Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the government still operating at a loss today?

Options
  • 14-11-2015 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

If so, whose money are they spending at the moment and what are the terms of the bonds as laid out by lenders?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

euser1984 wrote: »
    If so, whose money are they spending at the moment and what are the terms of the bonds as laid out by lenders?

Thanks.

This must be another 'radio show'.
    What radio show is it?

Seriously, all this is available via Google.
    Every government expenditure/revenue report...
    Last months budget speech has some good lines on debt projections for the next few years..
    The NTMA site will hook you up for every bond sale & its terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

This must be another 'radio show'.
    What radio show is it?

Seriously, all this is available via Google.
    Every government expenditure/revenue report...
    Last months budget speech has some good lines on debt projections for the next few years..
    The NTMA site will hook you up for every bond sale & its terms.

The radio show is actually over now but I still want to look into everything more because I didn't have enough time to learn everything. I know you're saying it's online and stuff but I have so many tabs open at this stage on the IMF, bailout program, policies....I suppose I thought it might be handy for somebody to have that could help with those questions that you would fire over at someone more knowledgeable; to save a lot of work if you know what I mean....a chat room would probably be better I suppose.

I didn't take any interest in any of this mind draining stuff but the show was about the housing crisis so now I've started to look into everything properly right through to the workings of the IMF for example....even skipped over the WTO this evening....

I'd ask you to listen (to the show) but I'm not sure if that's a good idea, it would be in a pm anyway.....I don't know who you are except that you seem to often be quite short....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Am I right in thinking that you're a researcher looking to recruit someone to do your work for you? What's the pay for the successful candidate like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

euser1984 wrote: »
    I know you're saying it's online and stuff but I have so many tabs open at this stage on the IMF, bailout program, policies....I suppose I thought it might be handy for somebody to have that could help

Is that all? Would love to hear the condensed version myself, maybe in 200 words or less. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

The short answer to your question is yes. The government is still borrowing to finance the running of the country. Obviously if they were balancing the budget they would be spending less or taxing more in which case the economic growth would be a little less than the 6% that has been reported for 2015. (Borrowed money sloshing around in the economy does create the illusion of growth).

The deficit changes from year to year. For the last few years it has been falling but the deficit is not the major concern. The size of the national debt is a problem and it would also be a problem if the cost of borrowing and the cost of serving existing debt were to rise. Also, a recession could undermine the revenue base needed to service the national debt.

I thought it was funny when the ECB suggested that the Irish government should use excess revenue on paying down the national debt. This is because the ECB give the billions needed to bail out the banks and now they want the money back. They will get it too as long as things stay ok, but the next recession will bring back into focus the matter of the banks and who`s debt is it anyway. Mind you, I will not be taking sides, I will just sit back and enjoy the show.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement