Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sticks it to six.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Kovu wrote: »
    Oh it's the same one I was thinking of, only knew Garadice, not the townland. Did he have a farm in Kildare as well? Or maybe I'm mixing him up with another man of the same name.

Same guy, both farms were shown in last weeks journal.
    One hell of a top farmer & a very nice man, real privilege to of met him.
    Can see a good price there as a few massive operators close by, also potential for outsider as good house, great sheds & excellent land (argue Meath quality) in a 1 block roadside farm.
    Kovu, don't tell me you're a "willie"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Oh it's the same one I was thinking of, only knew Garadice, not the townland. Did he have a farm in Kildare as well? Or maybe I'm mixing him up with another man of the same name.

Don't know , I only saw the ad . Wonder what kinda money it will go though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Farrell wrote: »
    Same guy, both farms were shown in last weeks journal.
    One hell of a top farmer & a very nice man, real privilege to of met him.
    Can see a good price there as a few massive operators close by, also potential for outsider as good house, great sheds & excellent land (argue Meath quality) in a 1 block roadside farm.
    Kovu, don't tell me you're a "willie"

I'm a what now?? :eek::eek:

Ah he was an absolute gentleman, real nice soft spoken man, never heard him say a cross word to both people and animal.
    I hadn't heard he'd passed away until I seen the ad in the Journal.

Ah he was an absolute gentleman, real nice soft spoken man, never heard him say a cross word to both people and animal.
    I hadn't heard, he'd passed away until I seen the ad in the Journal.

He'd be in marts all over the country, only buy a good one & knew when to keep his hands in his pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I hadn't heard he'd passed away until I seen the ad in the Journal.

Was a great laugh for tourist friends visiting last year. All those roadside placards bearing the legend "Up the Willies"! :D

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Was a great laugh for tourist friends visiting last year. All those roadside placards bearing the legend "Up the Willies"! :D
    They're passionate on their football alright

He'd be in marts all over the country, only buy a good one & knew when to keep his hands in his pocket.

Big fan of the orange ch if I remember correctly!

I'm going to need some explanation here as i am not googling to find out what a 'willie' is :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Let my 5 bucket fed lmx calves out yesterday. There fairly miserable looking today. Only saving grace is that it is not cold yet!! Hopefully we have a few more next year, using hca and zag (hopefully more zag than hca)

I'm going to need some explanation here as i am not googling to find out what a 'willie' is :pac:

Generally yes, but there was no racism, any colour would do once CH. Even saw LM & SM too!

You're from Leitrim & don't know Aughawillan?
    Sure Flanagan was big thing years ago when he decked John Maughan in the Connaught championship (priceless)

I hadn't a clue what you were one about! If you'd said a townland that would have helped. I'm not a GAA fan so that's my excuse.

And I am most certainly not a willie! :D

• Advertisement

https://m.facebook.com/aughawillangaa

I hadn't a clue what you were one about! If you'd said a townland that would have helped. I'm not a GAA fan so that's my excuse.

And I am most certainly not a willie! :D
    The fact you entertained googling - funny
    Ah something to cheer us on a wet day

The fact you entertained googling - funny
    Ah something to cheer us on a wet day

Hahaha *googles* ''What is a willie in Leitrim''

latest?cb=20120504181346

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Is it safe to mention water charges????....all this referendum stuff at moment is a godsend for Gov as the water fiasco is gone off the news...one could almost suggest nice timing!!!!!!

While some won't or don't want to pay, what about those of us who are paying double?....my supply was from a Group scheme but for over a year now, it has been taken over totally by the Co Council (via Celtic Anglian Water), but I have been billed and paying since 2006.

I had my regular bill from Galway Co Co/Celtic Anglian for Jan to March 2015 to cover 2 metered connections - one domestic + farm and one land only. I then received a bill (flat rate) from Irish Water for Jan - Mar for the same two connections as well!

A call to Ir W so-called "Helpline" just proved what I expected - they haven't a clue...the poor girl and the supervisor she consulted came up with a vague mumble of a non-answer, including that both bills were separate organisations....I pointed out that on top of Celtic Anglian bill it states - quote..." (it) is acting as an agent of Ir W in relation to the invoicing and collection of payments for the services provided by Ir W as described in this invoice", ie the same supply! No response to that so to put her out of her misery I asked for someone higher up...I was promised a call-back ...still waiting.Why do they inflict this lack of training /information on their staff?

I thought that Ir W were perhaps charging for the 'allowance' part of the C A bill but the allowance doesn't apply to the land only connection.

Anybody out there got similar situation or suggestions (within law...!).....hell of a lot more important than the fuss about referendum on electing baby Presidents!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

35x wrote: »
    Is it safe to mention water charges????....all this referendum stuff at moment is a godsend for Gov as the water fiasco is gone off the news...one could almost suggest nice timing!!!!!!

While some won't or don't want to pay, what about those of us who are paying double?....my supply was from a Group scheme but for over a year now, it has been taken over totally by the Co Council (via Celtic Anglian Water), but I have been billed and paying since 2006.

I had my regular bill from Galway Co Co/Celtic Anglian for Jan to March 2015 to cover 2 metered connections - one domestic + farm and one land only. I then received a bill (flat rate) from Irish Water for Jan - Mar for the same two connections as well!

A call to Ir W so-called "Helpline" just proved what I expected - they haven't a clue...the poor girl and the supervisor she consulted came up with a vague mumble of a non-answer, including that both bills were separate organisations....I pointed out that on top of Celtic Anglian bill it states - quote..." (it) is acting as an agent of Ir W in relation to the invoicing and collection of payments for the services provided by Ir W as described in this invoice", ie the same supply! No response to that so to put her out of her misery I asked for someone higher up...I was promised a call-back ...still waiting.Why do they inflict this lack of training /information on their staff?

I thought that Ir W were perhaps charging for the 'allowance' part of the C A bill but the allowance doesn't apply to the land only connection.

Anybody out there got similar situation or suggestions (within law...!).....hell of a lot more important than the fuss about referendum on electing baby Presidents!!!

Just pay one of them, obviously keep all bills and receipts, it will sort itself out in time, and by paying one your keeping on the right side of the law..

Wait until they come to you about the unpaid one and you will have all paperwork to sort it out.. Its easier to wait for them to come to you than wreck your head making call after call, "no point in paying a dog and barking yourself"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Suckler

_Brian wrote: »
    Just pay one of them, obviously keep all bills and receipts, it will sort itself out in time, and by paying one your keeping on the right side of the law..

Wait until they come to you about the unpaid one and you will have all paperwork to sort it out.. Its easier to wait for them to come to you than wreck your head making call after call, "no point in paying a dog and barking yourself"

I'd go a bit further; send registered letters notifying them that you are paying one bill only. It's good back up when they come collecting and it puts the onus back on them to sort it.

What the actual fúck :mad:
    There are some sick people out there.
    POLICE IN ARMAGH are investigating after a number of lambs died following an attack near the Battleford Road.
    The animals suffered heart attacks after their right ears were cut off in an incident at the weekend.
    In a post on their Facebook page, the PSNI in Armagh appealed for information and said they have increased patrols in the area.
    Anyone with information into this act of animal cruelty has been asked to call the emergency number 101, quoting the reference number 1323 9/5/15.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/lambs-ears-cut-off-2095724-May2015/?utm_source=facebook_short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

been a strange day for little animals between that and that animal rights crowd robbing lobsters

ganmo wrote: »
    been a strange day for little animals between that and that animal rights crowd robbing lobsters

Would those lobsters not have died? They left them in about a couple inches of water...See here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

What? I was in a fish shop this morning an noticed the tank was empty:eek:

• Advertisement

What? I was in a fish shop this morning an noticed the tank was empty:eek:

https://www.facebook.com/NARAcampaignsIRELAND?fref=ts

Never had lobster, must sort that soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Tasty but expensive

Thanks for that. A poorly thought out plan. Who knows where the lobster originated from. Likely native but who knows? So they could be releasing an alien invasive, or disease. And the survival rate of the released lobsters imo would be pitiful.

I see that organisation have purchased an "animal protection" drone.
    Great idea for disreputable puppy farms and illegal abattoirs etc, but if it comes within 60 yards of my house or yard, contact could be lost........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I see that organisation have purchased an "animal protection" drone.
    Great idea for disreputable puppy farms and illegal abattoirs etc, but if it comes within 60 yards of my house or yard, contact could be lost........

Will there be consequences for shooting a drone on your own land I wonder ?
    Will they easily tracked after one was shot down ?

Gave out fcuk to a group of them one day back when I was in college in Dublin. It was just after the mink in Donegal had been released. I went off on a rant about how they weren't native and were either going to die starving in a ditch somewhere or learn how to adapt and breed, thus harming native wildlife and causing environmental damage in the area for years to come. A good few of them seemed to just be part of it for the image that goes along with it, they didn't even have a bloody clue that mink weren't native.
    Ffs, how can you argue with people like that....

I find a hurly(with lots of pointy bits) works wonders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Gave out fcuk to a group of them one day back when I was in college in Dublin. It was just after the mink in Donegal had been released. I went off on a rant about how they weren't native and were either going to die starving in a ditch somewhere or learn how to adapt and breed, thus harming native wildlife and causing environmental damage in the area for years to come. A good few of them seemed to just be part of it for the image that goes along with it, they didn't even have a bloody clue that mink weren't native.

You shpuld try being pro hunting on twitter!! Ive hunted, shot & fished all my life... They have no basis of an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Bullocks wrote: »

Remember, they all have cameras, likely to have a live feed so will see/record you shooting it and that recording won't be in the drone.

I'd take the Grandpa Simpson approach all the same "I never thought I could shoot down a German plane. But last year....."

• Advertisement

Remember, they all have cameras, likely to have a live feed so will see/record you shooting it and that recording won't be in the drone.

I'd take the Grandpa Simpson approach all the same "I never thought I could shoot down a German plane. But last year....."

