Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching council registration

Options
  • 23-08-2018 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi there I am about to register with the teaching council. I graduated as a teacher abroad. I was wondering if you could share your experience with the registration if graduated abroad.. it's costing me loads of money in vettings, translations, certs. Plus if you do teach two languages (one of which is your mother tongue) did you have to be assessed for both and pay 100 eur for each subject? Thanks for sharing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 82Dave

Hi Charlie,

I see no one has replied to your post but I am hoping you may be able to help me. My partner is in a very similar situation you found yourself when you posted this.

She is a french national who is a registered teacher outside the EU and has her teaching qualification from the UK.

Other than the cost that is being requested (which incidentally I totally agree is very high) there appears to be a bizarre requirement for her to to prove certain aspects of her third level education. Namely that see needs to give a catalog of french literature (Poetry, Drama etc) she studied as part of her degree. Problem being that these topics listed would be typical to expect of an Irish student who studied French in third level education but not a french national and what they study in France. She did not study french in her degree....she is french and the degree was taught in french.

This seems ridiculous but hopefully your experience will help set us straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Charlie27

Hi there unfortunately she will be requested to give extra exams in French language and related linguistic subjects to be registered, it would be like taking another university year. I was the same I have a masters in French philosophy which I obtained in France and a Uk pgce but according to the tc I cant prove to be proficient in French. I was shocked and gave up, this country prefers to train primary teachers to teach in secondary schools (due to the lack of mfl teachers) than to give me an opportunity, good for them

Thanks for the reply, even if it is not the news I was hoping to hear. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

82Dave wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, even if it is not the news I was hoping to hear. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

Try to calculate the credits needed to teach other subjects eg history if she had enough she could try with that...

Unfortunately she really is only comfortable teaching languages. It's all she's done for years now.

It's quite incredible that they impose this level of scrutiny on skilled and qualified teachers. If she was in her 50's there would be little to no chance of even getting her hands on this detail of paperwork in the first place. It appears to me clearly designed to make it impossible for foreign qualified teachers to teach in Ireland.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

82Dave wrote: »
    It's quite incredible that they impose this level of scrutiny on skilled and qualified teachers. If she was in her 50's there would be little to no chance of even getting her hands on this detail of paperwork in the first place. It appears to me clearly designed to make it impossible for foreign qualified teachers to teach in Ireland.

This.
    How the Teaching Council get away with it is disgusting. It's one of the few actual functions they are there for. They do precious little else of any value.

The underlying xenophobic 'our courses in Ireland are so much better than anywhere else in Europe' is sickening.

Shame on them. I totally agree.

Advertisement