Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

No doubt a new team of about 25 staff has been assembled to work on the app on the RTÉ side in addition to the external developers that’ll be brought in to do the actual work….

and of course those 25 staff will all need to be backfilled in the positions that they were doing nothing in anyway by other staff, temps and new hires…

and of course everyone gets an allowance for the inconvenience…

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Emer O Kelly wasn't happy on Pat Kenny.

Not a woman to scorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Did she announce the Leaving Cert results? Did she say she'd take a pay cut? Did she mention what the relationship was like with Dee Forbes? Did she talk about the service that the public receive and the direction that RTÉ went?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

With people like this there are always unlimited funds. The government should step in no doubt.

The public have made the decision around the current public broadcasting services, there are very limited funds available, and punters are voting with their feet. It is great to see the people make their own choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Not economically viable to move the big top out of Montrose and down the country according to their report

absolute bullsh1t

They couldn’t have those darlings having to put themselves out having to travel from the leafy suburbs down the grim Naas Road to go to work everyday is the real answer

all these decisions should be taken out of their hands the same as any other bankrupt company

• Advertisement

Watch the segment on the 9 o clock news reporting on their 50 million euro taxpayer bailout

telling us we will be happy about this

even joking about flip flops

makes you sick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

Stop watching this absolute hames of a half arsed psy-op propaganda station. Nothing is ever going to change at RTE. But you can change your own well being and ignore this absolute total hames of a mess. You're going to literally miss nothing and actually feel better for it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

If you are resident and paying tax in this country you are paying for this

Sure we are also paying for about 250,000 other things in this country that don't work either, from government policies to roads to health care. The difference is with RTE is that you literally have the choice to ignore its absolute total hames of a mess, it wants to broadcast its noise straight into your face, right into your living room, time when you want to relax and forget about all of the other messes we have to pay for by actually getting up and doing a real days work. If you are watching or listening to this craic while also being driven demented by their total fraudulent criminality then they are literally laughing at you, and they are.

All you have to do is switch their swindle off. If everybody did the same thing they wouldn't have the gas to laugh at any of us because they would finally know their swindle game is truly finished.

Fair point but it’s very difficult to do

to ignore being rode by these people

• Advertisement

You can do it man, I did it, I remember you from the Liveline threads, you were very funny up on that. But I can't even listen to that mess anymore, I can't watch or listen to any of their total disingenuous output, it literally makes you feel bad. Just try stop watching it, please, you won't regret it. Most of my free time in the evening now is reading, listening to music, watching films from my own collections and browsing on the internet. I literally do not watch TV anymore. I don't mind if I have to pay for it, just as long as I don't have to see it. That should be RTE's new slogan. That station and it's output is literally that bad.

And when the unions get involved with their mouths frothing, threatening strike action... let them at it... strike away and see how much they are really missed.... and how much the public really care about them....

As expected, and right on queue…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And as the poster you quoted, dare you to go on strike, save even more money, don't think anyone would even notice it and then even more reason to slash more at rte

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Prime time tonight.

Miriam talking about rte money crisis and overpaid staff, with no shame whatsoever

250k to appear on the radio once a week for an hour or so, and introduce 2 pieces to camera on PT for maybe a handful of mins

And they wonder why they are in trouble. Or David McCullough reading the 6 1 news for 195k.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Windowsnut

Cheese or snow???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

RTe interviewing themselves discussing the trauma of having to take a pay cut.

Sadly, we all know it's the folks who genuinely had to take the hardest pay cuts who'll be cut like chaff. It'll be interesting to see how or if the pay cuts will be genuinely implemented.

I remember a few months back Claire Byrne became 'emotional' (or as emotional as an automaton can get) on her radio show. I'd say she was crying because she knew a pay cut was on the way.

They even interviewed Larry Bass... but failed to mention he used to be on the RTE board.

Wasn't this the same guy who was whining that if the license fee wasn't increased, there'd be no Dancing with the Stars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The best two channels were the +1 channels

Especially watching sport on rte 2 +1

How much could those channels actually cost to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why is it that, in the past two decades, the producer of Sunday night entertainment on RTÉ 1 has to be either ShinAwil (which it has been for most of the past 20 yeaars) and Tyrone Productions? Why can no other independent producer get a look-in?

• Advertisement

But it's all changing now to independent producers, oh wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's Larry Bass ShinAwil and Moya Doherty's Tyrone Productions.

Mad how the same names keep cropping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Kevin Bakhurst was on Newstalk this morning being interview by Ciara Kelly.

I have to say, the man gave a solid interview, he answered every question well.

He clearly has a vision and REAL plan for RTE.

I genuinely hope he does well.

You would hope that he is the genuine article... but will RTÉ/Unions break him before he can fix RTÉ?

as ultimately any 'fixing' that takes place is going to mean a lot of freeloaders & deadwood management getting the chop, or having their obscene salaries chopped, so naturally they will try to block him at every single turn, and make his plan nigh on impossible to implement...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Catherine Martin apparently signalling the government's determination to make a call on a long-term funding model for RTE before the end of its term.

Emphasising she believes direct excequer funding should be on the table. Is that a straw in the wind I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Direct exchequer funding is the easiest at the moment politically as a new tax would go down very badly.

It does carry a lot of long term risk. It would make RTE beholden to the department and charges of at least passive influence over news reporting would be easy to make. It would also mean that it would be a fund to be squeezed during lean economic times.

There is no easy political choice as all carry risk.

My bet is that there will be some kind of media charge that other media companies, web and print will have access to as well as RTE. Government will likely look for cross party support for this.

If every media outlet gets some sweeties the thinking will be that opposition won't be able to mass. The bitter pill will be swallowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It would make RTE beholden to the department and charges of at least passive influence over news reporting would be easy to make.

But that would apply to any government, arguably to an SF-led one most of all (in the sense RTE would be watched most closely for signs of such bias under an SF government)

It would also mean that it would be a fund to be squeezed during lean economic times.

Don't think this is likely to materialise unless the government of the day is looking to show in a performative way how 'fiscally responsible' it is, which Irish governments never are in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,626 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We thought that with Forbes. An outsider who actually had a relevant and impressive CV.

The first outside DG in RTEs history.

Kevin is basically a journalist and editor and has worked for RTE before.

I also hope he does well do but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It would make RTE beholden to the department and charges of at least passive influence over news reporting would be easy to make.

Governments already control RTE's funding. They've refused to allow a licence fee increase for years. They can agree (or not) RTE to hive off services like orchestras and keep that funding, they can agree (or not) to allow advertising on new services like RTE News channel, they can change how much programming RTE must provide for free to TG4, etc. etc. etc.

Basically everything except ad income is either provided by or controlled by the government.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I used to pay the TV licence but stopped when the TUBS thing blew up. It would only be going to pay back taxes etc at this point.

Will it ever be collected through Revenue ? I believe not. Just another water charge.

Advertisement