Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk quota Glanbia

• 10-06-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

When the board member resigns for moving quota milk will the chairman have to resign as wel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Its Ireland we are in, not some country where even the rich/high up are held accountable when they break the rules, it will all be swept under the carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

milkprofit wrote: »
    When the board member resigns for moving quota milk will the chairman have to resign as wel

Why would the chairman need to resign? As a PLC the less turbulence the better.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Its Ireland we are in, not some country where even the rich/high up are held accountable when they break the rules, it will all be swept under the carpet.

The quicker it's dealt with the better and if sweeping under the carpet is necessary all the better. The less jumping up and down the better on this issue. Investors are a very sensitive species

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

The quicker it's dealt with the better and if sweeping under the carpet is necessary all the better. The less jumping up and down the better on this issue. Investors are a very sensitive species

would you really agree with sweeping these things under carpet, we are investors as well as suppliers. if this is happening/allowed happen what else are these lads at.

the more jumping up and down investors do the better companies get run

if croneys on board they should be removed. manipulating and abuse of power by directors make a mockery of the plc/gii how are international investors to view company al ready. Can he be individually sued under companies act?

would we be better of appointing representatives to the board as a suppliers group instead of the untrained farmers (to date) who only had their own personal interests at heart and not of that of the members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Wow - its no wonder this country is such a bloody mess

• Advertisement

Was intresting that he seems to be getting away with only being fined on the clongowes milk was reading up on the penelties for messing around like this and by my reckoning he should also be paying a superlevy on all his owned quota which is the fine as stated in the regulations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Agree that lads shouldn't get away with this. Not fair that lads can bend the rules and every other farmer have to live by them. He should pay full whack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Agree this issue needs careful management and some good PR but no way should they get away with it. It makes a total mockery of the rules for everyone and what is the point of them if guys in influential positions can do what they like??? Typical small island politics as usual

Agree this issue needs careful management and some good PR but no way should they get away with it. It makes a total mockery of the rules for everyone and what is the point of them if guys in influential positions can do what they like??? Typical small island politics as usual
    On re reading my post it does read as I want it covered up.

I dont, deal with individuals and put a lid on it would be my view. There's no need to make an issue of it.

Panch18 wrote: »
    Wow - its no wonder this country is such a bloody mess

It's funny watching you jumping up and down though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

On re reading my post it does read as I want it covered up.

I dont, deal with individuals and put a lid on it would be my view. There's no need to make an issue of it.

Yep just like the banks and insurance ignore Governance and regulation
    "I am on the board i can do what i like"
    The little lad will pay

Yep just like the banks and insurance ignore Governance and regulation
    "I am on the board i can do what i like"
    The little lad will pay

And making an issue of it will achieve what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

And making an issue of it will achieve what exactly?

... Same a when anyone is repremanded for doing something outside the rules... Discourage it from happening again.

We're investors in this, if you had a manager on the farm and you found out he was bending/braking rules would you just sweep it under the carpet or take action against him

... Same a when anyone is repremanded for doing something outside the rules... Discourage it from happening again.

We're investors in this, if you had a manager on the farm and you found out he was bending/braking rules would you just sweep it under the carpet or take action against him
    If it was to my advantage, what do you think I'd do? I'm not saying "no action" rather appropriate action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

It's funny watching you jumping up and down though

I hate this attitude, which your posts in this thread seem to convey - namely keep this all quite - nothing to see here, move along. It's typical small time Irish mentality and it drives me nuts.

Always looking for ways to bend/break the rules and not wanting to face up to the personal consequences of actions. Sweep everything under that massive carpet this country seems to have

As I said it's the main reason the country is in the mess it is - not just economically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

:rolleyes:Shh that milk was only resting in his tank.

Panch18 wrote: »

I hate this attitude, which your posts in this thread seem to convey - namely keep this all quite - nothing to see here, move along. It's typical small time Irish mentality and it drives me nuts.

Always looking for ways to bend/break the rules and not wanting to face up to the personal consequences of actions. Sweep everything under that massive carpet this country seems to have

As I said it's the main reason the country is in the mess it is - not just economically

Firstly my posts in most threads seem to annoy you.

Look kicking the middle bord out if the table in this issue will do a lot more harm than good. All I'm saying is deal with it and put a lid in it.

Comparing it to the state of the nation is a little extreme in my view.

