Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comrades 2019

Options
  • 17-10-2018 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭

Entries open tomorrow, I'll just leave this here ;)

463969.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Curse you! Just when I'm trying to convince myself to take it easy for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

entered... yipee!! now to start training...
    seems to be selling fast, 8000 entries gone after 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

Entered as well myself, managed to resist for no more than a few hours :o

Heading for 10k entries now!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Entered - this should be interesting 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Good luck lads...A nice focus to have to keep you well motivated through the winter!

• Advertisement

Like all big events these days it seems to be selling a lot faster, close to 19k entries today with a cap at 25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

would love to try this some day, 2019 looking hectic already so maybe 2020!

Filled up fairly quickly. Official promo video is below to whet your appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭ooter

Apologies for bumping an old thread but looking for some information for the 2020 event. I seen this on the official site, how do I get written approval?
    Is this a new thing or was it always the case?
    All foreign athletes must note that in order to participate in the event, they require written approval (a permit) from their National Federations.

ooter wrote: »
    Apologies for bumping an old thread but looking for some information for the 2020 event. I seen this on the official site, how do I get written approval?
    Is this a new thing or was it always the case?
    All foreign athletes must note that in order to participate in the event, they require written approval (a permit) from their National Federations.

it was always there but this year they decided to try and enforce, which caused a big uproar. all international runners got a mail recently, saying that the requirement for the clearance letter requested by CMA is withdrawn.

Basically dont worry about it.

• Advertisement

Spotted this pic on the Comrades FB, road markings are going down. Something to look forward to :p

477322.jpg

Little taster of what's to come in a month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

So how many boardsies are actually doing this? It really does look like an amazing race, secretly on the bucket list. (Well, maybe not so secret now).

Sounds like three of us unless anybody is lurking :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    So how many boardsies are actually doing this? It really does look like an amazing race, secretly on the bucket list. (Well, maybe not so secret now).

yep i am doing it. ill be on the startline very undercooked but ill give it a blast anyway.

i see Cathriona Jennings and Gary O' Hanlon, are on the start list, it will be interesting to see how they do.

Burren marathon ticked off yesterday, thankfully that's pretty much it for Comrades as feel like I want to sleep for a week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Enjoy the Comrades experience! I did my PhD fieldwork in Pietermaritzburg which is just a sports crazy city, and comrades itself has such a long tradition. I don't envy you running up those hills but it is a beautiful part of the world so I hope you all are able to enjoy the sights as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

opus wrote: »
    Burren marathon ticked off yesterday, thankfully that's pretty much it for Comrades as feel like I want to sleep for a week :)

Good luck, J. Have a good run.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Best of luck to everyone doing Comrades this weekend. Listening to a Marathon Talk podcast about it now and it sounds amazing.

So disappointed I had to pull out - knee injury that just didn't quite fix itself. Thanks J for your advice and best of luck! Next year . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Jennings 2nd. Running well 4min behind leader. 32k to go. Getting good air time too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Jennings seriously hurting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

OOnegative wrote: »
    Jennings seriously hurting!!!
    She's in 3rd now. Be great if she could hold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

She has been digging deep by the looks of it, pure grit now. Looks like will hold on to 3rd.

Fantastic achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

What a fantastic run by Caitriona! Sensational!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That's an amazing run by her. Hope the media cover this.

Happy to report that dcorcaigh & myself made it to the finish in Pietermaritzburg last Sunday :) Within a few mins of each other in fact!

That was indeed a fantastic result from Catriona Jennings, hopefully she'll go back again as they all say that you have to run Comrades at least once to know how to approach it.

Figure I'll take a break next year & maybe head back for the 100th anniversary in '21. It's two Down runs in a row now cause of that.

If anyone is thinking of doing it & want to ask a few questions no problem dropping me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Caitriona Jennings will be interviewed on Marathon Talk in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    Happy to report that dcorcaigh & myself made it to the finish in Pietermaritzburg last Sunday :) Within a few mins of each other in fact!

That was indeed a fantastic result from Catriona Jennings, hopefully she'll go back again as they all say that you have to run Comrades at least once to know how to approach it.

Figure I'll take a break next year & maybe head back for the 100th anniversary in '21. It's two Down runs in a row now cause of that.

If anyone is thinking of doing it & want to ask a few questions no problem dropping me a PM.

great to meet you on the route Opus.. only 15 Irish entered and i manged to bump into 3 of us in the space of 2 miles, gas.

also planning to go back in 2 years for the 100 year anniversary.

this was my 1st comrades and it lived up and exceeded my expectations would recommend it to anyone.

Advertisement