Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk quota Glanbia

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

keep going wrote: »
    Without wanting to brush anything under the carpet or anything why has this become news now, I was aware of it 18 months ago.i suspect it has to do with some political rangli g or position ing and there is always an agenda behind it

It came up in the dail during the week and the minister announced that he decided not to take any further action

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭johnny122

Same old story lads big guys get away with it and the little guy pays, nothing surprising there . The only way it will ever change is if everyone else pulls together to change it but that will never happen either.

If justice was to be served here they should all be brought before the courts and shown no leniency. N that director should be struck off n never again allowed to supply a drop of milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

johnny122 wrote: »
    Same old story lads big guys get away with it and the little guy pays, nothing surprising there . The only way it will ever change is if everyone else pulls together to change it but that will never happen either.

If justice was to be served here they should all be brought before the courts and shown no leniency. N that director should be struck off n never again allowed to supply a drop of milk.

Now that you're back on line, could you clarify your comment about me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Jes lads he didnt kill anyone! Think this country is becoming too pc for my liking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Jes lads he didnt kill anyone! Think this country is becoming too pc for my liking

500k litres is alot more than a lot of people's quotas. Does he have to pay 28 cpl on the whole lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

kevthegaff wrote: »

Disagree Kev.
    If someone on the board of a publicly quoted company is party to fraud in any way, heads have to roll. End of. Wink and nod does not wash with international investors. It is beyond belief that he held onto his position AND those that should know what goes on at that level.
    It's gombeenism of the highest level - an embarrassment.
    Everyone that had anything to do with it has to go, and those whose responsibility it is to know. Lance the boil before it festers even more. This needs to be done immediately as a damage limitation maneuver. The whole affair casts a very dark shadow on business dealings in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Dawggone wrote: »
    Disagree Kev.
    If someone on the board of a publicly quoted company is party to fraud in any way, heads have to roll. End of. Wink and nod does not wash with international investors. It is beyond belief that he held onto his position AND those that should know what goes on at that level.
    Everyone that had anything to do with it has to go, and those whose responsibility it is to know. Lance the boil before it festers even more. This needs to be done immediately as a damage limitation maneuver. The whole affair casts a very dark shadow on business dealings in Ireland.

Honestly dawg I think you could over egg the "dark shadow" pudding a bit. I remember when the boom was as boomy as it got a radio report lamenting the fact that the iseq wasn't really tracking the growth in the economy. Fact was international money regarded the neds as an incestuous little group too tightly bound up with each other for real oversight to be taking place. Stories like this don't improve the perception but aren't really going to worsen things. I'd agree that heads should roll but it ain't gonna happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Honestly dawg I think you could over egg the "dark shadow" pudding a bit. I remember when the boom was as boomy as it got a radio report lamenting the fact that the iseq wasn't really tracking the growth in the economy. Fact was international money regarded the neds as an incestuous little group too tightly bound up with each other for real oversight to be taking place. Stories like this don't improve the perception but aren't really going to worsen things. I'd agree that heads should roll but it ain't gonna happen.

In fairness Free it's not about the few hundred thousand yo-yo's that an individual tried to defraud from Bruxelles.
    It's about perception. If you are an international investor you will run a million miles from any company that is not seen to be virtuos and diligent in its dealings.
    If the Chief State Solicitor decides that there is nothing to prosecute (and there certainly is!), that has no bearing on how a publicly listed company runs its business. This is NOT about parish pump gombeenism.
    It has been discussed on the floor of the Irish Parliament, Dáil Éireann, and is now a matter of public record. The carpet has been well and truly rolled back. Glanbia would like to be seen as a serious player in the food ingredients industry I'm sure, but with blatant fraud being accepted as a kind of juvenile prank that didn't come off...Inexcusable!

I may have exaggerated a little by saying that it casts a dark shadow over business dealings in Ireland, but it does cast a shadow over the way Glanbia does business. With the aspirations that Glanbia has, it should be seen to be squeaky clean.
    Who the feck is this man/woman anyhow that they are so important that their position is more important than sullying the name of the company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Fact was international money regarded the neds as an incestuous little group too tightly bound up with each other for real oversight to be taking place. Stories like this don't improve the perception but aren't really going to worsen things. I'd agree that heads should roll but it ain't gonna happen.

Shouldn't we be aiming a bit higher than that? Just for once?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

it's not about the few hundred thousand yo-yo's that an individual tried to defraud from Bruxelles.

