Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying vendors in advance

Options
  • 27-11-2019 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hey all had anyone paid their Vendors in advance of the day? It seems like such an amount of money to have lying around when you factor in hand videographer hair make up etc etc

I’d like to pay in advance if I can but I suppose that comes with risk also. Just looking for some opinions

Cheers

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Generally photographers and videographers would get paid in advance. It's always good practice to do that anyway so as not to have a huge amount of envelopes with cash on the wedding morning.

Usually, if you've hired professionals (and not some Craigs list bargain basement supplier) you'd be safe enough.
    Be wary of suppliers looking to get paid only in cash, don't have proper contact details on their website or are too cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I'd be happy to pay in advance by card or PayPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭enricoh

My missus paid for the photographer fully in advance.
    She had to hound her to get photos out of her, think it was well over a year later we got them.
    I think half up front is loads, keeps them Keen to finish the job!
    Fully paid - meh, I'll do that next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

I wouldn't pay in full just in case

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

When we are paying our suppliers varies. I'd always make sure there's a contract anyway to cover you, and get them to update it to note down any money you have paid towards the final balance (or at least to confirm payment in writing).

We have paid our photographer around a third of the total as a deposit, and we'll pay the balance on delivery of the images. It says in our contract that he will give us a minimum of 400 high resolution images within four weeks of the wedding.

For our videographer, we've given a deposit and will pay her half of the remaining balance on the day of the wedding, then the rest when we receive the finished video.

I've already paid in full for the hair and makeup for me, my mum and four bridesmaids. However it says in our contract that I can cancel this up to 30 days before the wedding and receive a refund of everything except the cost of the trials (which I'm doing for me and my mum).

We have paid 40% of the total for our DJ and the balance is due a month before the wedding date.

The harpist who is playing at our ceremony will be paid the balance a month beforehand as well.

For the cake, we have paid a deposit and will pay the balance two weeks before.

For the cars, they want us to pay the balance a week before the wedding but said they will accept the money earlier if it suits us better to do it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Just be careful when paying in advance, there are good and bad out there

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056898849/1/#post83579869

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

enricoh wrote: »
    My missus paid for the photographer fully in advance.
    She had to hound her to get photos out of her, think it was well over a year later we got them.
    I think half up front is loads, keeps them Keen to finish the job!
    Fully paid - meh, I'll do that next week!

I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush based on your own experience (as horrible as that was for you). Most photographers will want to be paid in full in advance because the experience is that the exact opposite can happen. Couples come out the other side of the wedding, forget to pay the balance... it's slips... slips some more... and the photographer is in limbo with a days work done and a load of photos on the "editing floor" ready to go. So, it shouldn't be a red flag of any sort. It's fairly standard. The other approach is as Scarinae has it, paid out in installments with the final one on delivery of the photos... payment would (most likely) be before delivery as you could again have a couple "forget" to pay after receiving the photos.

The photographer you got should be ashamed of her behaviour and I think you got unlucky there (I would question the professionalism of the photographer in the first place for letting it go so long). Any decent reputable photographer will spell out how long it will take to deliver the photos (couple of weeks to a couple of months depending on their workload and process), and they will deliver in that timeframe. FYI too, the later into the year your wedding is, the longer it will take in general as there will be a build up of weddings from the busy Summer season for the photographer to edit.

Advertisement