Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Bank introducing transaction charges

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Moving closer to just loading up the Revolut card for the month and just using that. In which case I'd actually save money thanks to the drop in maintenance fee from €4 to €2.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I'm with Ulster bank and saw the article, 20c charge on all transactions is too much, I have to move. Is N26 a proper bank account? Can you move all (direct debits, standing orders, payments from work) over to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Corbally76

I just moved from PTSB to N26 myself. Yes, you can have all DDs, Standing orders and payments into account. You will have to move the DDs yourself though. I just used my N26 card in an AIB ATM today and my current balance showed up on my ATM receipt. I'm impressed so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I'm with Ulster bank and saw the article, 20c charge on all transactions is too much, I have to move. Is N26 a proper bank account? Can you move all (direct debits, standing orders, payments from work) over to it?

I’ve been without personal account at an Irish bank for 2 years (N26 instead) and no problem with it.

While it is less and less of an issue and I have been fine, you could still come across an employer who doesn’t want to pay you to a non-Irish account or a business which is refusing direct debit mandates for non Irish accounts though ... doing those things is illegal but being illegal doesn’t mean you’ll be able to quickly bring offenders back to legality every time you encounter an issue.

Also N26 obviously doesn’t have in-branch services and you won’t be able to get a bank draft from them or to lodge cash to your account.

With that in mind I feel more comfortable knowing that I also have a joint account with an Irish bank in case I am stuck. But to be honest besides a cash deposit once in a while I never really need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

I'm definitely moving myself. My monthly fees will go from 4 euro to about 9.60!

Bye bye ulster bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I use a combination of N26 and Revolut. N26 as my main bank account, replacing Ulsterbank and using Revolut for my day to day spending. Like the saving vault in Revolut but Revolut is not yet a full bank account.

Will close my Ulsterbank accounts now. Current, saving and credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Sono

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Moving closer to just loading up the Revolut card for the month and just using that. In which case I'd actually save money thanks to the drop in maintenance fee from €4 to €2.

Will be doing the same, very disappointed with these charges.

Bob24 wrote: »

With that in mind I feel more comfortable knowing that I also have a joint account with an Irish bank in case I am stuck.

Exactly the same with me. I get paid into the joint account so don't have to worry about an employer not accepting it.

Take an 'allowance' weekly into my own account, which is now going to be N26.

Irish banks don't seem to realise that the EU have opened up the financial markets like this. Plenty of options out there now. Monzo and Starling are another 2.

Suppose they're still relying on people just not changing old habits.

Wheety wrote: »
    Irish banks don't seem to realise that the EU have opened up the financial markets like this. Plenty of options out there now. Monzo and Starling are another 2.

I guess for now it is not having a significant impact on them ... but I noticed at the canteen at work that while it was almost none 2-3 years ago I now see quite a few Revolut and N26 cards being used, expecually younger demographics. I suppose this will slowly bite Irish banks and they will have to react ... and not only on pricing but also on features (for example BOI not only is more expensive to use than N26, but also has a very inferior app and doesn't offer mobile payments).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Wheety wrote: »
    I use a combination of N26 and Revolut. N26 as my main bank account, replacing Ulsterbank and using Revolut for my day to day spending. Like the saving vault in Revolut but Revolut is not yet a full bank account.

Will close my Ulsterbank accounts now. Current, saving and credit card.

Could i ask why you see revolut as not a full bank account yet?

I just got my revolut and N26 cards this week, so im about to switch but havent picked which one to use as my salary account. Thanks!

Bob24 wrote: »
    I’ve been without personal account at an Irish bank for 2 years (N26 instead) and no problem with it.

With that in mind I feel more comfortable knowing that I also have a joint account with an Irish bank in case I am stuck. But to be honest besides a cash deposit once in a while I never really need it.

Thanks for your feedback, I didn't think about keeping an Irish bank account but it's a better idea to keep Ulster Bank and only use it sparingly.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback, I didn't think about keeping an Irish bank account but it's a better idea to keep Ulster Bank and only use it sparingly.

And btw I just realised I did not specifically answer your questions, but yes N26 is a full fledged bank account (they have a German banking licence meaning you have regulatory protection including the 100000 euros deposit protection, the account supports all standard European banking services, and as per SEPA regulations these services have to work anywhere in Europe). So besides a few (illegal) exceptions yes you can move direct debits, standing orders, and payments from work to that account.

manonboard wrote: »
    Could i ask why you see revolut as not a full bank account yet?

I just got my revolut and N26 cards this week, so im about to switch but havent picked which one to use as my salary account. Thanks!

The post before this explains it.

Revolut has applied and been awarded an EU bank licence but isn't fully set up yet.

I have both. N26 as my 'main' bank account and Revolut for my day to day spending, lunches, drinks etc.

N26 allow you to make 5 ATM withdrawals for free per month and Revolut allow you to take out €200 month for free. I think it's handy to have both. Although I don't withdraw much cash these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Is there any sign of N26 adding credit cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Does N26 also do mortgages??

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Does N26 also do mortgages??

No, and there is no chance for it to happen anytime soon. A fairly small and new German bank with no physical presence here and no Irish legal team won’t hand out checks of 100s of thousands of euros with an Irish property as a collateral, especially knowing how hard it is even for local banks to repossess when mortgages are not being paid.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Sabre0001 wrote: »

When Ulster Bank go through with it this is what I'll be doing as well.

I see they put up some info:
    https://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/current-accounts/current-account-fees.html

All payments into your bank will be 20 cents, rotten banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Liberal_irony

Just curious what banks people would recommend moving to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Just curious what banks people would recommend moving to?

Just looking at KBC myself at the moment
    KBC Extra Account – €6 a quarter charge (avoidable).
    Any customers who don’t lodge at least €2500 a month at KBC will be charged the maintenance fee and also will be charged

30c for each ATM transaction and
    30 cent per cheque lodged in the quarter.
    No other transaction charges.

From money guide ireland

I could have went for EBS but its a little to basic for my type of banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just seen this absolutely scum. Think ill be loading up an n26 card once a month and use that.
    Had a big argument in branch when they refused to take a cheque over the counter.
    Complained and got 25 euro back lol.

The staff went been friendly and helpful to downright rude.

One told me they are only interested in mortgages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

How to piss off every customer is 5 easy steps:

BTWz8c2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

advertsfox wrote: »
    How to piss off every customer is 5 easy steps:

And they will charge you 80c for you to tell them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

I love the "Customer Scenarios" they give passed halfway on https://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/current-accounts/current-account-fees.html

Poor Marie isn't gonna be smiling so gleefully when she gets hit with those €14 per month charges. Imagine, getting charged 20 cent to transfer money from your current account to your savings account!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

van_beano wrote: »
    I love the "Customer Scenarios" they give passed halfway on https://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/current-accounts/current-account-fees.html

Just read the Marie example as it's the one you mentioned. Have to love the "Marie could reduce her fees by:

· Taking cash back at point of sale from a participating retailer at €0.20 per transaction or using the ATM (€0.35 per transaction) rather than taking cash at the branch (€0.80 per transaction)."

Number of transactions in "In Branch/Counter" column: 0

:D

🤪

Didn't realise that there's another 4 scenarios after those three I mentioned.

I would love to hear what their true feelings on the charges are, I doubt they're real customers anyways. Anne at the end will be grand, she's paying €0 as she's over 66. Anne doesn't look like she's short of a few euros either.

Transferred a couple of other regular transactions to N26 today.

Current regular transactions happening on Ulsterbank account = 0.

I'll still be charged €4 a month though just for having it. (Well €2 when these changes come in).

Just need to change my Dad's virgin media payments and the LPT for him too (both come out of my account) and then I can close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Not happy at all about this, reading http://www.moneyguideireland.com/comparison-of-bank-charges-in-ireland.html and it seems we really are a rip-off republic. Especially with all the fiasco like antics with their computer systems over the last few years!!
    The sooner more companies like N26 and Revolut come here the better. I'm fortunate enough that I have enough in a savings account earning basically nothing to cover the fees for now, but will be looking to move debits etc to somewhere else as UlsterBank have made it clear they are not interested in private customers.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    Not happy at all about this, reading http://www.moneyguideireland.com/comparison-of-bank-charges-in-ireland.html and it seems we really are a rip-off republic. Especially with all the fiasco like antics with their computer systems over the last few years!!
    The sooner more companies like N26 and Revolut come here the better. I'm fortunate enough that I have enough in a savings account earning basically nothing to cover the fees for now, but will be looking to move debits etc to somewhere else as UlsterBank have made it clear they are not interested in private customers.

That's the thing, I have €3k sitting in my account doing absolutely nothing and now they'll be charging me the extra €2 per month for the privilege.

Off topic, I actually previously informed them of the stupidity of having such a high balance sitting in a front line account which could be open to fraud if bank cards get skimmed. They don't listen.

They don't listen to a lot of things that I contact them about, I'm probably on their blocked list now. 32 years I've been with them since they gave me the Henry Hippo money box. It's been a good run and we've been lucky enough with the "free" banking up until now.

Advertisement