Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheltenham Day 4 - Friday 14 March

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Agree close this thread now. Load of bull
    Agree, lads comparing horses to Ayrton Senna, like a horse could ever drive a car, let alone win Formula One championships. State of this place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭jkbkhhho7t

Horses are the only farm animals not bred for slaughter so the humble cow would not be long switching places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Sensible discussion as ever I see

Sensible discussion and outrage enthusiasts are incompatible I’m afraid.

Agree, lads comparing horses to Ayrton Senna, like a horse could ever drive a car, let alone win Formula One championships. State of this place.

I was attempting to assist the fella understand his logic was flawed, but that was lost on you I gather from that response.

Rather than being petty, and making childish remarks on “the state of this place”, remind yourself you dragged in staying chases . Why stop there? Why not aw sprinting? You do realize those calling for changes will never end until the sport is banned. That’s a fact. You can keep that last couple of lines and refer back to it at a future date if the outrage enthusiasts get their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Bumper did you really miss the implied rolleyes on the last Senna comment??

On the childish remarks, was your own [long] post about fishing for tuna and rejecting medicines not in the same vein?

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Bumper did you really miss the implied rolleyes on the last Senna comment??

On the childish remarks, was your own [long] post about fishing for tuna and rejecting medicines not in the same vein?

I did miss the rolley eyes. Apologies.

Outrage enthusiasm indeed, not much chance of Bumper staying the trip the way he goes tearing off anyway :) (smiley face - i.e. this is not a serious comment)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

If people can watch that head on angle of the finish of the 4 miler at Cheltenham and think there is nothing wrong with obviously shattered horses being forced to keep going till they crumple in a heap then good luck to them, I am used to seeing such things and it was a hard watch for me so can only imagine what it looked like to an outsider.

All about mitigating risk for me and if racing is not seen to be taking proactive steps then the game will be up before long. A lot of people seem to have the attitude that this was always the way things were done so why change it etc, that's a very dangerous game to play in my opinion.

Racing needs to be sure of its self in areas where welfare concerns are unfounded (e.g. the whip) but actually do things to reduce the risk of injury to horses where there are legitimate concerns.

I don't see tired horses being a problem, they're trained for endurance.

handsfree2 wrote: »
    I don't see tired horses being a problem, they're trained for endurance.
    I would say just about any "non racing person" (and these people are the majority in society) would watch end of that 4 miler at Cheltenham and think there was a welfare issue. Anyway there's not much point in my continuing in this discussion lest I be labelled an outrage enthusiast for having an opinion that does not perfectly align with the status quo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Worst......
    Thread........
    Ever....

close it down

• Advertisement

Worst......
    Thread........
    Ever....

close it down
    Not quite as good as the one made about a vile rumour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Thread needs a poll. ;)

Who is the worst
    One a year aftertimers with screenshots of bets [ ]
    Once a year "concerned about horses" TV watchers [ ]
    That flat guy who started a 2000 Guineas thread [ ]

i saw that coming!!!!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Im lost

akelly02 wrote: »
    Im lost
    You're better off :D

akelly02 wrote: »
    Im lost

See that road down there, you see the gate with the cow peeking over it, well if you get there, turn back, you have gone too far.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Horse racing has been around since the beginning of time and will be till the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Horse racing has been around since the beginning of time and will be till the end

Hmmmmm I hope so but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

wally79 wrote: »
    I’m not on either side in this but in fairness senna decided to get in the fast car

I don’t know how much of a choice the horses have

If a 500kg horse doesnt want to race he wont, think Mad Moose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭wally79

Shemale wrote: »
    If a 500kg horse doesnt want to race he wont, think Mad Moose

You still can’t compare a human decision to a horses

Also for the record I’m a fan of racing and don’t understand those who want to ban it as most if not all of these animals wouldn’t exist without it.

Advertisement