Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Scroungers, dole, something, something, free houses, crusties, commies, something, Margret Cash, China.

I think I've covered all bases there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

Faugheen wrote: »
    I was there as well and they specifically did not block the Luas, or traffic going along the Quays.

Why bother even lying about this?
    They very clearly did both. See attached photo. Would you like to withdraw your claim of "lying?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

Oh and since we're all supposed to take climate change so seriously, how many of these plonkers would support the construction of a nuclear power plant in Ireland or new nuclear in the UK?

https://www.electricitymap.org/?page=country&solar=false&remote=true&wind=false&countryCode=FR

Because nuclear energy can totally decarbonise a power grid at reasonable costs. France right now is emitting 28g/kwh for its electricity which is among, if not THE lowest figure in Europe. And it's been a similar story every single day for the last 30+ years. By contrast, as of right now, Northern Ireland, which has been carpet-bombed with wind turbines, is emitting 381g/kwh.

I didn't bother asking the plonkers blocking the Luas tracks yesterday if they wanted to do that because I have a fair idea what the answer would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If I was in charge they’d be blasted with ice cold water, then baton charged.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

100% chance whoever posted this is a docile old man.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

They could do with a wash that's for sure.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

People under 35: *does anything*

Afterhours: NO THEY CANT DO THIS. CALL THE POLICE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

sk8erboii wrote: »

Tell us more about your massively important job hahahahaha

Edit: I wouldn’t say 36 is elderly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

People under 35: *does anything*

Afterhours: NO THEY CANT DO THIS. CALL THE POLICE

Ringing the Gardai would probably be a better solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

The protesters aren't going anywhere, they'll be here for as long as it takes, all summer probably.

The millennial generation see this as the civil rights of their era.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

If you want to know why we're ****ed you just have to look at this thread. The apathy and denial and ignorance towards the single biggest issue mankind faces is staggering.

Thankfully the posters here don't represent the majority opinion in this country if I had to guess the demographics of boards I would say it's mainly men in their late to mid-30s and predominantly hold right-wing opinions. From browsing r/Ireland on Reddit which is more popular amongst younger people the view of these protests seems to be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yurt! wrote: »
    Scroungers, dole, something, something, free houses, crusties, commies, something, Margret Cash, China.

I think I've covered all bases there.

To be honest - it's you who appear to be using the bulk of those terms. The only references to China I read were some comments re China's role as the largest carbon emitter globally etc.

Are you suggesting that criticism is not allowed? Why is that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Tell us more about your massively important job hahahahaha

Edit: I wouldn’t say 36 is elderly.

Ah leave him alone, he will probably tell his "mom" on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

2s6rot.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭Allinall

The protesters aren't going anywhere, they'll be here for as long as it takes, all summer probably.

The millennial generation see this as the civil rights of their era.

They’ll eventually get jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Are you ruling out the compulsory army service so?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

RHJ wrote: »
    Thankfully the posters here don't represent the majority opinion in this country if I had to guess the demographics of boards I would say it's mainly men in their late to mid-30s and predominantly hold right-wing opinions. From browsing r/Ireland on Reddit which is more popular amongst younger people the view of these protests seems to be positive.

Green Party resurgence? LOL.

Will they give up their gap year and their grand world tour and carbon footprint? Will they fcuk!

Ah they'll grow up eventually and the only thing they'll worry about around election time is how much disposable income they will have in their hot little hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Green Party resurgence? LOL.

Will they give up their gap year and their grand world tour and carbon footprint? Will they fcuk!

Ah they'll grow up eventually and the only thing they'll worry about around election time is how much disposable income they will have in their hot little hands.
    I'm a man in my late thirties and my primary concern is environmental policy. Being worried about disposable income doesn't mean you're grown up. It means you're a bit poor or a bit greedy. Personally I worry about the state the world will be in when my kid is my age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Effects wrote: »
    Do you think they only protest and that’s it?

They were out this morning, cleaning the coast and public amenity at Dollymount.

Meanwhile you’re probaly still at home, moaning about people who care about trying to make their city, country, world a better place.

That was these guys

https://bullislandactiongroup.ie/2019/04/20/easter-weekend-clean-up/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Let's face it, and I'm not trying to be cute, people like yourself are unlikely to ask a politician who comes to your door next general election season about climate policy, and are even more unlikely to vote along those lines. So how seriously you take it is a question that will be left hanging in the air.

