Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Scotland

Options
  • 08-01-2016 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Looking at 10/14 days in Scotland, probably the first two weeks of July or the first two weeks of August.

Been to Wales and France in the last two summers so this seems worth investigating a bit more.

Anyone been to Scotland?
    Recommend sites/attractions etc to keep 2 kids (9/12) occupied?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Looking at 10/14 days in Scotland, probably the first two weeks of July or the first two weeks of August.

Been to Wales and France in the last two summers so this seems worth investigating a bit more.

Anyone been to Scotland?

I've only done city breaks there and a foray out to lough lomond and the trossachs which was a bit like ireland except colder with more midges I think I'd have to go as far as Fort William / Skye to feel like I was on holidays :D

For kids Glasgow science center is worth a visit, midlothian artificial ski/snowboard/tubing, this climbing wall is good http://www.alienrock.co.uk/ although this one is probably more amazing I haven't been http://www.eica-ratho.co.uk/facilities/climbing-arena-0, ice skating at murrayfield.

Probably best to park and ride in edinburgh:
    https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/directory/2/park_and_rides

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The Isle of Skye is like an alien world. Its the only place where the wind was blowing the water off the road faster than I was driving!

Check out the ski slopes in the summer they have mountain biking or maybe just get the lift to the top for the views.

Take a trip over the balinc na ba the UKs & Irelands highest road spend a night or two in Applecross and drive up to Inverness back round to Aviemore for a more sporty resort.

I love Scotland, I go castle hunting. They have so many that you could buy one for £100k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

We've stayed in Edinburgh Caravan Club site a few years ago which was ideal for day trips into Edinburgh. Nice site with shops and attractions close by. Not sure if it's for cc members only.
    Further up north we've stayed in Faskally camp site. Great site with lots of facilities including pool, bar and restaurant. Great scenery locally and lots of touristy places locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Anyone been to Scotland?

I'm actually planning this exact trip at the moment for about the same time. I'll post up my findings here. One thing I've found which I think will be very handy is this app. Costs €2.99 but I think it'll be worth it.

My own personal route is Cairnryan - Glasgow - Falkirk Wheel - The Kelpies - Rosslyn Castle - Edinburgh - Donnottar Castle - Aberdeen - Inverness - Lock Ness - Spean Brigde - Isle of Skye - Fort William - Cairnryan.

It's very vague apart from a couple of must sees near the start, but pretty much from Aberdeen (meeting family) on we'll be winging it and consulting guide books as we move around.

As I come across things I'll post them here if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Yes please Quazzie - thanks!

Some really interesting places there on your itinerary - in particular the Falkirk Wheel and Donnottar Castle. You plan on covering alot in the 2 weeks.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Yes please Quazzie - thanks!

Some really interesting places there on your itinerary - in particular the Falkirk Wheel and Donnottar Castle. You plan on covering alot in the 2 weeks.

Good luck!
    Yea the falkirk wheel is on my "to-do" list for quiet some time. We plan on covering 4-6 hours per day driving in the camper. A quick route on Google maps says it's easily doable, but unfortunately it doesn't leave a lot of time for wandering too far off the beaten track, or for settling in a nice spot for a few days, but that's what the next visit is for I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Quazzie wrote: »
    We plan on covering 4-6 hours per day driving in the camper.

You'll need another holiday when you get back!:D

It would be alot more relaxing to kick back somewhere for a few days, every few days - but each to their own.

If I suggested covering 4-6 hours per day my crew would revolt!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Eilean Donan Castle (near Kyle of Lochalsh, on the way to Skye) is beautiful - its the castle from Highlander. Also the Glennfinnan monument at Loch Shiel (maybe 10 miles west of Fort William is worth a look). There's a steam train journey around there that looks good, but havent been on it. Culloden battlefield just east of Inverness is worth a look - good tours.

A fairly natural 'lap' of Scotland possible up from Glasgow to Loch Lomond, Glencoe (fab), Fort William, Skye (got near it not on it...next time), Loch Ness, Iverness, scoot down to Stirling, into Edinburgh.