Its nor Brussels who would have lost money here, it would have been every Glambia producer who was over quota. The Clongowes quota was unfilled and should have been temporally let or added to fleximilk and been divided out between the eligible Glanbia producers. It was in the end but only after the intervention of the authorities.

This also took a lot of time and effort if the milk was physically transfered, At least a hundred trips of over 100 miles both ways. thats over twenty thousand miles of driving.

kowtow wrote: »
    Shouldn't we be aiming a bit higher than that? Just for once?

Absolutely we should. My point was the perception of Irish plcs isn't great anyway. The best you could hope for is that this might become a turning point. Heads roll, new chairman gets the door because he was on the board when it happened, neds all replaced, Siobhans tenure at least greatly shortened. Farmers rear up properly and all farmer directors replaced. Should all of this happen, absolutely. Is it likely to? ............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Disagree Kev.

Is anyone surprised. Corruption endemic in this country.Former Taoiseagh, Government ministers, TDs, civil servants and business people. We accept it. We even reward it, reelecting crooked TDs. Actually the best thing a TD could do in this country is be caught with his hand in the cookie jar, guarantees election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Absolutely we should. My point was the perception of Irish plcs isn't great anyway. The best you could hope for is that this might become a turning point. Heads roll, new chairman gets the door because he was on the board when it happened, neds all replaced, Siobhans tenure at least greatly shortened. Farmers rear up properly and all farmer directors replaced. Should all of this happen, absolutely. Is it likely to? ............

Do we want to go that far? Pick his local milk manager and give him the boot at least then Glanbia will have been seen to have done something. My original suggestion I think would be the fairest, then glanbia's, dept of ag, clongowes reputation would be enchanced. This farmer's milk shouldn't be collected by glanbia anymore maybe arrabawn etc would in future. Every glanbia farmer in the country got letters, text messages about if they were caught moving milk during superlevy years that they wouldn't guarantee collection anymore and that they were putting the countries reputation at risk. The dept of ag also put out ads, warnings about reprecussions if caught doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

How about this then say nobody in glanbia loses their jobs. Say they've learnt their lesson. Increase the price of milk by 3 cent for the month of September and explain to every supplier the reason why their doing so. If they don't do that heads will roll. I'm giving Siobhan a way through this.:)

I finally got the name of the farmer in question from todays findo. My local board member and advisory committee member have been contacted. I have demanded they work to have him removed from the board and also that anyone who knew or should have known about the situation and did nothing follow him out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I finally got the name of the farmer in question from todays findo. My local board member and advisory committee member have been contacted. I have demanded they work to have him removed from the board and also that anyone who knew or should have known about the situation and did nothing follow him out.

Ah you surely knew who it was before now??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Would hope the only delay was to give him "due process" ... surely only a matter of time ?

Panch18 wrote: »
    Ah you surely knew who it was before now??

Not a clue and tbh unless I saw it on public record I'd be skeptical about the information and certainly wouldn't be demanding action on the basis of heresay. If you were so certain of the information why didn't you post it here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Piece in findo as well today and more that comes out worse it looks for Glanbia management and farmer himself .how the hell is he still a sitting bord member and receiving 35k for it ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

the problem they face is if he is removed, it was common knowledge there in it together, if he was guilty so was management should heads roll...yes

glad to c something proactive coming out of our boards who says this isnt the place

freedom im in ur area so we both know what was previously done to our local representative, he represented our views and as these werent shared by the board they had him removed (notice how easy he was removed where was his due process) but we wouldnt vote anyone else in, and had faith in our man, left us without a voice at a critical time, do u have faith ur issues will be given due respect, how many lines/people must it go through to reach the actual board?

• Advertisement

the problem they face is if he is removed, it was common knowledge there in it together, if he was guilty so was management should heads roll...yes

glad to c something proactive coming out of our boards who says this isnt the place

freedom im in ur area so we both know what was previously done to our local representative, he represented our views and as these werent shared by the board they had him removed (notice how easy he was removed where was his due process) but we wouldnt vote anyone else in, and had faith in our man, left us without a voice at a critical time, do u have faith ur issues will be given due respect, how many lines/people must it go through to reach the actual board?

News tomorrow apparently. That's as much as I know. I'd say there might be a certain amount schadenfreude on our mans part.

Advertisement