Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paying someone to trace

• 12-08-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭

I was wondering is there any places (pref around or close to dublin) that do this service as I do not have enough time to do any tracing of my own. I dont wish to be shuffling/scrolling through thousands of records looking for myself.
    I was looking at tracing back as far as the 1500's for any prominent family figures in history, is this even possible?
    I am not familiar with the tracing process at all and came to this forum to gain some insight on this! If my Surname is of Welsh Origin is it possible to trace it back as far as it goes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Unless you happen to be descended from a prominent family (and can find your connection in the past 150 years), you might consider yourself lucky to get back to the early 1800s. It depends on a variety of different things. I've been working on my entire family tree and have managed to get all of my lines back to someone born in the 1820s/1830s, but only a handful any further back. The farthest I've gone is the 1790s.

1500s may not be possible. It could be, but to expect it would be foolish.

EDIT: Correction, one set of great-great-grandparents has stumped me in the early 1900s (which is incredibly frustrating).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

As RGM said, if you're family is 100% Irish then chances are that you won't get beyond the early 19th century or you just won't have the details to be able to isolate one family from another.

Pinky has a thread which gives a lot of advice which you could look at but IMO there's no point in paying someone to find out that it can't be done. I'd either do it myself or find out if someone here has some free time to help you. Get back to the 1901 census and see where you stand.

Edit : Have you found your family in the 1901/1911 records?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I have been lucky enough to trace all my lines back to all my 16 gt gt grandparents (born late 1790s early 1810s). Of these, only about 4 go no further back! And this is after over 25 years of research.

If you don't want to do the research yourself, you will have to pay a professional genealogist. Unfortunately, I don't know of any. The more unusual the surname, makes it easier to find ancestors as there are less names to deal with.

Personally, I find that much of the fun is doing it myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Gandalph,

What the others say is true. I'm working on my genealogy over 10 years and the only line into the 18th century is my Welsh branch.

If you want, send me a pm, I could do a look online and assess whether it's worth you paying for a more exhaustive search.

P.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Now that I've gotten into it, I couldn't trust anyone else to do my family tree. I've seen how easy it can be to assume things and imagine connections where there are none.

And because of that, I'm habitually suspicious of everyone else's findings. Can't help it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

RGM wrote: »
    Now that I've gotten into it, I couldn't trust anyone else to do my family tree. I've seen how easy it can be to assume things and imagine connections where there are none.

And because of that, I'm habitually suspicious of everyone else's findings. Can't help it. :)

I'm the same with that - the amount of shaky tree data online and referenced in queries is scary sometimes. The owners often mention 'professional' researchers, but I have my doubts they were, and in some cases hope they were not - wild assumptions produced with no evidence, let alone proof. Came across some 'professional' research this morning were a baptism was produced - a closer look show it was from the wrong century! Of course there are reputable professional researchers out there - but the good work costs money, and these people have to make a living.

I'd hate to think how many trees out there could be disproved by a couple of minutes of basic research..

(rant over thank you :) )

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Gandalph,

I work as a pro genealogist in the US and a good pro can often be very valuable for someone who does not have the considerable amount of time that you need to have to do your family tree to a high standard.

If you are interested in hiring someone in Ireland treat it like hiring any other professional. They should be a member of the Association of Pro Genealogists in Ireland and after that have considerable experience, relevant qualifications and expertise in what you need e.g. Irish/Welsh ancestry.

My understanding is that 40 euro per hour is the average rate in Ireland.

Ask for a look at some prior work they did and make sure every claim they make in the report is fully cited and they DO NOT base their research on published family trees with no references (what other posters are referring too).

Make sure you have a written understanding before you pay in relation to the aims of the research, how long it will take and any costs not included in the research fee.

This page should help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Gandalph,

I work as a pro genealogist in the US and a good pro can often be very valuable for someone who does not have the considerable amount of time that you need to have to do your family tree to a high standard.

If you are interested in hiring someone in Ireland treat it like hiring any other professional. They should be a member of the Association of Pro Genealogists in Ireland and after that have considerable experience, relevant qualifications and expertise in what you need e.g. Irish/Welsh ancestry.

Ask for a look at some prior work they did and make sure every claim they make in the report is fully cited and they DO NOT base their research on published family trees with no references (what other posters are referring too).

Make sure you have a written understanding before you pay in relation to the aims of the research, how long it will take and any costs not included in the research fee.

If I'd been paid 40 euro an hour for the amount of time I've spent researching my family tree, over the past 25 years or so, I'd be a millionaire by now!!!!

shanew wrote: »
    I'm the same with that - the amount of shaky tree data online and referenced in queries is scary sometimes. The owners often mention 'professional' researchers, but I have my doubts they were, and in some cases hope they were not - wild assumptions produced with no evidence, let alone proof. Came across some 'professional' research this morning were a baptism was produced - a closer look show it was from the wrong century! Of course there are reputable professional researchers out there - but the good work costs money, and these people have to make a living.

I'd hate to think how many trees out there could be disproved by a couple of minutes of basic research..

(rant over thank you :) )

S.

I don't have any experience with pros, but places like Ancestry.com can turn errors into viruses. People get click-happy on there and just start adding and copying things from other trees, and then the next person copies it. Soon you have a bunch of people claiming to be related to some line going back centuries, but none of them have sources and the original person to make the claim might not even have had a clue what they were doing.

Now, Ancestry is a valuable (if expensive) resource for both primary source material and family tree connections. I'm just saying you have a lot of amateurs on there running around and it can get out of hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

back when I started this I employed a researcher here in Ireland to carry out some research of RC parish records. The report was well worthwhile, and using the details and film number as reference, I was able to start to learn how to search for myself. I dont realize it at the time, but it turns out this person is an AGPI member, and now turns up on various TV programs quite often (and it's not JG!).

I also employed a researcher in London for research at TNA (Kew) - cheaper than going there myself.

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Gandalph,

While I agree with Coolnabacky's advice in general, I want to point out that a lot of us genealogists are not members of the quite exclusive club that is APGI - many of us are only working in the field part-time, and so on. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

A good point Pinky.

I think though, from the point of view of the client, there is recourse with an APGI genealogist due to the APGI Code of Practice.

If the client is not happy with the work or if the genealogist does not abide by the initial research agreement then a complaint can be made.

I'd imagine though that the need for that is rare enough.

Advertisement