In a fit of youthful madness my brother & I did this in 5 days (was 5 day return being offered at the time by Stena) - great craic but obviously a way too much in that timeframe.

Tis on, detailed plans are being laid (cue Indian Jones style clip of caravan traversing Scottish map). Much like Quazzie's list above but less on the East Coast. Looking a ferry from Uig on Skye out to Lewis/Harris (without caravan, tent it for 1 night).

A question - anyone here skipped across from Fort William to Perth (so NE from Fort William on A86, then briefly onto A889 to join the A9 heading SE)? I dont mind it being slow but have a fairly big caravan and an ordinary car - now its done 000's of miles across Wales, England and France so no fundamental issues - but at the same time I dont fancy chugging to the top of a mountain with white knuckles and praying no wheel spin.. )

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

My advice would be, rather than constantly being on the go, to take a holiday, somewhere for at least a week, preferably in southern Scotland. The weather may not be great, even during the summer.

• Advertisement

After being there, my one piece of advice is to invest heavily in midge repellent, and umberellas. A stunningly beautiful country, but the midges are insane.

Quazzie wrote: »
    After being there, my one piece of advice is to invest heavily in midge repellent, and umberellas. A stunningly beautiful country, but the midges are insane.

Had forgotten about the midges. How could I forget??? I would also agree with the umbrella, unfortunately.

The rough plan is for 3 or 4 'bases' over just under 3 weeks, so ok it wont be super-relaxed, but hopefully it will be fun (relaxation not always the same as doing nowt....)

Betsy Og wrote: »
    The rough plan is for 3 or 4 'bases' over just under 3 weeks, so ok it wont be super-relaxed, but hopefully it will be fun (relaxation not always the same as doing nowt....)

That's my kind of holiday. Variety and Relaxation combined.

We're all booked.

Balloch (for Loch Lomond/Glasgow/Stirling), Fort William (steam train, Glen Nevis, Loch Ness, Inverness, Culloden), Skye (with one night in Lewis/Harris hopefully), Edinburgh.

Cannae wait! .... I have 4 Intel suits ordered to deal with the midge thing :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

If you can - spend some time in Inverness. Its a lovely place - i lived there for a while and enjoyed every moment of it.

Avoid Aberdeen...nothing to see and do. Its a depressing place.

Thanks, yep, will do a day trip to Loch Ness/Inverness/Culloden.

Been in Inverness before but don't remember too much, were in the Gunnery pub (or something similarly militaristic) if I remember correctly. Culloden was very interesting I recall.

Got on great in Scotland, could highly recommend it. Roads are so so but it's all very doable. Midges not a major issues, a few bites on my legs but never got "swarmed", never changed our plans on doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

This seems to be the latest thread about Scotland in the forum...

We're planning a trip from Dublin later in the year - probably looking at doing the north coast 500 route (2 of us in a Bongo) over 5 days (we've found that about 100 miles per day works well for us allowing plenty of time for stop offs, eating etc.

While there's loads of info online about the route itself I'm wondering about what to do between the ferry and Inverness each way? It's well driveable in one go but we could probably give another two days each way if there's much to see and do or alternate routes between the ferry and Inverness or if anyone has any recommendations?

Also, what are peoples thought's on the best ferry? Larne - Cairnyan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Im heading over next week. Sailing out of Belfast to Cairnryan. Looking forward to the drive up to Fort William where we are based for 8 nights. The cost of car hire was crazy so by bringing our car we are saving £900 and avoid Airport delays, luggage etc. We have all we need in 2 medium cases and also a case with mini stove and basics for having a snack during the day.

Wife into hiking and hill walking and Im into Photography so suits us perfectly. I am in Scotland a few times a year but for pipe band competitions. So looking forward to heading up A82 for what is a stunning drive for first time in 7/8 years. There is plenty to see and do if you plan your days. The only snag can be the weather but if you have the right gear it is fine. Last time we were there was in July and we were eaten by midges.

Most of our time will be spent around Glencoe where there are some stunning views and some great walks but also a night on Skye.

Will update when back home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement