Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charge, or no charge, if I apply for my over 70 driving licence in the month before I

Options
  • 20-03-2019 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

The website is unclear if I will be charged if I try to renew my driving licence (complete with medical, eye test etc.) just before my 70th birthday. (So was the person I spoke to when I phoned)
    It clearly states that anyone over 70 will not be charged, but everyone's licence expires (by design) the day before they reach 70.
    Under 70's are charged for licences and licences are dated from the date of application, so, if I don't wait until after I am 70 to renew my (by then) expired licence, will I be charged?
    When I phoned, they were unsure and suggested I wait until it expires, but I am going on holiday that week, and want my licence to be valid!
    The last time I applied, it was for a 10 year licence, and they took the full fee, but only gave me one for 7 years which I didn't notice until I got home. I don't want to be cheated again!
    Has anyone had direct experience of whether common sense prevails, or not (whichever is the case).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Considering how many otherwise unavoidable costs/charges/taxes the over 70's are allowed avoid I'd say maybe you should not suggest that you are somehow being cheated over having to pay for one of the items that the rest of us also have to pay for.

The idea that you should be allowed away with paying because you are nearly at the threshold doesn't sound like common sense to me, it sounds like wanting an extra concession. Your options seem clear, renew before 70 and pay or wait until it is expired and get it for free. You never know your luck, maybe they won't charge even if you are still a youngster when you apply.

Alternately "Can't drive, have no licence, the bar stewards wanted me to pay for the thing" sounds like a perfect excuse to have a drink and let someone else chauffeur you around.

Either way happy birthday and enjoy your holiday. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭measurement

I've paid my way (taxes and all) all my life, so don't accuse me of getting what i'm not entitled to. I want to comply with the requirement to hold a valid driving licence at all times, and just want to know can I get it a week ahead of time, so that I can travel, without being penalised for complying with the law. I will have to pay for the medical and eye test. The way the website is worded, everyone who reaches 70 without renewing their licence is breaking the law.
    Your answer seems very flippant.
    You make so many assumptions in your reply I can hardly believe it. I was charged for a 10 year licence some years ago, not this year, I am not over 70 yet, and i' m quite independent thank you, not wanting a chauffeur to travel abroad, thanks, nor do I drink.
    I just want a straight answer, one way or the other, from the department, or anyone else who can help. If you can't help, don't say anything thank you.
    P.s. you will be 70 yourself sometime, and may have a different view then.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I've paid my way (taxes and all) all my life, so don't accuse me of getting what i'm not entitled to. I want to comply with the requirement to hold a valid driving licence at all times, and just want to know can I get it a week ahead of time, so that I can travel, without being penalised for complying with the law. I will have to pay for the medical and eye test. The way the website is worded, everyone who reaches 70 without renewing their licence is breaking the law.
    Your answer seems very flippant.
    You make so many assumptions in your reply I can hardly believe it. I was charged for a 10 year licence some years ago, not this year, I am not over 70 yet, and i' m quite independent thank you, not wanting a chauffeur to travel abroad, thanks, nor do I drink.
    I just want a straight answer, one way or the other, from the department, or anyone else who can help. If you can't help, don't say anything thank you.
    P.s. you will be 70 yourself sometime, and may have a different view then.

If you apply before you are 70 you will get a driving licence that will expire the day before your 70th birthday so i cant see any benefit of applying before then. It is just unfortunate timing that you need it the week of your 70th birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The website is unclear if I will be charged if I try to renew my driving licence (complete with medical, eye test etc.) just before my 70th birthday. (So was the person I spoke to when I phoned) It clearly states that anyone over 70 will not be charged, but everyone's licence expires (by design) the day before they reach 70. Under 70's are charged for licences and licences are dated from the date of application, so, if I don't wait until after I am 70 to renew my (by then) expired licence, will I be charged? When I phoned, they were unsure and suggested I wait until it expires, but I am going on holiday that week, and want my licence to be valid! The last time I applied, it was for a 10 year licence, and they took the full fee, but only gave me one for 7 years which I didn't notice until I got home. I don't want to be cheated again! Has anyone had direct experience of whether common sense prevails, or not (whichever is the case).

You won't be charged but the expiry date on your new licence will be 3 years from the date you applied rather than 3 years from your 70th birthday. For that reason I suggest you don't apply until about two weeks before your 70th birthday.

Gooser14 wrote: »
    You won't be charged but the expiry date on your new licence will be 3 years from the date you applied rather than 3 years from your 70th birthday. For that reason I suggest you don't apply until about two weeks before your 70th birthday.

if you are between 67 and 70 the expiry date will be the day before your 70th birthday.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/renewing_a_full_driving_licence.html

• Advertisement

if you are between 67 and 70 the expiry date will be the day before your 70th birthday.

Yes but in order to have a valid licence on reaching 70 you have to initiate the renewal process about two working weeks beforehand.

Yes but in order to have a valid licence on reaching 70 you have to initiate the renewal process about two working weeks beforehand.

Yes but if you apply 2 weeks prior to your 70th it is the date of application that is taken as the start date of the licence and they wont give you a licence that straddles your 70th birthday. Seems like they didnt really think it through. The NDLS that is.

Yes but if you apply 2 weeks prior to your 70th it is the date of application that is taken as the start date of the licence and they wont give you a licence that straddles your 70th birthday. Seems like they didnt really think it through. The NDLS that is.

But they do give you a licence that straddles your 70th birthday. In my own case my 70th was in early Feb 19 and my new licence covers the period of 23 Jan 19 to 22 Jan 22.

But they do give you a licence that straddles your 70th birthday. In my own case my 70th was in early Feb 19 and my new licence covers the period of 23 Jan 19 to 22 Jan 22.

Well maybe how it works in practice doesn't match what the NDLS say. Did you have to pay for it?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

My Dad's licence expires 8 months before his 70th. So he will have to pay NDLS €55 for an 8 month licence and then go back and do it all again when he gets to 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

My Dad's licence expires 8 months before his 70th. So he will have to pay NDLS €55 for an 8 month licence and then go back and do it all again when he gets to 70.

Incorrect. Anyone over 67 gets a full three year licence which takes them past their 70th birthday. Fee is €35 and no medical required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Since when? I have seen countless licences that expire the day before the 70th birthday.

He will be pleased with your news.

Vologda69 wrote:
    Incorrect. Anyone over 67 gets a full three year licence which takes them past their 70th birthday. Fee is €35 and no medical required.

Citizens Information states that the licence will expire the day before 70th birthday. What's the source of your information that the licence will be valid past 70th birthday? Your statement re the 35 euro fee is correct.

Citizens Information states that the licence will expire the day before 70th birthday. What's the source of your information that the licence will be valid past 70th birthday? Your statement re the 35 euro fee is correct.

It states on the NDLS website.. Most licences as a rule expire on eve of 70th birthday. Those that don't are entitled to a full three year licence. Family member works with NDLS

Since when? I have seen countless licences that expire the day before the 70th birthday.

He will be pleased with your news.

NDLS will confirm when he presents... System automatically determines the correct term

Advertisement