Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce Dublin

Options
  • 12-02-2018 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

So who's doing this at the weekend? I saw the two 29km waves have been merged into one. I wonder did they not have the numbers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Im in for the 49km...
    Say its time related...
    3 waves in the long course...so the short waves are delayed another 15 minutes.
    I would imagine the road closures with the gardai is limited ...
    Best of luck to all involved...

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Will be a fairly hectic start if that's the case! Looks like a decent day for it anyway.

Will be a fairly hectic start if that's the case! Looks like a decent day for it anyway.

Ah it will spread over fairly quick in Ballymana lane....drove up today to remind myself of the climb....tears...
    List is up
    Wave 1 200
    Wave 2 100
    Wave 3 50 plus
    Wave 4 looks like about 250

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How much was entry to this? Saw competitors having to stop at red lights in Kilnamanagh today..for what they normally charge for races like this I'd be expecting marshalled junctions at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

was 75e if i remember correctly, was interested in it when i first heard, but not at that price. paying the gaelforce premium

EDIT: early bird price was 80, then 85 and 95 up til yesterday!

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    was 75e if i remember correctly, was interested in it when i first heard, but not at that price. paying the gaelforce premium

Ouch. The roundabout in Kilnamanagh was marshalled, but for that price I'd be expecting to be able to race and not have to stop at red lights. Having passed the marshalled roundabout I was surprised when I got to the lights to see no one there to get cyclists through safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Yeah I'd an unfortunate red light as I approached it. Heard afterwards from my partner talking to the stewards that some of the Gardai knocked off early from some of the minor junctions. There were meant to be 2 also at the old mill (none when I passed through)

Wonder was there a lot of DNS, wave 1 didn't seem to have 200, and definitely nowhere near 100 in wave 2 with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

retalivity wrote: »

EDIT: early bird price was 80, then 85 and 95 up til yesterday!

:eek::eek: Yikes, that's pretty steep. I did my first Gaelforce event last year in Connemara and wasn't very impressed with the organisation (I'd have preferred a bottle of water at the end rather then a medal) and I'm not sure the marshals were briefed very well as they were giving the incorrect instructions to some of the competitors.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to do one of their events again and definitely not at that price point. If you look at the line up in Gaelforce races, it's not attracting the top multi-sporters in Ireland compared to the likes of S2S and Quest and I'm not sure that they've much repeat business.

Wow 80, 85, 90 and not even closed roads? :eek:

Closed roads at parts:
    The start to first climb.
    Ballinascorney to featherbeds

SFA traffic though at that time of morning. Only traffic I saw was old mill crossroads onwards (so last 3km)

• Advertisement

Grassey wrote: »
    Closed roads at parts:
    The start to first climb.
    Ballinascorney to featherbeds

SFA traffic though at that time of morning. Only traffic I saw was old mill crossroads onwards (so last 3km)

I was cycling in the other direction. Plenty of built up traffic coming that way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Was my first Gaelforce and enjoyed it. Found it well organised, no issues with traffic. I've done many a triathlon and closed roads aren't that common.

Rhe shirt is great, long sleeve fleece will be well used.

Plenty of stretching afterwards so thankfully legs aren't too sore this morning.

Ranjo wrote: »
    Was my first Gaelforce and enjoyed it. Found it well organised, no issues with traffic. I've done many a triathlon and closed roads aren't that common.

I've never had to stop for red lights in a triathlon. How anyone can think having to stop at traffic lights in a race, particularly one they've paid the guts of €100 to enter baffles me. The fact people think it's ok is the reason why commercial race organisers keep managing to sell out their extortionately priced races without providing a full set of services for it. Big win for the race organisers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Starting the race away from Tallaght shopping district would be the only way they could do this without closing roads. Its not realistic to close them on a Saturday morning. Other Dublin-area events (DCT, Great Dublin Bike Ride, IM70.3) either avoid congested areas or operate on a Sunday.

I'm finding all event prices going up. Triathon membership is up, costs are increasing. Not many 35 euro tri's going around any more.

Taxi seen me and then continued to pull straight out in front of me at Bohernabreena church I had to swing out on the wrong side of the road to overtake him must check but Ive done 70kmh on that descent....
    Oh and stung for €6 parking afterwards...they should at least agree a parking arrangememt with someone...

Not to end on a sour note...
    A winning time of 2:25!!
    Has anyone that mans training plan:D

Did this last year too and seemed to be a little better organised although still no clear signage for when the two routes split for the last cycle. Loads of people went the wrong way last year so I really can't understand it. Agree that lack of parking is a pain and I also got caught at a red light for about 20secs but as a Dublin resident I'll accept it for the convenience of it being so close!

