Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging power tool batteries in van. Leisure battery inverter?Anyone one have this s

Options
  • 28-02-2019 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi

I was wondering about getting 230v power in the van to charge power tool batteries. Anyone one got this set up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Hooked

jasushaw wrote: »
    Hi

I was wondering about getting 230v power in the van to charge power tool batteries. Anyone one got this set up

I've a second (leisure) battery, in my van conversion. It's linked to the main battery via a 'split charge relay' aka a voltage sensing relay. It basically charges the leisure battery when im driving.

The leisure battery is Hooked to a 2000w inverter, giving me 2 x 240v sockets when 'off grid'.

My mate (a carpenter) has the very same setup for charging power tool and drone batteries!

Once you have a way to recharge the leisure battery, and a decent inverter, it's simple enough to setup!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jasushaw

Hooked wrote: »
    I've a second (leisure) battery, in my van conversion. It's linked to the main battery via a 'split charge relay' aka a voltage sensing relay. It basically charges the leisure battery when im driving.

The leisure battery is Hooked to a 2000w inverter, giving me 2 x 240v sockets when 'off grid'.

My mate (a carpenter) has the very same setup for charging power tool and drone batteries!

Once you have a way to recharge the leisure battery, and a decent inverter, it's simple enough to setup!

Sounds like a good set up. How much does it roughly cost to set up? Or is there a diagram or plans or anywhere that sells it as a kit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Your power tools probably normally use a DC input (probably 18v) from an AC adapter, fitting an inverter is a waste, you're converting DC to AC and back to DC. You probably just need a boost converter with the right connectors. Something like this...

https://www.tomtop.com/p-e2067.html?currency=EUR&Warehouse=CN&aid=gplaiecd&mid=10000016502&utm_source=SEM&utm_medium=Google+PLA&utm_campaign=TT_PLA_IE_CD&utm_content=3707&gclid=CjwKCAiAqt7jBRAcEiwAof2uK1vxhF2hHFPTPm5KXW8bvtErsv3_PUqe3jZmwrZNC_0oOEZoM3FsTRoCdtIQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Hooked

Sounds like a good set up. How much does it roughly cost to set up? Or is there a diagram or plans or anywhere that sells it as a kit

Basic setup about 300 quid.

Leisure batt (110 Halfords)
    Inverter, depends on watts (120 ish)
    Split charger. Cables. Fuses. (70)
    Cables n stuff.

I'm a total noob, and did all my own elecs...

Be handy to have the 240v sockets for other stuff. And you can run 12v bits (I've lights, water pump, USB port and cool box) from the leisure battery

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

SirLIamALot will be along on 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

Hooked wrote: »
    Basic setup about 300 quid.

Leisure batt (110 Halfords)
    Inverter, depends on watts (120 ish)
    Split charger. Cables. Fuses. (70)
    Cables n stuff.

I'm a total noob, and did all my own elecs...

Be handy to have the 240v sockets for other stuff. And you can run 12v bits (I've lights, water pump, USB port and cool box) from the leisure battery

That's the job sounds perfect. Ye I could do with 240v for other uses too. I'll pick up the gear and try it.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Very good thanks i didn't know they had such a thing. I'm looking for a 54v dewalt charger

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Dont get a much bigger inverter than you need they can be very inefficient when running much less than capacity. I'd rather a decent brand used than some rebadged chinese crapola. But the time you're added on heavy duty cable, lugs, fuse, fuseholder, sockets, something like this can be very cheap - get it delivered with DPD parcel wizard for an extra couple of quid:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASTERVOLT-INVERTER-12V-700W/183705082478?hash=item2ac5ad1a6e:g:phEAAOSwhUpcdW5B:rk:15:pf:0

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

I have a cheap 300W Lidl inverter that I plug into the dash cigarette lighter while driving. Cheap and charges all my stuff while on the move.

• Advertisement

Mollified square waivers are renowned to be poor at powering phase angle fired chargers and appliances...mostly because the angle is 90° and not at all sine.

Easy peasy do with a ~300VA true sine wave. Here's a Studer in disguise.
    As for charging the van battery..you get what you pay for.

I bought a vsr kit with leisure battery but I just came across info saying the split charge relays can't be installed on Newer vans, euro 5 euro 6 engines because of newer smart alternator.

Any one know anything about this?

Yurp it'll discharge your service battery.

Get a second alternator or a battery to battery charger if you need diesel electric power.

Yurp it'll discharge your service battery.

Get a second alternator or a battery to battery charger if you need diesel electric power.

Well shiiitttt....
    I won't bother so. Anyone want to buy car kit with leisure battery

€5?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

Well shiiitttt....
    I won't bother so. Anyone want to buy car kit with leisure battery

am interested, what have you got/price?

Advertisement