"quota anomalies" is what they called it
    hope not to see anomalies in any other parts of the business
    whistleblowers are out in force these days shows a change in attitudes of people

"quota anomalies" is what they called it
    hope not to see anomalies in any other parts of the business
    whistleblowers are out in force these days shows a change in attitudes of people

Yea, we're turning into a crowd of Germans!!! Well some are anyway

no plan to make a change to the directors
    am i the only one shocked at this?
    is he not one of our representative to the board to oversee management effectively running company, surely management knew what was goin on, did they just sweep it under carpet?..... any accountability there...solid start to newly formed company
    And where is the coop on this .. not a word.. is it fit for purpose??

think well hav to run our own sustainability scheme see if business model is sustainable the way they are carrying on

• Advertisement

Latest news council member not allowed fre trip to USA plant because he did not sign(volunteer ) contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Latest news council member not allowed fre trip to USA plant because he did not sign(volunteer ) contract

I had just stepped off a plane from an FBD sponsored trip to Italy on the night I won the Zurich sheep farmer of the year.......I wonder would I have got to go if I won Zurich sheep farmer of the year the week before

its never good new being reported with them
    how much is spent on these trips for council members, wonder do they learn anything or is it just a nice grease down? is there another vote coming up
    window seats goes to highest solids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

i need a holiday can i go instead:D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭knockmulliner

Quota laws and penalties are like penalty points only for the people? ??

whelan2 wrote: »
    i need a holiday can i go instead:D

U can travel if u become a yes lady
    And enjoy the free bar on the trip

bumping this up for Dawgsgone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

I just read through this thread and I remember seeing it at the time. I obviously didn't know the facts at the time. But WTF?
    Atlantic mist says it all...
    Frazz, seeing that it is now a matter of record in Dáil Éireann do you have anything to say on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

God everyone is fierce quite on this. Firstly has no one mentioned that the minister for agriculture's brother has a top job in glanbia. Secondly that the farmer involved was a board member in Glanbia. Thirdly how many officials in government went to clongowes. I couldn't care less about saying anything, pity more people won't do the same. As I said everyone knows everyone and they don't want to rock the boat. I don't expect to get many thanks for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    God everyone is fierce quite on this. Firstly has no one mentioned that the minister for agriculture's brother has a top job in glanbia. Secondly that the farmer involved was a board member in Glanbia. Thirdly how many officials in government went to clongowes. I couldn't care less about saying anything, pity more people won't do the same. As I said everyone knows everyone and they don't want to rock the boat. I don't expect to get many thanks for this.
    Isn't it Greencore that Patrick Coveney is boss of?

Isn't it Greencore that Patrick Coveney is boss of?

Yous'd to be maybe still is but he works for Glanbia now. He's a non execitive director in Glanbia. I couldn't care less about him, but the whole thing stinks. How the hell no reprecussions come of this is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭johnny122

Dawggone wrote: »
    I just read through this thread and I remember seeing it at the time. I obviously didn't know the facts at the time. But WTF?
    Frazz, seeing that it is now a matter of record in Dáil Éireann do you have anything to say on this?

Frazz. Will keep his nose clean on this one!

What should happen here is Glanbia shouldn't collect any more milk from this farmer if was a 60 acre farmer that is what would be done. Then Glanbia should fire the manager involved for organising this. Clongowes board of management should let their farm manager go who organised this. The dept of ag should stop the farmers sfp until further notice. At least then some credibility will come back into this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    What should happen here is Glanbia shouldn't collect any more milk from this farmer if was a 60 acre farmer that is what would be done. Then Glanbia should fire the manager involved for organising this. Clongowes board of management should let their farm manager go who organised this. The dept of ag should stop the farmers sfp until further notice. At least then some credibility will come back into this situation.

Do Clongowes have a herd anymore. Thought herd went a couple of years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Unfortunately I had to talk to a Barrister yesterday. But after my own business with him was concluded, we ventured onto the Glanbia/Quota/ milk transfer saga.

What it boiled down in his eyes was - fraud was being committed in the eyes of the law. And the 2 parties to gain from the fraud should be charged. The fact that the fraud was found out and no financial gain was allowed because it was found out in time is of no bearing.
    He concluded that nothing will happen because of 3 things
    1. Political influence
    2. The law is an ass
    3. Money and barristers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

I have to say some of the comments on this thread are shocking.

