Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IVF Newbie

Options
  • 21-06-2020 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I have secondary infertility. We have been trying to conceive for 4 years now. In this time I've had a miscarriage at the beginning then an eptopic pregnancy in 2018 which meant I had one fallopian tube removed. Then nothing for 2 whole years and suddenly I get a surprise I'm pregnant only to find at 6 week early pregnancy scan that I've had my 2nd eptopic pregnancy with my 2nd fallopian tube being removed. Now IVF is our only option.

It is a little sureal knowing that I can't conceive naturally and nobody my age is going through this. I am 32. That makes me feel lonely and that noone really understands what I am going through even though they try to support me..

I am just curious to know what is your own personal experiences. I will be going to a fertility clinic in Dublin.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hope2020

Hi there, I am not sure if there is anyone active on this forum. I just had my first ivf done at age 39 and I am currently pregnant. I am afraid to say it laud to not to bring bad luck. I wonder if anyone had successful ivf here and how long where you on cyclogest? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 smileylady4

Congrats to you and try enjoy your pregnancy. It must be tough but try take it day by day week by week! ☺ I Wonder....

• Registered Users Posts: 35 CCCHIA

Hope2020 wrote: »
    Hi there, I am not sure if there is anyone active on this forum. I just had my first ivf done at age 39 and I am currently pregnant. I am afraid to say it laud to not to bring bad luck. I wonder if anyone had successful ivf here and how long where you on cyclogest? Thanks

Hi there, I’ve had a successful IVF cycle - congratulations to you, it’s a rollercoaster and I know how nervous you must feel. I’m sorry to say that those nerves won’t leave you until you see him/her and then a whole new set of nerves start again that never stop LOL. Do try and enjoy it, and take care of yourself.

I was on injectable progesterone until I was 10 weeks and then on cyclogest for a further 4 weeks so in total 14 weeks - it does vary from clinic to clinic so give them a call. It also varies from cycle to cycle, it was the first time I had injectable progesterone as it was a frozen cycle - all other fresh ones it was cyclogest. It’s a pain taking it for so long but it’s worth all that mess.

Hi Hope2020

Did you find that your emotions were all over the place when you were on the IVF medication? Were you successful with your first round of IVF? I really hope this will work for me as I've no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 CCCHIA

Hi Hope2020

Did you find that your emotions were all over the place when you were on the IVF medication? Were you successful with your first round of IVF? I really hope this will work for me as I've no other option.

I think your emotions are all over the place due to the whole process, anticipation and knowing what’s on the line anyway and throw a load of hormone meds on top of that and the fact that you are producing HCG now then yes unfortunately your emotions are really up and down. It’ll all settle, I know is easy to say but you just need to take each day as it comes now, try and book in for an early scan and let that be your goal - you will hold your breath till then and then wait for the next scan and again it’ll continue like that until you meet your baby.

Look I’m not going to lie, it seems like early days for you, it’s a terribly fickle process and anything can happen but just remember there is nothing that you can do to keep that pregnancy. Keeping calm and relaxing is just for your benefit. You have to let nature takes its course now. I had a failed cycle (no pregnancy), spontaneous pregnancy resulting in miscarriage, one fresh cycle without transfer and then finally a frozen cycle whereby I put two back and one beautiful embryo stuck and his is my miracle baby.

I’m only tell you my journey because you asked, don’t compare to anyone else - I have tortured myself comparing to others and it doesn’t work. Keep positive - you are in a great position - you have every chance going for you that your pregnancy will continue perfectly - eyes on the prize now!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your responses. Yes, it is an emotional rollercoaster and while I know I can not do anymore, this waiting game is a killer! I had a fresh embrios transfer, 2 were transferred and both were showing on week 6 scan. On week 8 only one was progressing with a strong heart beat. I know it is still early days and anything can happen.... my clinic wants me to stop cyclogest at week 9 and I am worrying that this is too early. On most of the forums I read that women are keep taking cyclogest until week 12.... I have a spear box so I could technically keep taking it... dont know what to do...
    To all newbies, there is always a hope. I know few couples who where successful on 3rd go so dont give up. It is challenging process but it will be worth it at the end. My worst week was 2nd week after transfer - I had symptoms of over stimulation but didnt have to go to the hospital. Now I am feeling ok. I dont have any significant pregnancy sign besides being tired at the evening. I used the clinic in Cork if anyone is looking for opinions. Let's stay in touch as it is great to be able to chat to someone that is going through the same process. Best of luck to everyone xxx

Sorry I didn't answer the previous question. Yes it was my first IVF long protocol. I tried short protocol but cancelled it before egg retrieval as I didnt produce enough eggs. Than Covid 19 hit and I have to postponed the treatment for few weeks. I found injections fine, felt a bit tired and bloated but that's all. If anyone has any other questions please feel free to ask. We are all in the same boat!

To smilylady - I have an ectopic pregnancy as well and my left tube was removed. Then I had one miscarriage very early on. I took few years break and we went IVF route. I understand your fear and all your emotions but remember you still have options. It might not happen naturally but there is still a hope in IVF. Try to think positive, go for walks, have a good diet and trust that it will happen:) I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks Hope 2020. I've an eptopic twice. It's not fun. Never heard of anyone having an eptopic.

Yes I will remain positive. I am hopeful that our first cycle will be successful.

Congrats on birth of your child through IVF.