Don't worry, you weren't cute. Just ignorant.

You have little idea of my political leanings and even less of an idea of what I would ask a politician seeking my vote. How you could begin to think you have any idea of such is ludicrous.

At least these people are making a nuisance of themselves (and the intention is to be a nuisance).

Looking at these people you have two options:

1. "Check out these crusties, police should baton them back to their crusty camps."

Or,

2. "Hey, maybe they're on to something here. Perhaps I could change my consumption behavior somewhat and maybe encourage policy makers to do more."

Only two options, huh? How very black and white of you. How very, "If you're not with me you're against me".

Here's an option 3 for you. Climate change is the second biggest hurdle we will face over the next hundred years as a species and is more important than virtually everything else. However what these "crusties" as you call them are doing......is of absolutely ZERO consequence to this and this so-called protest will achieve nothing. This is, without a doubt, one of the worst ways of going about what they claim they wish to achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

And where were you this morning?

Down working at the cleanup at Dollymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Hal3000 wrote: »

With a crossover between both groups.
    Want me to draw you a venn diagram?

ER Ireland wants a declaration of emergency, zero emissions by 2030 and consideration for poor people. ER UK wants a state of emergency, zero emissions by 2025 and a citizens assembly.

Clear focused demands are good. The yellow jacket movement in France demonstrate why consideration for poor people is probably necessary, though I reckon the motivation for that point might be more idealistic and less pragmatic than that angle.

Apparently the 2025 target is criticized as fanciful. So maybe the 2030 one is more credible.

To not be a hypocrite, in the next few years I need to ditch my cars and disconnect my boiler, not fly, not eat goods transported by plane, not eat beef.

I guess few goods are transported by plane anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

At least they are out making a point that will hopefully get some notice in the public domain and force politicians to sit up a bit. More power to them even if some of them are treating it as a lark.

We have all seen how messed up the weather has been the past 5 years or so. It’s not going to get any better if we don’t actually take notice.

Good to see this kind of protest happening more and more in Europe. Also great to have the primary/secondary kids out protesting, as they will be the ones suffering in 30 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

seamusk84 wrote: »
    At least they are out making a point that will hopefully get some notice in the public domain and force politicians to sit up a bit. More power to them even if some of them are treating it as a lark.

We have all seen how messed up the weather has been the past 5 years or so. It’s not going to get any better if we don’t actually take notice.

Good to see this kind of protest happening more and more in Europe. Also great to have the primary/secondary kids out protesting, as they will be the ones suffering in 30 years time.

They will be suffering alright if the doomsday cult gets its way, paying carbon taxes left right and center with less freedom to improve their lot than any generation that came before them.

They will be suffering alright if the doomsday cult gets its way, paying carbon taxes left right and center with less freedom to improve their lot than any generation that came before them.
    That's the fault of the generations before them though, especially those with living members.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

That's the fault of the generations before them though, especially those with living members.

So why not subsidise 'green' alternatives for energy, transport etc instead of penalising people via carbon taxes to the point where a bowl of run straight through you lentil soup will be an extravagance. Taxing people to the the point where peoples backs will be to the wall will backfire badly in the not so distant future. Just Look at Paris today.

So why not subsidise 'green' alternatives for energy, transport etc instead of penalising people via carbon taxes to the point where a bowl of run straight through you lentil soup will be an extravagance. Taxing people to the the point where peoples backs will be to the wall will backfire badly in the not so distant future. Just Look at Paris today.
    Sounds good. Do extinction rebellion advocate taxes over incentives then?

You need taxes to finance incentives obviously, so the two measures would go hand in hand really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Protesting is fine and its great that they're getting attention for these issues. I'd be interested to see how many people who attended actually get involved in community or volunteer related environmental initiatives. We struggle to get volunteers at beach cleans especially anyone under 30 which seems to be most of the people at the protest.

• Advertisement

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Protesting is fine and its great that they're getting attention for these issues. I'd be interested to see how many people who attended actually get involved in community or volunteer related environmental initiatives. We struggle to get volunteers at beach cleans especially anyone under 30 which seems to be most of the people at the protest.
    Cleaning the beach is great community minded stuff. I did a couple of things like that with conservation volunteers ireland when I was young. I guess it would prevent some level of harm to wildlife including sea creatures. But I don't see how it affects greenhouse emissions or global warming.

Advertisement