Far from being conducive to international investment, it's my experience that this kind of behaviour - and perhaps even more so the way it is swept under the carpet - is anathema to institutions. I've been involved with funds investing in many many countries around the world and whenever we have stumbled across this kind of "nod and a wink" carry on we have stamped on it immediately. Heads have always rolled, including those that weren't directly involved but should have known. Where local management, no matter how charming, are willing to prefer themselves and cover it up it's usually not long before they get round to shafting the shareholders.

I'd be terminating the directors contract on 30 days notice and re-assigning him to the milk lorry for those 30 days so that he had an opportunity to apologise directly to each of his fellow supplier / investors directly.

I have a lot of questions on this matter. I intend asking them but they'll be asked where the answers can be gotten. I don't this is the place.

johnny122 wrote: »

What exactly do you mean?

johnny122 wrote: »

What exactly do you mean?

I have a lot of questions on this matter. I intend asking them but they'll be asked where the answers can be gotten. I don't this is the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

If its the truth he shouldnt be on the board.

Other than that whats to be gained from pursuing it other than negative publicity.

The fine was paid and the iregularities corrected.

(It wasnt as if there was anything wrong with the milk )

kowtow wrote: »
    I have to say some of the comments on this thread are shocking.

Far from being conducive to international investment, it's my experience that this kind of behaviour - and perhaps even more so the way it is swept under the carpet - is anathema to institutions. I've been involved with funds investing in many many countries around the world and whenever we have stumbled across this kind of "nod and a wink" carry on we have stamped on it immediately. Heads have always rolled, including those that weren't directly involved but should have known. Where local management, no matter how charming, are willing to prefer themselves and cover it up it's usually not long before they get round to shafting the shareholders.

I'd be terminating the directors contract on 30 days notice and re-assigning him to the milk lorry for those 30 days so that he had an opportunity to apologise directly to each of his fellow supplier / investors directly.

+1000.
    I find the whole issue totally shocking.
    Heads have to roll. This is from the board, not some outside little branch!

For the integrity of the company and for future investors, the boil will have to be lanced - completely.

I will give the benefit to posters on this thread from a year ago not being fully aware of the facts at that time.

Were you aware of the facts of this fraud last year Frazz?

mf240 wrote: »

Other than that whats to be gained from pursuing it other than negative publicity.

Fraud from a member of the board of a PLC?

Fraud is one of the few crimes that doesn't have a statute of limitations.
    I live in a country now where the cops call to your door for bouncing a cheque for €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mf240 wrote: »

A number of individuals and a company apparently conspired to allocate milk supply from one farmer to another, contrary to all the rules and regulations of which we are all fully aware of.

Nobody gets punished for this act.

Why is there no criminal proceedings when it appears that a fraud was committed, facilitated by a reputable educational institution and a seemingly large number of individuals in a publically quoted company?

How are these individuals even continuing in employment in this company?

The question that springs straight away to my mind is what other facilities are available to select individuals to undermine the rules and regulations that the majority of farmers have to conform to.

Is this a single instance or is there further irregularities to be found if a wide ranging investigation was instituted?

Jeeze, I could go on, MF, but I think you can catch the drift of my unease at the apparent lack of due process in the investigation of this incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Fraud from a member of the board of a PLC?

I live in a country now where the cops call to your door for bouncing a cheque for €50.

I'd forgotten that about France.

Mind you, I don't think the cops here even take cheques. It's all cash still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

lol !

Lol.
    You just got me choking on coffee!

directors under the irish companies act have a duty to act honestly in all their business dealings.....surprised he wasnt removed as a director...has the ODCE questioned him yet? the state solicitor only worried if the irish or eu exchequer not paid, which they were so no case. ODCE deal primarily in corporate directors.

the most disappointing thing was the undermining of our supply chain and it was under the new organisation, the integrity of the system/supply chain and management team has to be questioned what else are they doing that could be potentially costing us money?

we had a super levy same year, we could have moved milk round like the 80's and reduced/avoided plenty of lads under...we dont live in that era anymore were building an image of complete tractability from farm for fork anyone who tries to undermine that has no place at the table, pity our directors dont have the correct ethical attitudes in approaching business,the fine will have been factored production costing just like us so he is not out of pocket and got away scott free but the financial benefit was huge, im afraid thats simply not what a director should be doing, need to add that into induction for new directors:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Without wanting to brush anything under the carpet or anything why has this become news now, I was aware of it 18 months ago.i suspect it has to do with some political rangli g or position ing and there is always an agenda behind it

• Advertisement
Advertisement