Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Lighting

Options
  • 07-10-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi there , just wanted to know if any of ye had changed from fluorescent to LED tubes and from Halogen to LED floodlights

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Have a few led floodlights got. Just to get time to fit them. Halogen filament lamps were a pure nuisance. Always blowing and hard on electricity, alot of heat off them and hard on electricity.

I see changing the flour tubes for leds involves cutting out the starter so not a straight swop. Another job that will be done down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Just rewired the yard and used all LED. Same problems with Halogen as Muckit bloody things were always blowing and the 2 I had were on new wiring etc. Took them out and replaced with LED. Not quite as bright maybe but do the job a1 ok imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭vinne

I was told you could replace the fluorescent with the led tube,. by just changing the starter to an led starter. Came across this web site www.farmlighting.ie they look good , what do ye think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

Well flood lights you are going from 500w to 50w so @ average 5 hrs a day for 100 days/yr assuming €0.16/kWh is a cost of €40 reduced to €4.. that is €36 saving a year.. so it pays for itself in 4 years for a high quality one..
    the tubes are a different story, 58w to 24w at the same usage as above has a saving of €2.70/yr... and if the life time is 50k hrs.. Led tubes don't pay in my eyes.. but floodlights do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

larthehar wrote:
    Well flood lights you are going from 500w to 50w so @ average 5 hrs a day for 100 days/yr assuming €0.16/kWh is a cost of €40 reduced to €4.. that is €36 saving a year.. so it pays for itself in 4 years for a high quality one.. the tubes are a different story, 58w to 24w at the same usage as above has a saving of €2.70/yr... and if the life time is 50k hrs.. Led tubes don't pay in my eyes.. but floodlights do!

There is also the hassle of bulb changing to consider.

I'm about to put in a few Led. . Thought I'd do the inaccessible ones and use some new halogens in the easy spots (no pun intended)

Is 50watt the effective minimum? Would 2 x 30 be better spaced apart given the less intense light?

• Advertisement

The one thing I hate about the fluorescent tubes, if you use them a lot the starter goes and that can cause the tubes to blow. With the LED you will not have that problem.

Also another fact that I learnt from an electrician is that the light from fluorescent tubes diminishes over time. So even though the tubes mightn't blow, they are not giving out the same light 10 years or so after they are fitted. They are still possibly using the same power though.

I'm not sure about your calculations iarthar with standard vs. Led tubes.
    Starters use a lot of energy so I would have thought that conventional flour lights would use a lot more electricity over led equiv if used for short periods every day. Perhaps l am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

I am was going to change to LED floodlights as well, I was told to use a factor of 10 ie 500w halogen is the same as 50 LED, is this true? I'd love to see a 50w LED working at night to be sure its the same light out put.

Muckit wrote: »
    Also another fact that I learnt from an electrician is that the light from fluorescent tubes diminishes over time. So even though the tubes mightn't blow, they are not giving out the same light 10 years or so after they are fitted. They are still possibly using the same power though.

I'm not sure about your calculations iarthar with standard vs. Led tubes.
    Starters use a lot of energy so I would have thought that conventional flour lights would use a lot more electricity over led equiv if used for short periods every day. Perhaps l am wrong.

Hi Muckit,

Huge amount of variables... I am assuming an electronic ballast in my calculations, the magnetic ballasts use more.. approx 25% from memory? So that would help things..
    also is lights being replaced were at end of life or not.. The T8 electronic start fittings are a more cost effective solution IMO.. but again depends on usage, etc..

Czhornet wrote: »
    I am was going to change to LED floodlights as well, I was told to use a factor of 10 ie 500w halogen is the same as 50 LED, is this true? I'd love to see a 50w LED working at night to be sure its the same light out put.

I have good quality 50w installed and I think they are better than the 500w halogen that was installed in the same area as light is white.. they are guides available for sizing area

• Advertisement

I ordered LED tubes and LED floodlights from farmlighting.ie when I get them I'll report back on the quality of them

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Vinnie priced some eletrical stuff at 2 local coops today and that website was cheaper and better quality. Going to order a couple 2 gang IS 66 from them; they are cheaper and have switches and power indicators. Neither coop could offer that type. Thanks for link! Wish I had it sooner! Meant to say also used a sodium lamp in the yard as electrican recommendend it for side of yard next to house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

We got a 50watt LED floodlight to replace a 500watt halogen that had given up the ghost, quite happy with it, different quality of light from the halogen but you don't be long getting used to it.

Got it from up North on ebay, he seems to be out of stock on 50s at the moment but when they come back in I'd be happy to get a few more.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Led-Floodlight-20-30-50watt-IP65-with-without-PIR-Low-power-Day-White-SALE-/331629425318?var=&hash=item4d36a772a6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Some English couple in Leitrim used to have big adds on donedeal with a shed full of lamps.
    I got a few in there's couple years ago

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Has anyone put LED work lights on a tractor/ loader? I heard that the low wattage loads reduces heating in wiring by a good bit.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Just a quick one , I got them LED tubes and floodlights today from farmlighting, very happy with the quality of them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Has anyone put LED work lights on a tractor/ loader? I heard that the low wattage loads reduces heating in wiring by a good bit.

Didn't do it myself but was thinking of it. A neighbour has it done and only seen then in passing and looked powerful enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Was useing my neighbours tractor a few weeks ago and he has the work lights changed to led and I think they are the job. Really white light like day from them when working in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

blue5000 wrote: »

Have driven a few tractors/loader with them and the light is unreal, takes a while to get used to white light but defo a good job.

Just to let ye know the electrician put up them LED lights , he was very impressed with the quality and the price , we were looking at them there now and there is a great light out of them. I got them here if anyone is interested www.farmlighting.ie

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

247 lighting brand led worklights after 18 months on roof of my Land Rover. Gave up working recently. Electronics destroyed by corrosion due to condensation.

247 lighting brand led worklights after 18 months on roof of my Land Rover. Gave up working recently. Electronics destroyed by corrosion due to condensation.

Was just looking online there and a few ppl say to run a bead of silicone around the lenses.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Put leds on a track machine and tbh whilst being a brilliant light o find my eyes get tired with them in comparison to the halogen

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bscan86

vinne wrote:
    The one thing I hate about the fluorescent tubes, if you use them a lot the starter goes and that can cause the tubes to blow. With the LED you will not have that problem.

Actually when a LED is rated for 50,000 hours this means it'll last this long when turned on and never turned off. Switching LEDs on and off will reduce its lifespan.
    Yesterday myself and my brother wired 4 column round roof shed which will house lambing ewes for d auld lad. Existing lighting was of a sub standard so we put up a 5' twin fluorescent corrosion proof fitting per column up on the centre timber and den at 1 end of the shed up high we put a 40w LED floodlight which will b used as a nightlight great light off it.

Also I believe every 2 to 3 years tubes and starters should be changed and the covers cleaned every year before stock goes in.

Bscan86 wrote: »
    Actually when a LED is rated for 50,000 hours this means it'll last this long when turned on and never turned off. Switching LEDs on and off will reduce its lifespan.
    Yesterday myself and my brother wired 4 column round roof shed which will house lambing ewes for d auld lad. Existing lighting was of a sub standard so we put up a 5' twin fluorescent corrosion proof fitting per column up on the centre timber and den at 1 end of the shed up high we put a 40w LED floodlight which will b used as a nightlight great light off it.

Also I believe every 2 to 3 years tubes and starters should be changed and the covers cleaned every year before stock goes in.

Surly it would be more economical to put in LED tube's at the start rather than changing fluorescent tubes every couple of years. My electrician told me it does not make any difference to the lifespan of the LED light how many times you switch it on and off

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bscan86

vinne wrote:
    Surly it would be more economical to put in LED tube's at the start rather than changing fluorescent tubes every couple of years. My electrician told me it does not make any difference to the lifespan of the LED light how many times you switch it on and off

This was told to me by a sales rep who sells both.
    Honestly even though I put up a LED floodlight I often think we're still a ways off getting LEDs perfected. For reliability on a farmyard I think it's very hard to look past fluorescent and metal halides.

Bscan86 wrote: »
    This was told to me by a sales rep who sells both.
    Honestly even though I put up a LED floodlight I often think we're still a ways off getting LEDs perfected. For reliability on a farmyard I think it's very hard to look past fluorescent and metal halides.

I think fluorescent , metal halides and halogen are a thing of the past I've changed over to LED and I'm more than happy with the lights

Which are the best LED lights, those with the single yellow square in the middle or with the lines of LEDS inside the lense? IYKWIM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Muckit wrote: »
    Which are the best LED lights, those with the single yellow square in the middle or with the lines of LEDS inside the lense? IYKWIM

I think it's the one with the small lad in the middle that are better

Advertisement