Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving Geography grinds

Options
  • 11-03-2019 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭

Hi
    i was asked by students parents who are neighbors if i would give their children geography grinds at leaving and junior cert level. i am qualified geography and history teacher but have never taught leaving cert geography. im just wondering what format would or should these sessions take, if i agree to it? has anyone a basic plan of grinds sessions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

Good luck getting the field study done correctly for them if you haven't taught it or know someone who has corrected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

there just looking for help of any sort ,so ill help where i can. the teacher has missed 75% of the year and they were just lumped into supervised classes. very academic school, kids are very worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

Good luck getting the field study done correctly for them if you haven't taught it or know someone who has corrected it.

It’s hardly rocket science? I’m sure if they are a geography teacher they’ll manage.

If you haven't written it up or had the advice of someone who is corrected, it's easy to mess up and get 50 odd out of 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

If you haven't written it up or had the advice of someone who is corrected, it's easy to mess up and get 50 odd out of 100.

Surely not a reason to say no to a neighbours child who has come looking for help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Aquals wrote: »
    Surely not a reason to say no to a neighbours child who has come looking for help!

A very good reason if they are going to pay op for his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

A very good reason if they are going to pay op for his time.
    The OP's time is worth what it's worth. It is neither the responsibility nor the remit of a grinds teacher to ensure that the course is covered properly and that project work etc. is done. It is the school's responsibility to ensure that the students are properly prepared, not the OP's.

It's also the students and parents responsibility.

It's also the students and parents responsibility.
    Yes, to some extent.
    My point was that it's not the grinds teacher's responsibility. It might be something they choose to do, and it becomes (partly) their responsibility if they say they'll do that as part of the service they're offering, but it is not an implicit part of their remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ill help where i can for free , there neighbours, i might want aomething or help from them some day........

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    ill help where i can for free , there neighbours, i might want aomething or help from them some day........
    This would be how I feel about it too. I don't give grinds to anyone, but if a friend or neighbour asked for help, I wouldn't be looking for money in return.

If I started offering formal grinds, that would be a different story, obviously (before someone accuses me of devaluing the profession).

Advertisement