Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on the Shannon

Options
  • 29-10-2019 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

I went fishing on the Shannon last week around clonmacnoise, just as I was setting up, hundreds of starlings were flying together overhead, it was an amazing sight, later on that day I seen loads of lapwings . I've only ever seen one before and that was in my backgarden during the heavy snow we had last year. I live in Kildare so that's meant to be a bit strange seeing it tgere . Loads of cormorants , a dozen swans flying in a v formation overhead, and birds that I've never seen before like the little egret, Curlew and great created grebe. I had a fantastic day even tho I didn't catch anything. It make you want to buy a decent camera and take pictures of them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I went fishing on the Shannon last week around clonmacnoise, just as I was setting up, hundreds of starlings were flying together overhead, it was an amazing sight, later on that day I seen loads of lapwings . I've only ever seen one before and that was in my backgarden during the heavy snow we had last year. I live in Kildare so that's meant to be a bit strange seeing it tgere . Loads of cormorants , a dozen swans flying in a v formation overhead, and birds that I've never seen before like the little egret, Curlew and great created grebe. I had a fantastic day even tho I didn't catch anything. It make you want to buy a decent camera and take pictures of them

The Shannon Callows are indeed a special place - should really have National Park status to help secure their future

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Lough Ree is a fantastic place for birds and wildlife too. It certainly would be great if large parts of the Shannon (the Callows, some of the tributaries, Lough Derg) were given National Park status or similar, where more money and focus could be put into their conservation, with increased tourism, local employment and better ecosystem services (fishing, flood attenuation) in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Lough Ree is a fantastic place for birds and wildlife too. It certainly would be great if large parts of the Shannon (the Callows, some of the tributaries, Lough Derg) were given National Park status or similar, where more money and focus could be put into their conservation, with increased tourism, local employment and better ecosystem services (fishing, flood attenuation) in mind.

The government can ****e on about climate change , carbon tax etc... But when it comes to truly looking after the environment they're nowhere to be found . Sure didn't Dublin council dump a load of topsoil all over a nature reserve in tallaght last week. Waterways Ireland are non stop up and down the canals cutting weed , reeds and banks , now they want to put cycle lanes all along the canals . Did you see the damage they done on the barrow during the summer, every tree and Hegde cut down along some stretchs because they may might scratch someone's boat. A tree fell into the my local canal during the summer , WI came out and cut down every tree and Bush along the stretch for a kilometre, Politicians act all environmental when the cameras are there but when it comes to doing anything they're nowhere to be found

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Is it lough ree or derg that there's meant to be eagles on??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Is it lough ree or derg that there's meant to be eagles on??

There has been up to two breeding pairs on Lough Derg until recently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement