Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Society shows a lot of hypocrisy.

If a man stops paying for a child he produced he's seen as scum and ostracised. He could potentially be summoned to court, attachments on his earnings etc.

If a woman abandons her baby down an alley or in a bin, she's offered "support and help".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

cms88 wrote: »
    My gripe is how we're always fed the ''It's just as good as the mens game'' line. No no it's not. If it was they wouldn't have to keep telling us it is.

Every year there's some dispute between ladies football and camogie around fixtures. Every year we hear, mostly from women, about how this wouldn't happen to th men or the GAA have to do something about it. All the while ignoring the fact it actually has nothing to do with the GAA. Both ladies football and camogie associations are both mainly run by women and if men were running them a poorly a they do there would be countless investigations around it etc

And even more so, whenever there is a segment exploring the coverage of women's sport, almost every time they have militant female journalists or sports stars bemoaning how women's sport isn't getting the same attention as the male equivalent. They are great at complaining about inequality, to the extent that you'd immediately change the channel, or skip over the newspaper article.

And on the Women's Gaa Football. When the Men's All Ireland is on not a single seat is empty. That's 84,000 people watching. At a conservative estimate if the seats were available there would be at least 50% more in attendance. That's 125,000 or more. Now assuming that 30% of those are females - that means over 35,000 of the "fairer sex" are either in attendance, or would be if they could score themselves a ticket.

In the Women's Final(s) - there's usually 3 - Senior, Junior, and Intermediate. That's six Counties taking part; whereas in the men's it's usually a maximum of 4, including the minor teams. Sometimes a County might have a team in both finals - the likes of Cork/Kerry/Mayo/Galway/Dublin/Tyrone.

Add to that the prices for the Women's are about a quarter of the men's. Yet, they'd be lucky to fill a third of Croke Park.

Speaks volumes to me about the 'quality of the Women's game'. Naturally, there are other variables that skew my written on the back of a fag box statistics, but the numbers don't lie...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I was at an All Ireland ladies club final years ago (my sister was playing). The standard was so atrocious it was actually really entertaining. It was comical.

have you watched womens darts ?

watching two heavy pint swiggers chuck at double 1 for ages ?

so bad its actually funny too...for all the wrong reasons

^^^

A sixty year old postwoman is one of the highest ranked in that discipline :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

There's a certain type male singer of late that is completely over rated. The like of John Legend, Lewis Capaldi etc. I just don't get how people like the way they screech and roar their way through thoroughly average ballads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

The RTE Player is very good. 100% reliable, never have any problems with buffering, crystal clear HD quality. The rewind/return to Live feature works perfectly and seamlessly every time. Sometimes the programme comes on without having to watch any ads beforehand.

A lot of "New" (some may be re-regs; but it's a free Country, so if that's their choice, so be it) posters seem to only be interested in getting threads they don't like shut down. Another cultural thread died today. It's crystal clear to me that there's a bias and tolerance in favour of the 'pro' side on these divisive issues..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Antares35 wrote: »
    There's a certain type male singer of late that is completely over rated. The like of John Legend, Lewis Capaldi etc. I just don't get how people like the way they screech and roar their way through thoroughly average ballads.

I cant stand Lewis Capaldi, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith. They have the sexuality of a wet sock.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,676 ✭✭✭✭walshb

dubstarr wrote: »
    I cant stand Lewis Capaldi, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith. They have the sexuality of a wet sock.

This is not the popular opinions thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Unpopular opinion is that I actually really like Lewis capaldi, Ed sheeran & Sam Smith:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Unpopular opinion is that I actually really like Lewis capaldi, Ed sheeran & Sam Smith:D

Who they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Who they?

They're on YouTube atm:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

In my opinion, it is very unfair that child benefit is 140 per month for one child, 280 per month for 2 children but if you have twins it's 420. I can understand how having twins would be a bigger cost outlay for say, the first year, but after this it's pretty much the same cost wise whether you've two the same age or two that are say 14 months apart. Over 18 years, someone with twins will get an awful lot more than someone with Irish twins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

A lot of "New" (some may be re-regs; but it's a free Country, so if that's their choice, so be it) posters seem to only be interested in getting threads they don't like shut down. Another cultural thread died today. It's crystal clear to me that there's a bias and tolerance in favour of the 'pro' side on these divisive issues..

I am agree and am absolutely convinced there are a handful of users who im just going to identify as ‘hard left’ who reg accounts to say what they view as reactionary far right things in threads to have them shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

As with a lot of things in recent times, we've seen the media are clearly only interested in one side of these issues..

Not sure this unpopular:

But, guys, please quit the fooking "we're pregnant" sh1t.....

You ain't pregnant, you tosspot!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

walshb wrote: »
    Not sure this unpopular:

i heard a guy say "we're of child"

I dont often advocate murder but....

Hope he got a kick in the bollix!!!!?

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Not sure this unpopular:

absolutely.

125 posts ago

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114997250&postcount=3643

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I don’t even understand that, what is it supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

There's nothing wrong with the term "wet pubs".

I don’t even understand that, what is it supposed to mean?

Some GoT type speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I am agree and am absolutely convinced there are a handful of users who im just going to identify as ‘hard left’ who reg accounts to say what they view as reactionary far right things in threads to have them shut down.

They should ask their doctor to write them a prescription for
    a life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The "far-right" in Ireland is an invention of the media. As elections show, extremism has no support in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I will give you an alibi.:D

keano_afc wrote: »
    The "far-right" in Ireland is an invention of the media. As elections show, extremism has no support in this country.

its so imaginary that the media has to lump in conspiracy theorists, reactionary bloggers etc.. into a political movement to pretend it exists.

Ireland has not elected a moderate right wing politician in decades, let alone a far right one.

its so imaginary that the media has to lump in conspiracy theorists, reactionary bloggers etc.. into a political movement to pretend it exists.

Ireland has not elected a moderate right wing politician in decades, let alone a far right one.

as the saying goes and aptly applies, "why let the truth get in the way of a good story"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

FF and FG are both centre right, though. I know on this forum that'd make them "extreme far left" but please, for once, just give it up. I know right wingers are all but immune to criticising their own but you can only deny reality for so long before other people get tired of it.

Advertisement