

My contract is about to expire with Energia, in fairness they did give an offer for staying but its still not great, so I'm looking at moving to Iberdrola 'duel fuel 23'. I think its a good rate:

https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/iberdrola/ADCFZ2/dual-fuel-23/

Its slightly higher rates on the electricity compared to my current rate with Energia but it looks to be the best at the moment according to bonkers.

** Edit, sorry just noticed you are just looking for electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sc86 wrote: »
    Never heard of bonkers , must check them out
    it's a price comparison site much the same as switcher.ie. They do the donkey work for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

there telling me my current provider are best

sc86 wrote: »
    there telling me my current provider are best
    That would be the best for new customers so you should ignore your current provider (unless they make you a good offer to stay) and concentrate on the next best provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭horse7

ando wrote: »
    My contract is about to expire with Energia, in fairness they did give an offer for staying but its still not great, so I'm looking at moving to Iberdrola 'duel fuel 23'. I think its a good rate:

https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/iberdrola/ADCFZ2/dual-fuel-23/

Its slightly higher rates on the electricity compared to my current rate with Energia but it looks to be the best at the moment according to bonkers.

** Edit, sorry just noticed you are just looking for electricity

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/iberdrola.ie. Always check with trustpilot. Cheapest are not the best.

teroknor83 wrote: »
    It seems loyalty is never rewarded by most service providers. I find the best thing to do is swap every year or two... they give you a cheaper rate for the first year but charges go up afterwards and they hope you won't swap.

Check out bonkers.ie and compare prices and swap often!

I was on a good deal with Panda Power (25% off dual fuel), and regularly get utility companies knocking trying to get me to switch. When they look at my bill and see what I'm on, they say that I'm already on a better deal than they can offer anyway.

When my contract was up, I went for the switch, and Panda offered to keep me on my same deal. First time in years I've stuck with the same provider for more than a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

+1

Panda Power

• Advertisement

I never heard of Iberdrola until reading this thread. I would never move to any provider unless they have been around for a while and/or have a reasonably good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Sorry to piggyback on the thread here but also looking for similar information. According to Bonkers I have 2 really cheap options in Panda Power and Glow Power but can't find much about either of them online. Not massively concerned about customer service, after all ESB look after the network infrastructure so any faults etc will be handled by them but at the same time it's nice to have peace of mind dealing with a reputable company for any dodgy bills etc.

The safe option is ESB however they are 4c per unit higher than Panda for my nightsaver rural meter so the savings are significant in going with the lesser known option. Any experiences here?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Just got a massive bill from esb, time for me to switch me thinks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

_Godot_ wrote: »
    Just got a massive bill from esb, time for me to switch me thinks.

Check if the bill is an estimate firstly. If the bill is higher than usual its either estimated or you have consumed more. The rates with Electric Ireland are decreasing on April 1st so take that into account when looking at switching options.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Davy wrote: »
    Check if the bill is an estimate firstly. If the bill is higher than usual its either estimated or you have consumed more. The rates with Electric Ireland are decreasing on April 1st so take that into account when looking at switching options.

It is an estimated bill, previous bill was 250, this bill is 860. Can't pay, hoping there's just a mistake made somewhere and they'll reduce it. Still want to switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

_Godot_ wrote: »
    It is an estimated bill, previous bill was 250, this bill is 860. Can't pay, hoping there's just a mistake made somewhere and they'll reduce it. Still want to switch.

If the bill is recent, and the estimate is very different to the actual they will amend the bill. Read the meter asap and contact them.

Going forward, you could look to level pay. You pay the same amount each month which is estimated on your annual usage/spend. Not all providers allow this so ask before switching. Be warned that this often means you over pay and end up being in credit.

Advertisement