Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheltenham Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Just out of curiosity, do people not accept that the horse finishing lame as a mitigating factor for PP’s poor performance or do they even blame Pat Kelly for the injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Just out of curiosity, do people not accept that the horse finishing lame as a mitigating factor for PP’s poor performance or do they even blame Pat Kelly for the injury?

The horse wasnt prepared correctly fpr the race. QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Real Curiosity for me was/is footpad
    what they hell has happened the most exciting novice chaser of 2018
    Very disappointing, altho the form line of the arkle 2018 has fallen apart

On a personal level I was delighted with how Faugheen ran
    At his age he ran a great race and we could ask no more of him

I'd say Tizz is spitting re Elixr. When you look who came 2nd and 3rd in the supreme, the form lines all pointed towards Da Nutz running well

Best buzz on a personal level was watching 2 horses i backed at big prices earlier in the year come in at fav prices ie Defi and Hazel Hill
    Had both at 10/1 in singles
    That's not aftertiming as i have said this on here many times re both

Another personal fav moment was watching my auld lad, a fella who would split a fiver between 5 horses, go mad and throw a score on Dallas in the last!!
    Shame how that worked out !!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

Punting review
    Tough week all round but losses were not as much as could have been.
    my 3 biggest backed horses of the week were Delta work / bevair dair and sir eric! fairly disastrous ans sad considering what happened sir eric.

will definitely lay off the antepost next year until NRNB. Have lovely looking dockets leading up to 2 weeks before the festival but just a mugs game really as it hands too much advantage to the bookies. think only 2 out of 20 bets came in, in total.

Agree with all the bryony stick being given out here, ITV are nauseating. Geraghty didnt get a look in after 2 great rides once bryony came in.
    Thought paisly park was the performance of the meeting, nothing went right and still switched into top gear and the turn of foot was unbelievable.

Just playing devils dick advocatte here for a second if I may,
    I am no fan of the Bryony love in, but....

Cheltenham for years has been "owned" by Irish stories and stables
    The RR team, the Fly, Elliotts brigade, even Irish "tragedies" like Annie

The Brits dont get too many big stories to sell to their public. Sprinter was one and they went to town on it, understandably. Cue Card was almost another

Of late even the big British success stories have Irish influence, ie - Denman being an Irish horse, Kauto having an Irish jockey, BVD being Irish owned etc

Bryony is a British story, a british trainer, a british jockey, a british owner. It's their moment.
    Bryony being female also helps, and why shouldn't it.....

In time, Blackmore will be the greatest female NH jockey we have seen, she is diff class, but the Brits are owning the moment with Bryony, and maybe we should let them......

(I may, or may not actually agree with what I just said!!)

• Advertisement

Just playing devils dick advocatte here for a second if I may,
    I am no fan of the Bryony love in, but....

Cheltenham for years has been "owned" by Irish stories and stables
    The RR team, the Fly, Elliotts brigade, even Irish "tragedies" like Annie

The Brits dont get too many big stories to sell to their public. Sprinter was one and they went to town on it, understandably. Cue Card was almost another

Of late even the big British success stories have Irish influence, ie - Denman being an Irish horse, Kauto having an Irish jockey, BVD being Irish owned etc

Bryony is a British story, a british trainer, a british jockey, a british owner. It's their moment.
    Bryony being female also helps, and why shouldn't it.....

In time, Blackmore will be the greatest female NH jockey we have seen, she is diff class, but the Brits are owning the moment with Bryony, and maybe we should let them......

(I may, or may not actually agree with what I just said!!)