They definitely give out the best kit though. The fleeces both years have been very niceðŸ˜

Improved my time this year but finished further down the field so definitely a more competitive field compared to last year.

http://www.clearskiesahead.com/f819613447

Some are on GFD facebook now all them are in Clearskies...happy hunting

Snap! I was just coming here to post the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The 2019 version is on next week, I have been running - but I have been on the bike for about 1 hour total in 2019 and not been in the canoe or Kayak at all for a single minute.

If this was a running race I would tell the person not to bother - but I guess I could drop down to the shorter distance and just get around the course for an interesting morning..

I guess Im not all that bothered, but I have paid the entry so should get my ass in gear :)

but I guess I could drop down to the shorter distance and just get around the course for an interesting morning..

Assuming its the same course as last year then all the worst bits are the same for both courses, there is just 1 last climb up to the featherbeds which isn't that bad, and a fun fast descent.

Stick with the long course, you'll thank me :D

The 2019 version is on next week, I have been running - but I have been on the bike for about 1 hour total in 2019 and not been in the canoe or Kayak at all for a single minute.

If this was a running race I would tell the person not to bother - but I guess I could drop down to the shorter distance and just get around the course for an interesting morning..

I guess Im not all that bothered, but I have paid the entry so should get my ass in gear :)

I've only done the short course and you'll definitely get through it. The initial bike climb is absolute hell but once you get through that it's downhill or flat. The run isn't too bad but heading up the mountain is tough going no matter how fit you are. Yiu can make up a fair bit of time on the way back down if you go for it as a lot of people take it handy in the descent

Doubt anyone has any canoe/Kayak done...
    Youll get away with the long course on running alone...
    How much running have you done is the next question....

So going to do the long course. Just doing it for fun, so don't mind that the hard bits fo the cycle will be hard - I know that they end eventually :)

I did 8 and a half miles last weekend with no bother. Real life issues [and the fact that I was not too bothered!] gave me a time goal of 90 odd minutes but could have gone on easy. I have been running 4 or 5 times a week and adding in a few hills, so I will be grand.

What is interesting is that I have been doing Low Carb [and very low sugar] and high fat for over a month [very successfully, 5 1/2 KG down] - so doing it with no carbs inside me, will be interesting; but all about burning some extra fat [even if its painful!!]

Found my Pulse Tri kit from 5 or 6 years ago [that I *never* wore, not even once] the other day, so going to give that a run out I think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

So going to do the long course. Just doing it for fun, so don't mind that the hard bits fo the cycle will be hard - I know that they end eventually :)

I did 8 and a half miles last weekend with no bother. Real life issues [and the fact that I was not too bothered!] gave me a time goal of 90 odd minutes but could have gone on easy. I have been running 4 or 5 times a week and adding in a few hills, so I will be grand.

What is interesting is that I have been doing Low Carb [and very low sugar] and high fat for over a month [very successfully, 5 1/2 KG down] - so doing it with no carbs inside me, will be interesting; but all about burning some extra fat [even if its painful!!]

Found my Pulse Tri kit from 5 or 6 years ago [that I *never* wore, not even once] the other day, so going to give that a run out I think!!

Hi Vaggabond,

All the LCHF stuff I've read and the stories I've heard on podcasts relating to LCHF athletes all cram down loads of gels and sugar on race day. They train low carb but race with all the advantages of carbohydrates! Eat up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Hi Vaggabond,

All the LCHF stuff I've read and the stories I've heard on podcasts relating to LCHF athletes all cram down loads of gels and sugar on race day. They train low carb but race with all the advantages of carbohydrates! Eat up!

I don't

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Hope it went well! I'd love to hear how you went on low carb today. Any issues? I've been training low carb since Feb but haven't raced over 30 minutes yet this year so I'd like to know how it worked out for you today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Enduro wrote: »
    I don't

Enduro I'd love to hear more if you don't mind. Perhaps you have written about it before and have a link?

• Advertisement

El Director - I really can't tell you. The fact I was gigantically underprepared means I don't have an informed opinion if my struggles on hills are the absence of training of hitting "the wall" after a very short time :)

I guess if it was a half or a full marathon I have done enough of them to give you a real opinion...

Broke all my diet rules [a bit] in the 24 hours after the race. Not too crazy, but a looong way beyond keto for that 24 hours!! Back on the horse since lunchtime, for what it is worth.

Advertisement