Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Establishing a Management Company

Options
  • 22-03-2019 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭

I am interested in trying to set up a management company in the apartment complex where I live. It's a small development of duplexes and townhouses some owner occupied, others rented out. The areas requiring upkeep are a small central courtyard /car park and entrance gates. The original developer was responsible but went out of business. I have spoken to a couple of my neighbours who are like minded.
    What legal and other requirements might be involved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

When was it built?

There should be Owners Management Company set up an listed on the CRO by the Developer and this ultimately gets transferred to the control of the owners. You will have signed a lease with this Owners Management Company when you purchased so you solicitor should give you the detail.

Accounts have to be prepared for this Company annually and filed and if this hasn't been done the company will have been struck off and its expensive to get it back listed.

PM if you need more info

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

A contact with the OMC forms part of the lease that you sign when you buy a managed property. If there's no company already, you can't easily create one. I'm not sure if it's legally possible to tie a property to a new OMC and, even if you could, you'd need 100% of the owners to sign it.

What's more likely is a residents association. Owners or tenants can contribute voluntarily to the upkeep of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

markpb wrote:
    What's more likely is a residents association. Owners or tenants can contribute voluntarily to the upkeep of the estate.

Yes, that seems to be the only realistic option in this particular situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

markpb wrote: »
    A contact with the OMC forms part of the lease that you sign when you buy a managed property. If there's no company already, you can't easily create one. I'm not sure if it's legally possible to tie a property to a new OMC and, even if you could, you'd need 100% of the owners to sign it.

Won't they need an OMC to own the buildings otherwise all their mortgages are invalid, if no one owns the buildings then no one can insure them. They will have serious issues with their mortgage providers and possibly personal injury claims if there's no OMC to take the hit for public liability.

Del2005 wrote:
    Won't they need an OMC to own the buildings otherwise all their mortgages are invalid, if no one owns the buildings then no one can insure them. They will have serious issues with their mortgage providers and possibly personal injury claims if there's no OMC to take the hit for public liability.

The owner profile is mostly those, like myself, who were cash purchasers without mortgages so this is the only type of buyer likely to find these kind of properties attractive to buy - professional landlords, say. No financial institution will grant mortgages without a management company in place. As regards insurance, I had no problem getting cover.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote: »
    The owner profile is mostly those, like myself, who were cash purchasers without mortgages so this is the only type of buyer likely to find these kind of properties attractive to buy - professional landlords, say. No financial institution will grant mortgages without a management company in place. As regards insurance, I had no problem getting cover.

How do you insure something you don't own? The company taking your money to insure your part of a MUD is the easy bit. Getting them to pay out for a property you don't own is a different matter.

Del2005 wrote:
    How do you insure something you don't own? The company taking your money to insure your part of a MUD is the easy bit. Getting them to pay out for a property you don't own is a different matter.

I am the owner in the legal sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm not 100% sure, but have a feeling that a management company is a legal requirement.

If the original developer went broke before handing off the responsibilities to a MC, then the ownership and responsibility should have been dealt with in winding up his/her/its affairs.

Either way - you need legal advice which is based on the actual leases you signed when purchasing your properties. Not from randomers on the interweb who don't know what your leases say.

chicorytip wrote: »
    I am the owner in the legal sense.

Not in a MUD, you have a long term lease and the OMC is the owner. Every other MUD has the OMC is the policyholder for the buildings as they own them, how did you get the building transferred to you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OP, I'd get professional legal advice if I were you.

If there is no OMC I would guess ownership of the common areas is in question.

Other important questions you might want to ask as they are usually covered by management fees:

is there a sinking fund to cover future repairs to the fabric of the building
    is there block insurance
    is there PL insurance

To be blunt, maintaining the courtyard has potential to be the least of your worries.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote:
    Not in a MUD, you have a long term lease and the OMC is the owner. Every other MUD has the OMC is the policyholder for the buildings as they own them, how did you get the building transferred to you?

I purchased the property at public auction. The previous owner received no demand for management fees during his period of ownership. The reason the property was listed for sale at auction was because of the fact that there was no management company in position. The exchange of contracts, transfer of title, land registry, LPT charge etc. went through in the normal manner without difficulty and was handled by reputable firms of solicitors.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That's not surprising. Unless the OMC issue is addressed (fixed) it's the most likely way you'd need to approach any future sale.

I suspect any future purchaser would have problems getting a mortgage against a property with no clear OMC.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless the duplexes are actually resting on solid ground and go all the way to the roof - you have severe, severe issues there that are not common in Ireland without an OMC and lease structure. Flying freeholds do exist but are extremely rare.

L1011 wrote:
    Unless the duplexes are actually resting on solid ground and go all the way to the roof - you have severe, severe issues there that are not common in Ireland without an OMC and lease structure. Flying freeholds do exist but are extremely rare.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If I were you I would be looking to find the best way to sort out the title on your properties.

This would cost a thousands of euros but could add enormously to the value of the individual properties.

Setting up or getting the management company reinstated will be a part of that.

The main thing you need to do this is legal advice from a solicitor. I would suggest your original solicitor be your first port of call to get an estimate of likely costs. The next step would be to collect pledges for that amount from the owners.

If all you want to do is fix the gates and do some painting you could just set up a committee. There are two problems with this - firstly the committee members might attract personal liability to themselves and secondly you would be investing in property for which you may not have a saleable title, which is not a good business move.

Advertisement