Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn Mower Service Rip-Off

Options
  • 07-04-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I left my 2 year old lawn-mower in for a service last week, and nearly had a conniption fit when I went back to collect it, and was presented with a bill for €102.00. Labour charge was €60.00, plus VAT. The maddening thing is that it was working perfectly, all I asked for was a service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Going in to pick up mine now for €72. But it needed a new carburetor. I haven't seen the bill so I don't know what the labour cost is yet, but I know the carburetor costs around €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Labour was €29.52, plug €4, oil €4.88 and carburetor €22.36. €72 including VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

I left my 2 year old lawn-mower in for a service last week, and nearly had a conniption fit when I went back to collect it, and was presented with a bill for €102.00. Labour charge was €60.00, plus VAT. The maddening thing is that it was working perfectly, all I asked for was a service.

Did he give a breakdown of how long he spent on it ie. hourly rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

redser7 wrote: »
    Did he give a breakdown of how long he spent on it ie. hourly rate?

Diaphram €4.07 plus 23% VAT
    Spark Plug €4.17 plus 23% VAT
    EngneOil €3.30 plus 23% VAT
    Cable throttle lever asst €16.26 plus 23% VAT
    Labor €59.48 plus 13.5% VAT

I think I might buy a goat.

Diaphram €4.07 plus 23% VAT
    Spark Plug €4.17 plus 23% VAT
    EngneOil €3.30 plus 23% VAT
    Cable throttle lever asst €16.26 plus 23% VAT
    Labor €59.48 plus 13.5% VAT

I think I might buy a goat.

Labour seems a bit ridiculous. Id say ask him how long it took. I do my own mower and I can change oil, spark plug and paper air filter in about 20 minutes. no mention of an air filter on yours. i've never changed a diaphragm but there is a video of a guy on you tube doing it in 10 mins and that's with talking through it.

I also sharpen blades and lubricate wheels and drive chain, clean the carburettor, wash the pre filter, clean the fuel line and clean out debris around engine and other places with an air compressor.

All in all i've never spent more than an hour and a half servicing a lawn mower thoroughly and I only learned off you tube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Labour seems a bit ridiculous. Id say ask him how long it took. I do my own mower and I can change oil, spark plug and paper air filter in about 20 minutes. no mention of an air filter on yours. i've never changed a diaphragm but there is a video of a guy on you tube doing it in 10 mins and that's with talking through it.

I also sharpen blades and lubricate wheels and drive chain, clean the carburettor, wash the pre filter, clean the fuel line and clean out debris around engine and other places with an air compressor.

All in all i've never spent more than an hour and a half servicing a lawn mower thoroughly and I only learned off you tube

Mine takes the same to do a easy hour with a cuppa and general look over making sure everything is as it should

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I had full service on mower recently with, oil change, filter change, check blade, grease wheels and reset trottle/choke stop and he charged me €30.00

Don't complain, don't question just don't go there again.

I had a guy charge me nearly €200 for a strimmer service once, I paid it but have warned off many prospective pro clients in the meantime. He may have got me for the initial amount but I could have deprived him of thousands in purchasing and servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I had full service on mower recently with, oil change, filter change, check blade, grease wheels and reset trottle/choke stop and he charged me €30.00

I had a guy charge me nearly €200 for a strimmer service once, I paid it but have warned off many prospective pro clients in the meantime. He may have got me for the initial amount but I could have deprived him of thousands in purchasing and servicing.

:eek: standard service or did it take any new parts? Thats ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

:eek: standard service or did it take any new parts? Thats ridiculous!

iirc it was €120 just for labour then the rest for oil, checking blade etc. it was a rip off but I know the guys and me that were warned off have subsequently spent over €30k cumulatively elsewhere on new machinery....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Kind of fundamental.... What sort of Lawnmower??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 rlady

You paid a lot for a lawnmower repair service. I had it repaired for just $ 100 last year. What kind of lawnmower was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

€120 service with Honda dealer locally & same price with another independent dealer in the county . Ride on mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

rlady wrote: »
    You paid a lot for a lawnmower repair service. I had it repaired for just $ 100 last year. What kind of lawnmower was it?

it was 7 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I don't agree with you there. As a nation we are horrendous for calling a service provider to task for poor service, inferior products or service, over charging, price gouging etc. The joke of when asked by a waiter if everything is alright and we typically say yes even though its not right at all is just that - a joke.

Someone of Eastern European descent will most likely tell you when a service is not up to scratch or if they feel they are being fleeced - we should take a leaf out of their book on this one.

Advertisement