As my 2nd Eptopic was in June I haven't had a menstrual cycle yet so we can't start yet.

That's OK though I know it time we can and I'm looking after myself in the meantime

CCCHIA wrote: »
    Hi there, I’ve had a successful IVF cycle - congratulations to you, it’s a rollercoaster and I know how nervous you must feel. I’m sorry to say that those nerves won’t leave you until you see him/her and then a whole new set of nerves start again that never stop LOL. Do try and enjoy it, and take care of yourself.

I was on injectable progesterone until I was 10 weeks and then on cyclogest for a further 4 weeks so in total 14 weeks - it does vary from clinic to clinic so give them a call. It also varies from cycle to cycle, it was the first time I had injectable progesterone as it was a frozen cycle - all other fresh ones it was cyclogest. It’s a pain taking it for so long but it’s worth all that mess.

Congratulations! It must have been a long journey for you and I am delighted that you had a successful pregnancy:) do you remember how long you had to take cyclogest for in fresh embrio transfer? My clinic told me to stop at week 8 and I am worrying about this a bit. Thanks for your reply:)

• Advertisement

Thanks Hope 2020. I've an eptopic twice. It's not fun. Never heard of anyone having an eptopic.

Yes I will remain positive. I am hopeful that our first cycle will be successful.

Congrats on birth of your child through IVF.

As my 2nd Eptopic was in June I haven't had a menstrual cycle yet so we can't start yet.

That's OK though I know it time we can and I'm looking after myself in the meantime

Take your time to recover as IVF is a demanding process. I am sure you will be fine. It seems that you can get pregnant - your tubes were not working promptly. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Have you choose a clinic yet?

Yes I have been told IVF is a lot emotionally and physically. Yes I have, I was referred to them by the gynecologist I was seeing. I am ready for it. It's been a long journey to get here. I'm trying to be patient and just go with the process it may be slow to start.

Hope you are doing ok in yourself

Yes I have been told IVF is a lot emotionally and physically. Yes I have, I was referred to them by the gynecologist I was seeing. I am ready for it. It's been a long journey to get here. I'm trying to be patient and just go with the process it may be slow to start.

Hope you are doing ok in yourself

CCCHIA wrote: »

I’m only tell you my journey because you asked, don’t compare to anyone else - I have tortured myself comparing to others and it doesn’t work. Keep positive - you are in a great position - you have every chance going for you that your pregnancy will continue perfectly - eyes on the prize now!

Wow your IVF story is so inspiring you have been through so much with IVF and you kept going. I am so happy for you that you got your miracle baby.

When you want something so bad you keep going.

I did my first round of IVF. I got 8 embryos. I am very grateful I know that is a lot. I had to do a frozen embryo transfer. So I was pregnant but 26th of Dec I started bleeding and found only at 5 weeks that I was having a miscarriage. We both had so much hope. We have a meeting with our fertility Doctor in a few days.

I remain hopeful but its tough. I feel like my body is failing me. I am 33 years of age. Hopefully there will be some investigations before our next Embryo Transfer.

Take your time to recover as IVF is a demanding process. I am sure you will be fine. It seems that you can get pregnant - your tubes were not working promptly. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Have you choose a clinic yet?

Thank you for you kind messages.

I did my first round of IVF x I got 8 embryos. I am very grateful I know that is a lot. I had to do a frozen embryo transfer. So I was pregnant but 26th of Dec I started bleeding and found only at 5 weeks that I was having a miscarriage. We both had so much hope. We have a meeting with our fertility Doctor in a few days

I remain hopeful but its tough. I feel like my body is failing me. I am 33 years of age. Hopefully there will be some investigations before our next Embryo Transfer.

To smilylady - I have an ectopic pregnancy as well and my left tube was removed. Then I had one miscarriage very early on. I took few years break and we went IVF route. I understand your fear and all your emotions but remember you still have options. It might not happen naturally but there is still a hope in IVF. Try to think positive, go for walks, have a good diet and trust that it will happen:) I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

I hope whatever journey you are right now that you are doing ok? Life can be unfair sometimes but I do belief we will all have our time for happiness and success! We just have to be patient. Easier said than done but it's one of the few things we can control especially when it comes to IVF.

Thanks for all your responses. Yes, it is an emotional rollercoaster and while I know I can not do anymore, this waiting game is a killer! I had a fresh embrios transfer, 2 were transferred and both were showing on week 6 scan. On week 8 only one was progressing with a strong heart beat. I know it is still early days and anything can happen.... my clinic wants me to stop cyclogest at week 9 and I am worrying that this is too early. On most of the forums I read that women are keep taking cyclogest until week 12.... I have a spear box so I could technically keep taking it... dont know what to do...
    To all newbies, there is always a hope. I know few couples who where successful on 3rd go so dont give up. It is challenging process but it will be worth it at the end. My worst week was 2nd week after transfer - I had symptoms of over stimulation but didnt have to go to the hospital. Now I am feeling ok. I dont have any significant pregnancy sign besides being tired at the evening. I used the clinic in Cork if anyone is looking for opinions. Let's stay in touch as it is great to be able to chat to someone that is going through the same process. Best of luck to everyone xxx

So happy for you Hope2020! Congrats on being pregnant. It's easier said than done but try to enjoy your pregnancy. You must be probably half way or more through your pregnancy now. Hope you are doing well and excited for your new arrival!!

Advertisement