Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda checkpoint pages on FB

Options
  • 20-01-2021 11:46pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Saw one earlier (Dublin). What's the idea I wonder?

Is it a heads up for folk who might be wanting to drive without tax, insurance, NCT, or license to avoid detection?

Do people check these pages before setting off on a journey or worse still check them whilst en route?

I think it's all pretty questionable.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

Is it a heads up for folk who might be wanting to drive without tax, insurance, NCT, or license to avoid detection?

Do people check these pages before setting off on a journey or worse still check them whilst en route?

Any thoughts?

Young lads I thought mainly that don't want to meet one

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Basically that's it, they want to warn others and hope to continue to drive stoned, coked up or other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Any thoughts?

Signed up to a couple for mostly speed traps. Haven't checked them in a couple of years so not sure if still going.

Telling about checkpoints I didn't like as who knows why a checkpoint could be set up. Could be to stop a dangerous criminal from escaping an area etc.

Basically that's it, they want to warn others and hope to continue to drive stoned, coked up or other issues.

Drug driving is rife with young lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I might remind a few, before the high horse brigade arrive, that there used to be a similar speed check thread on here many moons ago.

I know not identical but similar vibe

• Advertisement

pippip wrote: »
    I might remind a few, before the high horse brigade arrive, that there used to be a similar speed check thread on here many moons ago.

Random ones or the fixed ones?

The fixed ones were public knowledge

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hard to see any positive in them.

Criminals must love them. Free info on where the Gardai are (or may not be).

Prob why they started moving round

They'd be at random spots for a few minutes and move to the next location

You could meet them anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Surely something like Waze is a better option for this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Newuser2 wrote: »
    Random ones or the fixed ones?

The fixed ones were public knowledge

Both, was deemed illegal and shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

I have seen posts shared about houses and sheds or even dogs getting robbed in the area which is handy to know. They also can be good to know about delays, crashes and road works. I rarely check them though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

pinktoe wrote: »
    I have seen posts shared about houses and sheds or even dogs getting robbed in the area which is handy to know. They also can be good to know about delays, crashes and road works. I rarely check them though.

Sat nav is in car friendly and has to be a better bet. Traffic delays are shown in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Surely something like Waze is a better option for this

Same thing though. I'm far from an angel but as said earlier not all check points are for catching motorists, a few might get caught but if you are doing something illegal tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

What's the idea I wonder?
    Its for "the Bai's" so they know where not to drive

Yes

Most likely

Agreed

Any thoughts?
    For idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

It's a digital flash of the lights.

It's not in real time though, so unless you are glued to FB whilst driving what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's not in real time though, so unless you are glued to FB whilst driving what's the point?

They are probably glued to FB whilst driving.

They won’t get caught though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My sister used to drive unaccompanied, she had to check it every time she wanted to leave the house. Feck that...

It is on Waze. I've seen people watching videos while driving so having facebook open wound't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Del2005 wrote: »
    It is on Waze. I've seen people watching videos while driving so having facebook open wound't surprise me.

No it's not. Someone has to report it first on Waze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Yeah I don't like the sharing of checkpoints as it comes with so many issues.

But the ones that tell people where speed vans are I have no problem with. I was in a good one where I used to live. You'd know about speed vans, loose cows, people walking in dark clothing without a path at night, groups of cyclists. Floods. Trees down on the road etc. It was actually very good.

Just had a look at it now after at least 2 years and it's all checkpoints. not good

To be fair to the Gardai, they know about these pages and (pre-covid) checkpoints generally only lasted about 20 minutes anyway, and they'd pack up and move to a different road.

To be fair to the Gardai, they know about these pages and (pre-covid) checkpoints generally only lasted about 20 minutes anyway, and they'd pack up and move to a different road.

Yes and by the time somebody has posted a location to FB and the members have seen it it's probably too late.

tcawley29 wrote: »
    No it's not. Someone has to report it first on Waze.

They get to Facebook the same way they get to Waze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Del2005 wrote: »
    They get to Facebook the same way they get to Waze.

Waze has voice commands so you can still report things hands free.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 StemCell

Or just report a lot of false Garda checkpoints on Waze if you object to people breaking the law.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Waze has voice commands so you can still report things hands free.

Press a button on a touchscreen and it's done. Facebook is totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

I keep an eye on the Galway one at times. I don't care about checkpoints as everything is in order on my car. The page has nearly 76,000 likes so yes a lot are looking at it, no way is that number of people trying to avoid detection.

I don't look at or know what's on the other Gardaí pages, but this page is handy when there is a storm or flooding as it's more up to date in rural settings than apps or AA Road watch. If a road is impassable I want to know before I leave the house.

As mentioned earlier, they can alert people to robberies and crime in the area which I want to know about, so they act as a community watch page as well. BTW the community watch page in my area just seems to share posts from the checkpoint page.

There are some clowns in the comment section who do seem to be missing a disc or three, so the Gardai could check them out if they really wanted to. With ANPR and the mobility app, it's pretty risky to venture out without everything in order even with FB pages and app etc.

Isn't the population of Galway c.76000? They hardly all look at that page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Newuser2 wrote: »
    Drug driving is rife with young lads

More than young fellas:)

Advertisement