Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocked pipe/drain

Options
  • 11-03-2019 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The toilet in the upstairs en-suite runs straight to a pipe outside and it's getting blocked from time to time. It seems to be a build-up of toilet paper that's getting stuck at the elbow joint as the pipe goes into the ground.

Dynorod came out about 18 months ago and unblocked via applying pressure directly into the pipe as the drain's are not accessible due to the whole outside area being covered with bricks. :mad:

We do not know where most drain covers/man holes are because of the bricks covering them. I had a look into the neighbours and got some ideas, lifted some bricks but did not find a drain cover close to where the pipe runs into the ground.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how best i can locate the drains without lifting all the bricks in the outside area? The houses in the estate seem to have drain covers at inconsistent locations. Is there anything a plumber could do to locate them more easily ?

Thanks for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

grahamor wrote: »
    Hi,

The toilet in the upstairs en-suite runs straight to a pipe outside and it's getting blocked from time to time. It seems to be a build-up of toilet paper that's getting stuck at the elbow joint as the pipe goes into the ground.

Dynorod came out about 18 months ago and unblocked via applying pressure directly into the pipe as the drain's are not accessible due to the whole outside area being covered with bricks. :mad:

We do not know where most drain covers/man holes are because of the bricks covering them. I had a look into the neighbours and got some ideas, lifted some bricks but did not find a drain cover close to where the pipe runs into the ground.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how best i can locate the drains without lifting all the bricks in the outside area? The houses in the estate seem to have drain covers at inconsistent locations. Is there anything a plumber could do to locate them more easily ?

Thanks for any info

Can't help on locating drain. What I do wonder though is why the occasional blockage. Poo and toilet paper fall asunder - especially after a drop from height. Either reams of toilet paper are being used (woman-in-da-haus), indestructable wipes or kitchen roll. Or maybe its a two flush toilet and the No1. Flush is being used for a number 2?

Even if there is a snag point in the pipe a bit of sensible use should be sufficient to prevent blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Thanks for the reply, your assumptions are correct (woman in the house !)

Lots of paper was being used but we are reducing amount and also changed to cheapest Lidl 2 ply so it should help.

I never thought about the 2 flush button so i'll make sure that's being pressed in all scenarios :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Lots of paper was being used but we are reducing amount and also changed to cheapest Lidl 2 ply so it should help.

I never thought about the 2 flush button so i'll make sure that's being pressed in all scenarios :D

And perhaps adjust your flush vol to max in the cistern. If the angles of pipework aren't right, the water can speed away, leaving the waste behind. More water helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

And perhaps adjust your flush vol to max in the cistern. If the angles of pipework aren't right, the water can speed away, leaving the waste behind. More water helps.

Thanks, you are spot on. Had a guy from Drain Doctor out and he said exactly the same thing. Cistern is 6L and he said try and get it adjusted to about 7.8L

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

i can never put toilet paper into the bowl without it blocking so it goes into a black bag after use. Then burnt

• Advertisement
Advertisement