Well said, in fairness. I agree with it anyway. I’m already inclined to think Blackmore is the greatest female jump jockey we’ve seen (what’s the competition anyway?) She’s pretty much made the gender distinction redundant, there never ever was any reason females couldn’t be as accomplished riders as males, given the opportunities, and the next few years will prove it beyond doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

The Byrmoany crew are now neck and neck with Byrony in the annoying people race!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

It's obvious why ITV are bigging her up. She has a huge personality and her post race winning interviews have the ability to transcend the sport. I'm a huge fan of Blackmore as a jockey but let's be honest, her interviews don't really verge past 'sure I'm delighted, can't believe it'. I find Frost's interview a bit cringe personally but if I didn't follow racing and heard her after she won the Ryanair, I'd be like 'wow, what's this all about? This is not something you ever hear from a sportsperson let alone a jockey'. People who don't follow racing probably see all jockeys like Ruby, just grumpy and only interested in winning but a bubbly female who shows such appreciation for her horse certainly breaks the stereotype.

fwiw I agree.

Her interview following the win on Frodon was charming, summed up the joy of racing and probably did more for the image of horse racing amongst the general public than any amount of whip bans and other arcane arguments we could have.

"Just look at what he's just done there. Tell me, deny me that he doesn't love racing. He's unbelievable. I love you, mate."

People see someone who obviously loves their horse and obviously believes the horse loves to run. Far better that than another monosyllabic man saying "yeah he's a good horse, we're delighted etc".

Wrt the ITV love-in I just tune out so I don't care.

It's obvious why ITV are bigging her up. She has a huge personality and her post race winning interviews have the ability to transcend the sport. I'm a huge fan of Blackmore as a jockey but let's be honest, her interviews don't really verge past 'sure I'm delighted, can't believe it'. I find Frost's interview a bit cringe personally but if I didn't follow racing and heard her after she won the Ryanair, I'd be like 'wow, what's this all about? This is not something you ever hear from a sportsperson let alone a jockey'. People who don't follow racing probably see all jockeys like Ruby, just grumpy and only interested in winning but a bubbly female who shows such appreciation for her horse certainly breaks the stereotype.

Yep agree with that

Still tho, for all I said above, when she started on about "Frody telling her to keep up" for the 10th time i wanted to throw my shoe at the telly

• Advertisement

Blackmore comes across to me as very much an old school type of jock, hard, taciturn and chronically superstitious. Remember her literally running away from Matt Chapman in the ring at Thurles last year after she’d won the first two races and Matt started banging on about the title and the two favs that were yet to come that day. Just took off, I’m outta here she said. Didn’t blame here. Think the next ride fell and didn’t win the one after either!

Yep agree with that

Still tho, for all I said above, when she started on about "Frody telling her to keep up" for the 10th time i wanted to throw my shoe at the telly

Yeah, I have to admit to cringing at her interviews a bit but that’s on me. I can appreciate her brilliant personality and her interviews for breaking the mould but ITV are directing it at the uninitiated, not the likes of you and I, the hardcore fans.

Blackmore comes across to me as very much an old school type of jock, hard, taciturn and chronically superstitious. Remember her literally running away from Matt Chapman in the ring at Thurles last year after she’d won the first two races and Matt started banging on about the title and the two favs that were yet to come that day. Just took off, I’m outta here she said. Didn’t blame here. Think the next ride fell and didn’t win the one after either!

I don’t think Blackmore wants the attention. She doesn’t need to say anything, what she is actually doing on the track is genuinely remarkable. Blackmore is the real trailblazer for all the attention Frost gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭jkbkhhho7t

frost winning the ryanair is nothing to shout about , monalee was poor , un de sceaux is 11 and footpad bled, all her competition left was aso who is useless

Footpad is becoming the new R2R
    Excuses for all his races
    Over reaches, losing a shoe, bled etc
    all genuine 100% but eventually the horse will become unbackable, which for a fan like i am, is desperate

I really hope does a Defi on it and returns to form after a bad year and doesn't do a yorkhill on it..........

I don’t think Blackmore wants the attention. She doesn’t need to say anything, what she is actually doing on the track is genuinely remarkable. Blackmore is the real trailblazer for all the attention Frost gets.

Bryony is a female jockey
    Blackmore is a jockey

If ya get me

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

Any jockey male or female has right to be praised for winning their first grade 1 at Cheltenham in open company. A great achievement regardless of the circumstances.
    Monalee ran to form by all accounts. Probably just not good enough. Aso was also placed the year UDS won the thing. And footpad has done sweet f*ck all in open company. So really the best horse on all known form(was the joint highest rated pre-race) probably won the race. Probably a perfect storm for them. But hardly Frodon's fault others faltered.

Yes, spot on. She is a top class rider, simple as that, but i would say she had a bit of luck in that if shark hadn’t pushed it and given her the opportunity, she probably would be nowhere near where she is now. That’s not a slight on her, because she deserves every success she’s getting. The likes of Bryony and Lizzie Kelly are finding it a bit more difficult to get opportunities outside their own patrons. I’m full of admiration for them because that is a tough route for a young girl to go down so, yes, while the coverage is ott, i think there are worse things to focus my ire on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Cant be down on bryony, slightly OTT after Ryanair but she's been great all year

Get a good visual image of the trendy glasses media producer types who have meetings on how to increase ratings and there's the problem...oh a woman....with personality....and talent......lets give this a billion hours of coverage and everything will think its great and add in some social media cack as well while yer at it just mention social media ad nauseum everyone loves that.......and champ....say champ repeatedly, I bet yer there's minutes from a meeting with those things listed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

RSA was class, which of 3 will improve to win GC next year? which of them would be suited to better ground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

RSA was class, which of 3 will improve to win GC next year? which of them would be suited to better ground?

Santini wins (obviously ha ha) the GC next year. Everything went against him prior to the RSA. Everything. He ran extremely well all things considered and a stronger jockey might have got him over the line. I don't think Nico suits him and its the only negative. But massive chance next year imo. Long way to go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

So Lavery won his appeal there I see

This need to balance the "achieve the best placing" rule with the welfare rule is going to be tricky. Will always be a matter of the stewards opinion on the day, how the stewards sitting up in the stands perceive a horse's fatigue level, bans will therefore always be appealworthy.

If they want to be honest/ consistent they should change the welfare rule to something like - a jockey shall not continue in a race where to do so would appear to be contrary to the horse's welfare.

Tony McCoy's argument that you always have to keep going if there is any chance of a placing, due to fallers ahead of you or whatever, wouldnt hold water in future inquiries based on this appeal decision anyway that much is clear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Slattsy wrote: »
    Santini wins (obviously ha ha) the GC next year. Everything went against him prior to the RSA. Everything. He ran extremely well all things considered and a stronger jockey might have got him over the line. I don't think Nico suits him and its the only negative. But massive chance next year imo. Long way to go though.

I think Topofthegame could turn out to be a top class horse. He’s massive and when he fills out and strengthens up next year he’s going to be an absolute beast. Harry Cobden will be another year older and another year wiser and this horse will be even better after a summer on the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Don’t like Santini, failed in Albert Bartlett 2017 too. Running out of excuses at Hq. Looks gorgeous but there’s something that I don’t trust about him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Top of the Game looks like a monster. Biggest chestnut I have seen since Weapon's Amnesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

City island champion hurdle bound anyone?

Blue Sari supreme or Neptune?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Top of the Game looks like a monster. Biggest chestnut I have seen since Weapon's Amnesty.

Such an unfortunate horse was Weapons. Loved his RSA win

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The King George next year is going to be some race if they all turn up. I hope the Altior waffle turns out to be true. Throw in Cyrname, TopoftheGame, Santini, A PlusTard , DucdeGenievre and of course Mall Dini and your in too a savage looking race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The King George next year is going to be some race if they all turn up. I hope the Altior waffle turns out to be true. Throw in Cyrname, TopoftheGame, Santini, A PlusTard , DucdeGenievre and of course Mall Dini and your in too a savage looking race.

The same Mall Dini that's failed to win a chase from 14 starts? Would really be the icing on the cake if he showed up....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Add in the 2 time Caspian Caviar Gold cup winner Frodon too and we have a stonker of a race

Advertisement