I was aiming for the pigeon that was roosting on it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,825 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Bullocks wrote: »
    had a lad here a few months ago he lost his drone, had a vague idea where it was, he was offering a reward, he thought it might be up our fields somewhere, never heard any more from him

Have to say the drone thing looks like bit of fun and if it had any decent recording equipment it would be an interesting view of your own farm..

Oh, and I think the recording is on the drone, on basic one's anyway.

Saw this car the other day

fine lookin blonde driving it too ;)

reg ORG 69 ....

Here's my bit on Drones............. There was talk of gettin them in work, infact there was one on trial. But my understanding of the situation is that the legislation has changed and a pilots lic is required to fly a drone over a particular weight. I'm told if there's a camera on board, the drone will be over this weight. So this has tightened up big time on they're use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭davidk1394

The thoughts of going fencing now !

any idea how to stop birds-the flying kind- from hitting off house windows, they keep setting off my parents house alarm, frightening the bejaysus out of them in the early morning, was 4.30 am yesterday and 5.320 am this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ameila

whelan2 wrote: »
    any idea how to stop birds-the flying kind- from hitting off house windows, they keep setting off my parents house alarm, frightening the bejaysus out of them in the early morning, was 4.30 am yesterday and 5.320 am this morning

Maybe some dangly type things !?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Put a sticker on the window,we used to have this problem with kamikazie black birds!

they put a picture on 2 of the windows and feckers are still hitting off one of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

davidk1394 wrote: »
    The thoughts of going fencing now !

It's not so bad once you get at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Last year for about three weeks I had a fcuker of a blackbird that would peck at the glass panel beside the back door and as are bedrooms are downstairs the frigger would wake me about half four, i'd go out and chase him away and then five minutes later he'd re-appear at the front door and peck at the glass panel there. Every morning for three weeks this pantomime went on...:rolleyes:

Last year for about three weeks I had a fcuker of a blackbird that would peck at the glass panel beside the back door and as are bedrooms are downstairs the frigger would wake me about half four, i'd go out and chase him away and then five minutes later he'd re-appear at the front door and peck at the glass panel there. Every morning for three weeks this pantomime went on...:rolleyes:
    they had the alarm crowd out last week, they said nearly all the calls they are getting are due to birds. Parents also had a bird that would crap on the patio door every day, my mother was going mad, my dad set a rat trap and it caught the bird's tail feathers , it never came back:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

What the actual fúck :mad:
    There are some sick people out there.

Quote:
    POLICE IN ARMAGH are investigating after a number of lambs died following an attack near the Battleford Road.
    The animals suffered heart attacks after their right ears were cut off in an incident at the weekend.
    In a post on their Facebook page, the PSNI in Armagh appealed for information and said they have increased patrols in the area.
    Anyone with information into this act of animal cruelty has been asked to call the emergency number 101, quoting the reference number 1323 9/5/15.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/lambs-ears-...facebook_short

another attack

Latest News / Ewes and lambs bludgeoned to death in West Wicklow
    garda
    Ewes and lambs bludgeoned to death in West Wicklow
    Posted by: WicklowNews.net in Latest News May 5, 2015

Gardai in Blessington are investigating the death of 5 ewes and 12 lambs that were bludgeoned to death close to the village of Hollywood.
    The animals were struck in the head with what was described as a heavy blunt instrument.
    The dead ewes were left where they died but the lambs were taken from the field and dumped in a number of gardens in the area.
    Gardai are appealing to anyone who may have information to the incident which took place 10 days ago to call Blessington Garda station at (045) 865 202

orm0nd wrote: »
    Quote:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/lambs-ears-...facebook_short

another attack

Latest News / Ewes and lambs bludgeoned to death in West Wicklow
    garda
    Ewes and lambs bludgeoned to death in West Wicklow
    Posted by: WicklowNews.net in Latest News May 5, 2015

Gardai in Blessington are investigating the death of 5 ewes and 12 lambs that were bludgeoned to death close to the village of Hollywood.
    The animals were struck in the head with what was described as a heavy blunt instrument.
    The dead ewes were left where they died but the lambs were taken from the field and dumped in a number of gardens in the area.
    Gardai are appealing to anyone who may have information to the incident which took place 10 days ago to call Blessington Garda station at (045) 865 202

Its beyond words and explanation how these cowards can do this.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Anyone heading up to balmoral show? Hoping to head up tomorrow as it's looking the best day weather wise.

C0N0R wrote: »
    Anyone heading up to balmoral show? Hoping to head up tomorrow as it's looking the best day weather wise.

Nope.. I'll keep my kitchen pass for the Ploughing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

_Brian wrote: »
    Nope.. I'll keep my kitchen pass for the Ploughing

It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask permission!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask permission!

Amen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Going on Thursday - first year I don't have to man a stand at it so the wife and kids are coming too. It's her first time and i can't say i'm looking forward to nipping the heels off folk with a double buggy and trying to keep the young fella off the tractors.
    I think he's got a worse heavy metal disease than Reggie!!:eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement